Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

It's like people forget about Brady and all the superstars that were late drafts or simply undrafted or taken after busts, and all the numerous high pick busts. As if the draft was a magical process.

People don't forget about Brady (by the way, who are all the superstars that were late draft picks or undrafted?  I got Romo and Warner and that's it)

But the smart money plays the probabilities.  The probability of a late-round pick becoming a servicable starter much less a superstar, is very very low.

The probability of a 1st or 2nd round pick becoming a superstar is lower than most people think, but it's higher than the above.

People will say I'm crazy but Peterman's style  has more than a  little Brady DNA in it, in his fast reads and fast release-times... TB always had a knock about his arm strength too, but he actually has way more ball velocity now than when he started, you CAN build armstrength

He could really surprise.  Maybe.

Pocket poise and the ability to make subtle moves to avoid pressure are also part of what makes Brady such a good QB.  Peterman has yet to show this under regular season game speeds against NFL caliber players with complex coverage and pressure schemes.  There is a long way to go before they should be mentioned in the same post for the purposes of comparison.

It's laughable that you're comparing this situation to Ben...

First off, you were wrong that he started the season as the Steelers Qb.

Second, that Steelers team was LOADED.  They had Ben as a game manager, throwing about 20 passed per game, he didn't throw more than 30 once his rookie season.  

Röthlisberger was putrid in his first SB

Pocket poise and the ability to make subtle moves to avoid pressure are also part of what makes Brady such a good QB.  Peterman has yet to show this under regular season game speeds against NFL caliber players with complex coverage and pressure schemes.  There is a long way to go before they should be mentioned in the same post for the purposes of comparison.

No disagreement with that

I get this, I do, but... Since it means nothing, which I agree, why delay the inevitable when starting experience is all Allen needs. Isn't it better to give him that in a season where the wins aren't expected or matter as much? 

For a couple reasons. First of all McDermott has preached an open competition since day 1 and there is no argument to be made that Peterman didn't win the competition. Part of the culture change means building that best man wins mentality and Peterman was the best man this offseason. More importantly our schedule the first three weeks is punishing and Allen showed in the Bengals game he isn't ready to face that kind of pressure. Maybe Peterman isn't either but if you hurt his development it doesn't matter in the long run. Plus we might as well see what our long term backup can do in a few games. This season is a wash. Next season the fun really begins.

• Like (+1) 2

People don't forget about Brady (by the way, who are all the superstars that were late draft picks or undrafted?  I got Romo and Warner and that's it)

But the smart money plays the probabilities.  The probability of a late-round pick becoming a servicable starter much less a superstar, is very very low.

The probability of a 1st or 2nd round pick becoming a superstar is lower than most people think, but it's higher than the above.

Of course higher draft picks have higher odds to be better! But then, once the draft is done, it's done. Time to evaluate what's in front of you by how they play. And as for superstar players, I didn't write QBs but players. But even so, Brady, Warmer, Romo: that's quite a trio right there! Warner was trowing cans in a grocery, out of football... hard to overtake that storyline. It beats a 5 INT first half.

That being said, I support Nate and all but yes still thinks Allen is the future here. And hopefully an elite franchise QB type of future! I would have been way more excited and on the edge to watch Josh start but will still support the team, QB and coaches to the fullest.

Do you think Peterman will do better or worse?  I'd take something like that in a heartbeat. Peterman will redeem himself and prove he belongs in the league. 

Better. I don't undestand your first post, maybe rhetoric

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman Named Starting QB

What a poor decision to announce the starter today.  What would Belichick have done?  He would have told the media and the fans that they'd find out on game day.   Why give Baltimore even the slightest hint, much less a definite statement, of whom to prepare for?

They would just prepare for both and it's not that big of a deal for them with each of them being inexperienced QBs. 

Nate won the job.  All this preaching about "the process" becomes bull **** to the team if this isn't the result. 

Josh had little shot to win it at the beginning of OTA's but closed the gap pretty significantly. 

My hope is this isn't a lost season because I believe Daboll can get the most out of what we have on Offense.  I keep thinking that the Patriots have never had a truly elite receiving corps (sans Randy Moss)  -- the system brought out the best in players like Welker, Troy Brown, Edelman.   They did have Gronk which is a huge advantage and safety blanket.   

Nate has trouble when the first read isn't there and when he has to throw to his right.  He doesn't anticipate d-back breaks on the ball for intermediate routes and doesn't always place the deep ball well.  That said, he's accurate in the short area, he has improved his arm strength, he's got some mobility and athleticism, he can move the pocket.  These are all things Daboll has seen and will avoid (weaknesses) and build upon (strengths).  There is enough here to win games if the Bills are aces on D and special teams-- which is possible.  Nate is also the best of the 3 options for the current state of this OL.

I also like the idea of Josh being the scout team QB for a few weeks.  The D will never face a stronger arm in the game..so it may be a good look.

So yeah-trying to look at the positive here.  I still don't think this is a year where the Bills contend for the post-season, but this coaching staff is good enough to prove me wrong.

Edited by JoeF

How was Peterman supposed to escape pressure in the Chargers game when he had pressure coming from all angles? Not to mention no receivers were getting open. The whole team left him out to dry.

He isn't a statue at all. He can move in the pocket pretty well. He's not a speed burner but he's not slow either.

I just hope the team gives him a little better chance this time around. That is a murderer's row defense to start the schedule.

Edited by suorangefan4
  • Like (+1) 1

Peterman reminds me a little of Alex Smith. I really think if Dabol does this thing right, Peterman might be pretty good. I really don’t think it’s a downgrade from Tyrod. I think KB will be the happiest player in the locker room. I hope on the first drive against Baltimore we try a 40 yard shot down field, just to show them we will push it with Nate. I’m very happy for the kid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I initially predicted 9-7 with a wild card birth.  After this announcement? 7-9

These might as well be the same result. Now that we've broken the drought I don't care about meaningless playoff berths where we have no real chance to win the whole thing. We aren't going to be good this year. That's what happens when you have $50 million in dead cap. We're gearing up for 2019 when our young cornerstones will have matured and we'll have $65 million in cap space. I won't be mad if we completely tank this year and get a top 3 pass rusher in the draft. I'm well past the point of rooting for 8-8 seasons.

How was Peterman supposed to escape pressure in the Chargers game when he had pressure coming from all angles? Not to mention no receivers were getting open. The whole team left him out to dry.

He isn't a statue at all. He can move in the pocket pretty well. He's not a speed burner but he's not slow either.

I just hope the team gives him a little better chance this time around. That is a murderer's row defense to start the schedule.

Like the following perhaps or maybe just take a sack instead of throwing the ball up for grabs.