Did McCarron cost us Mack?

4merper4mer

I highly doubt it.  

Mac got a big contract which I don’t believe the Bills have cap space 

jmo

Mack is now the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history. The deal, which averages $23.5 million per season, includes $90 million in guaranteed money and $60 million at signing, the source said.

The Bears gave up first-round picks in 2019 and 2020, a third-round pick in 2020 and a sixth-round pick in 2019

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

AJ's spectacular comeback vs the Da Bears may have convinced them that Mack was a necessity and caused them to up their offer, leapfrogging the Bills.  McDermot should have put in Logan Thomas for Q4.

...probably.....pretty easy to see getting torched by AJ would raise cause for concern and eventual panic mode.....two 1sts and $150 mil sure trumped McBeane's offer of Bob Foster and a conditional 6th....

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

AJ's spectacular comeback vs the Da Bears may have convinced them that Mack was a necessity and caused them to up their offer, leapfrogging the Bills.  McDermot should have put in Logan Thomas for Q4.

I think you can really trace this all back to TPEGS hiring GMTM and the subsequent trade for neck tatoo.Terry learned you never trade a 1st rounder, let alone 2..for any one person.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think you can really trace this all back to TPEGS hiring GMTM and the subsequent trade for neck tatoo.Terry learned you never trade a 1st rounder, let alone 2..for any one person.

The situations are different with NHL and NFL trades.  The Bills trades may not be perfect but I don't remember Kelvin Benjamin getting drunk and running over a Tim Horton's.

I can't blame Beane for this and I'm not even saying the Bills should have offered as much as the Bears, especially considering the contract.  But if the Bears thought about having a defense where they could be beaten by McCarron and where Foster could actually make a catch?  That is not good.  In the long run it might have helped us or hurt us.  We'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Bro my god, you cannot be f’real, right?

• Like (+1) 1

The 4th preseason game consists of guys who will either be cut, traded, or barely make the team. The Bears didn't go for Mack because of that game.

Here's why the Bears wanted an elite pass rusher:

usa_today_10340654.0.jpg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

When the bills pluck a pass rusher out of this next years draft and we have that player in a rookie deal we will feel a lot better about not getting mack

YOU in particular will feel a lot better.............for a good couple years at least......... even if that pass rusher turns out to be a complete bust.:thumbsup:

It's a nice looking draft for pass rushers John but ones like Mack are rare.........he's well above the level of a Mario Williams or Aaron Schobel so it's been forever since they had a front 7 player that good despite a couple decades worth of high picks.

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

When the bills pluck a pass rusher out of this next years draft and we have that player in a rookie deal we will feel a lot better about not getting mack

Lmao no. Unless that player is as good or better than Mack, that’s a foolish thing to say. That’s like having a shot at Bruce Smith and passing on him because you think there’s a decent enough pass rusher next year, who doesn’t exist. Mack is legit

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

If anything that slaying by mcCarron should have yielded a player for player swap for Mack. No clue why he settled for a fifth ?

1 minute ago, Gigs said:

Lmao no. Unless that player is as good or better than Mack, that’s a foolish thing to say. That’s like having a shot at Bruce Smith and passing on him because you think there’s a decent enough pass rusher next year, who doesn’t exist. Mack is legit

devels advocate here...boy got his butt completely shut down by the Bills last year... I mean shut out!!! against our weak ass offense and that freaking idoit coordinator. And he be turning 28...and he just got paid $90M guaranteed. 

Let's judge this deal in two years..I for one am happy the Bills stayed far far away

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

devels advocate here...boy got his butt completely shut down by the Bills last year... I mean shut out!!! against our weak ass offense and that freaking idoit coordinator. And he be turning 28...and he just got paid $90M guaranteed. 

Let's judge this deal in two years..I for one am happy the Bills stayed far far away

This. Pretty much this right here

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Why would anyone invest that much money into a guy 27 ,  who is undersized and coming off a off year?  They gave up (2) #1 picks and then signed him sick level money,  he may have 2-3 good seasons left in him.  We are not talking about Bruce Smith or Reggie White here

Just makes Beane look like a fool only getting a second rounder for Sammy who was only 23 when traded.  Should have been min 1st rounder