Tracker: Bills' 2018 Practice Squad - All Ten Spots Now Filled

26CornerBlitz

Fred Jackson comes to mind. 

Jason Peters, too. That's an All Pro and a franchise running back. If I get someone like that every 10-15 years it's worth having a practice squad.  

Plus occasional serviceable guys, like a George Wilson.  

• Like (+1) 1

WTF?

Mike Love - Beach Boy (like I said earlier, sometimes they just fall to me)

Gerhard deBeer - Blood Diamond (with a name like deBeer, gotta get "diamond" in there)

Keith Ford - Gerald R (chosen over Model T, but agree, not one of my better monikers, feel free to do better)

Fred Jackson comes to mind. 

I searched and could not find that Fred was ever on the practice squad.  Anybody got a 2005 or 2006 Bills media guide?

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Tracker: Bills' 2018 Practice Squad - All Ten Spots Now Filled

I guess they are not adding a practice squad QB.

I thought with Allen as the backup, they might want him preparing to step in for the starter, just in case. 

But they must want him getting all the scout team reps. 

I get their thinking. All the reps will definitely do him good. Where as if he were strictly the backup he wouldn’t get nearly as many practice reps. 

I guess they are not adding a practice squad QB.

I thought with Allen as the backup, they might want him preparing to step in for the starter, just in case. 

But they must want him getting all the scout team reps. 

I get their thinking. All the reps will definitely do him good. Where as if he were strictly the backup he wouldn’t get nearly as many practice reps. 

That's pretty much what McDermott said in this morning's presser.  He said Allen will run the scout team as well as get developmental reps in other parts of the practice.  I agree with you that this could be very good for him.

• Like (+1) 1

Then they'll go out and acquire someone from a practice squad or a sign a street free agent.  The pro personnel department knows what's out there. 

And that guy won’t know the offense.  If we had a better OL, I could get on board with not having a qb on the ps.  Week 2, McCarron couldn’t finish the game.  Week 3 Allen got knocked out,.  Week 4 McCarron was getting smashed.  Ravens, Chargers, Vikings.  I’ll go on record as saying Peterman (or Allen if Peterman gets yanked) won’t make it through those 3 games without having to leave due to injury.   It’s going to a rough go up front unless Daboll can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Help my memory. Please remind me of any PS player that has ever done anything in the NFL? Bills? I can recall a few WR call ups when the Bills lost their top 4 or 5 wrs to injury.  

Fred Jackson was on the Bills practice squad.

Have to say I'm surprised Ford made it - he was a disappointment by all accounts I heard - hopefully he develops

Me too.  Poor vision and slow as a snail.

We really should have a qb on the PS,  have a feeling we’re going to have a carousel going on behind this OL.  I’ll give Peterman 3 weeks before he’s hurt.

To be eligible for PS you can't have more than 2 years in league.  Doubt a QB that green would do any good.  He'd be inactive every game, so even if both QB's got hurt in same game, you couldn't use him anyway.

If a QB were to get hurt, better option is to sign a vet who's been around and maybe someone who has played in same offense.  And most of these guys if been around awhile, have played in every offense out there at some point. 

• Like (+1) 1

Then they'll go out and acquire someone from a practice squad or a sign a street free agent.  The pro personnel department knows what's out there. 

One of the many reasons to start Allen is because there is not a lot of practice time during the week at all because of the rules, and very little time to do anything except prepare your starters for the next game. The Bills made it a point to have Allen on Daboll's hip during a lot of training camp but there just isn't time to give him any reps or real practice. If he is the starter he gets all the practice time, too. 

One of the many reasons to start Allen is because there is not a lot of practice time during the week at all because of the rules, and very little time to do anything except prepare your starters for the next game. The Bills made it a point to have Allen on Daboll's hip during a lot of training camp but there just isn't time to give him any reps or real practice. If he is the starter he gets all the practice time, too. 

They are balancing trying to win with getting him ready as soon as possible.  Interesting to follow this as the season moves forward. 

• Like (+1) 1