Tracker: Bills' 2018 Practice Squad - All Ten Spots Now Filled

26CornerBlitz

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

One of the many reasons to start Allen is because there is not a lot of practice time during the week at all because of the rules, and very little time to do anything except prepare your starters for the next game. The Bills made it a point to have Allen on Daboll's hip during a lot of training camp but there just isn't time to give him any reps or real practice. If he is the starter he gets all the practice time, too. 

But doesn’t the backup run the scout team offense? Surely that’s valuable practice time for Allen. 

I would say the practice squad is a perfect spot for a hybrid player. Like a young joe Webb. A QB that can take snaps in a practice and not embarrass himself, but also a guy you can split out or play on STs. Maybe a guy that has a better chance to make the big team at a pos other then QB. But still would hold value in a situation where a team only wants to carry 2 QBs. That Braxton Miller would be a perfect ps guy. You can use him to give the QBs a blow but then also see if he can’t emerge at a dif position.

1 hour ago, eball said:

But doesn’t the backup run the scout team offense? Surely that’s valuable practice time for Allen. 

I would say that the starter gets 90% of the total coaching and the backup gets 10%. Maybe 80-20 if being generous. He's in all the meetings of course and watching a ton of film and talking to the coaches and listening to what they are telling Nate. So that is all valuable information. But he's not getting the real reps or schooling on what he is doing right or wrong running our offense. 

Hey @NewEra

It sounds like the Bills very well may end up with 3 QBs eventually. 

Heres what Brandon Beane just said in an Athletic interview -

https://theathletic.com/503339/2018/09/03/brandon-beane-qa-bills-gm-talks-qb-plans-o-line-state-aj-mccarron-trade-and-khalil-macks-price-tag/

What’s your comfort level of sticking with two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster, none on the practice squad and having Josh Allen run your scout team?

We’re weighing that. We’re going to get through this game, see where we’re at. [Wide receiver] Ray-Ray McCloud got nicked up, so we’re still seeing where he stands with things. Roster-wise, as a whole, lots of things still can fluctuate this week. We’ll see what’s out there. People are trying to stash guys. We really have not made a determination whether we want to go three on the active or one on the practice squad. It’s fluid, but this week we’ll have just two.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No Bills did not "let him" walk away.  Eugene Parker, now in hell, had his client hold out with three years on contract.  He did this kind of thing repeated to Bills and now he is negotiating for Satan.

Eugene Parker was one of the best agents in the business. He was very much respected throughout the league. He worked on behalf of his clients and not the teams they played for. It worked out wonderfully for Jason Peters. He ended up with a team that immediately gave him a bonanza contract, was a consistent all-pro, is a credible candidate for the HOF and has a SB ring in his trophy case. You may think otherwise but that is terrific representation for this player. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Eugene Parker was one of the best agents in the business. He was very much respected throughout the league. He worked on behalf of his clients and not the teams they played for. It worked out wonderfully for Jason Peters. He ended up with a team that immediately gave him a bonanza contract, was a consistent all-pro, is a credible candidate for the HOF and has a SB ring in his trophy case. You may think otherwise but that is terrific representation for this player. 

So do many players who never played in Superbowl.  And IMO and will always be my opinion having a holdout being recommended by an agent with three years left on contract is reason enough for a team to never deal with that agent again if possible.  Fortunately with him being in hell it is easy for Bills now.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

So do many players who never played in Superbowl.  And IMO and will always be my opinion having a holdout being recommended by an agent with three years left on contract is reason enough for a team to never deal with that agent again if possible.  Fortunately with him being in hell it is easy for Bills now.

It's a business. Players such as DT Arnold of the Rams and Mack who is now with the Bears held out to get their sizable contracts. Players act in their interests as do teams. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's a business. Players such as DT Arnold of the Rams and Mack who is now with the Bears held out to get their sizable contracts. Players act in their interests as do teams. 

There is a difference between a player who signed a contract because he was drafted and one who choose to sign an extension contract on his own and then holds out for money.  If I was a team I'd make him sit it out just to prevent players from thinking of using that concept in future.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

There is a difference between a player who signed a contract because he was drafted and one who choose to sign an extension contract on his own and then holds out for money.  If I was a team I'd make him sit it out just to prevent players from thinking of using that concept in future.

I assume you are perfectly ok with a team cutting a player with three years left on their contract?  Players have every right to hold out until the contracts arw fully guaranteed.  One injury can coat them tens of millions of dollars.  Most only get one chance to truly cash in.  And the Bills were paying below market value for a premier LT.  All they had to do was pay him.  This notion of you can't set precedent is nonsense.  If you are an elite talent you get treated as such. If you are an average player you have no leverage because just about any draft pick can replace you.

14 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

I assume you are perfectly ok with a team cutting a player with three years left on their contract?  Players have every right to hold out until the contracts arw fully guaranteed.  One injury can coat them tens of millions of dollars.  Most only get one chance to truly cash in.  And the Bills were paying below market value for a premier LT.  All they had to do was pay him.  This notion of you can't set precedent is nonsense.  If you are an elite talent you get treated as such. If you are an average player you have no leverage because just about any draft pick can replace you.

That is why players get large signing bonuses because a good portion of money is front loaded.

Once you set precedent you get nonsense requests. Bet some players wish you worked in front office.

"Here are my demands. I do not need to go to training camp or play in preseason games.  If odds do not look like a we are going to win I do not need to play.  I want to be paid for any fines levied by league and if I am suspended I want you to pay me anyways even if I am in jail."

43 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

That is why players get large signing bonuses because a good portion of money is front loaded.

Once you set precedent you get nonsense requests. Bet some players wish you worked in front office.

"Here are my demands. I do not need to go to training camp or play in preseason games.  If odds do not look like a we are going to win I do not need to play.  I want to be paid for any fines levied by league and if I am suspended I want you to pay me anyways even if I am in jail."

Cant really blame the agent for doing his job....which is to get the most money he can for his client.

The player however?   A UDFA Tight End that the bills had faith in and kept and cultivated as a OT......redid his contract before all of this Eugene Parker stuff happened and then they wanted to rework it again (pretty sure this was the process of how this happened)

Had the bills cut him as  UDFA who knows what would have happened to Peters.....lots of guys in that situation dont get a real shot...much less change positions and get real shots......