Snobby about chicken wings

Jrb1979

3 minutes ago, teef said:

i honestly still think the best wings i've had were at an airport in st. louis.  they were fantastic.  as long as the wings aren't chewy, i'm a fan.

we only use ours as a mini convection oven, and almost never add any extra oil.  we make things like tater tots and chicken fingers in it.  it is easier, faster, and better than a traditional convection oven, but i have zero interest in doing wings in them.  that being said, there was a thread where a number of members on here nailed an air fryer wing recipe.  

Best wings I've ever had were at a place in the bad part of town called Flyers.   Awesome wings perfectly fried, not too much sauce but not dry, didn't need BC but it was there.   

2nd best were at a place down by Universal studios called The Whiskey, neat place, good atmosphere and their wings were fantastic too.  And they had a $20 elk burger on the menu that was outstanding too.   

My house made wings are always good, but without a big enough fryer you can only fry 3-5 at a time, it just takes too long.  I've tried using the turkey fryer but again, it's not insulated and you lose too much heat and end up boiling them.  

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

Best wings I've ever had were at a place in the bad part of town called Flyers.   Awesome wings perfectly fried, not too much sauce but not dry, didn't need BC but it was there.   

2nd best were at a place down by Universal studios called The Whiskey, neat place, good atmosphere and their wings were fantastic too.  And they had a $20 elk burger on the menu that was outstanding too.   

My house made wings are always good, but without a big enough fryer you can only fry 3-5 at a time, it just takes too long.  I've tried using the turkey fryer but again, it's not insulated and you lose too much heat and end up boiling them.  

oh is that true?  i've actually only used our turkey fryer to steam clams in bulk.  how do you typically fry wings then?

Just now, teef said:

oh is that true?  i've actually only used our turkey fryer to steam clams in bulk.  how do you typically fry wings then?

I fry them with the turkey fryer and a cast iron dutch oven I put on top of it.   the cast iron stays hotter but it's still not enough volume of grease to maintain 350 when you put wings in it.   I don't use the aluminum stock pot they give you. 

8 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I fry them with the turkey fryer and a cast iron dutch oven I put on top of it.   the cast iron stays hotter but it's still not enough volume of grease to maintain 350 when you put wings in it.   I don't use the aluminum stock pot they give you. 

got ya.  that's a good tip.

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

usually water and grease don't mix well.

if something is FROZEN, even partially, it's probably got a good deal of moisture still.

ergo

poof

Bubble and spatter?  Yes.  Explosion?  No. So you got a few grease splatter burns.  A price to pay for crispy juicy wings. 

• Like (+1) 1

What I will say is that I don't think that Buffalo has a monopoly on good wings. I *have* found that within the WNY area, pretty much every random pizza shack can make pretty decent wings. The same cannot be said for outside the area in my experience.

There is a chain franchise around the Philly area called PJ Whelihan's, and they boast that they are the official wing of Wingbowl, the local wing eating competition. They are the local go to place for people on wing night. They are terrible. Soggy skin, small wings, flavorless sauces, and somehow they get the nod.

In the meanwhile, there is a fantastic place called the Jug Handle Inn that is well off the beaten path. They are a bit unconventional: they bread their wings and keep the wing tips on. This turned me off, but their sauces are fantastic, the breading is light enough that you barely notice, and the wing tips give you an extra crunchy bite at the end.

10 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

What I will say is that I don't think that Buffalo has a monopoly on good wings. I *have* found that within the WNY area, pretty much every random pizza shack can make pretty decent wings. The same cannot be said for outside the area in my experience.

There is a chain franchise around the Philly area called PJ Whelihan's, and they boast that they are the official wing of Wingbowl, the local wing eating competition. They are the local go to place for people on wing night. They are terrible. Soggy skin, small wings, flavorless sauces, and somehow they get the nod.

In the meanwhile, there is a fantastic place called the Jug Handle Inn that is well off the beaten path. They are a bit unconventional: they bread their wings and keep the wing tips on. This turned me off, but their sauces are fantastic, the breading is light enough that you barely notice, and the wing tips give you an extra crunchy bite at the end.

About the wing size I always felt that the smaller wings fried up better, and tasted better.  The larger wings IMO were never as good.   

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2018 at 9:34 AM, Soda Popinski said:

I saw someone mentioned the air fryer, essentially a convection oven and I need to know from someone with experience, is it even close to oil frying?     I can't believe that it is, especially if you are used to frying in peanut oil. 

I'm curious about this as well. Apparently, I've lived in a cave for some time. I just opened a Kohl's ad and saw an air-fryer. I went to Youtube and checked out some videos. It seems legit, but I want some actual first hand opinions from experts. I used to love cooking wings at home, but I hated the mess afterwards. I figured I'm come here and find out. Unfortunately, I missed this by a month. Anyone? 

10 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I'm curious about this as well. Apparently, I've lived in a cave for some time. I just opened a Kohl's ad and saw an air-fryer. I went to Youtube and checked out some videos. It seems legit, but I want some actual first hand opinions from experts. I used to love cooking wings at home, but I hated the mess afterwards. I figured I'm come here and find out. Unfortunately, I missed this by a month. Anyone? 

My wife got an air fryer and insists on using it for sweet potato fries and the like. They suck. It’s as useful as her bread maker, seeing as she’s “gluten free” (selectively). I’m allowed, encouraged even, to make trips to Goodwill to drop crap off, but these two are off limits. 

Maybe someone else has had better success? 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

Best wings are in Hammer's, after a victory..watching the 4 o'clock games...no matter what we forget to bring for the sauce or lack of a spider etc! They just taste great!!!!

To someone who mentioned can't keep the temp on turkey fryer up..we use a heater modified for home brewing, a poop ton of oil, and a pretty think gauge aluminum stock pot. No probs keeping the temp up.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2018 at 10:37 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just as good in other places and I was born in BFLo... Don't get it.  Wings are highly subjective BAR food.  

The only flaws in non-Buffalo wings is a) ranch dressing and b) they cook them too fast. A proper Buffalo wing is fried at a lower temperature so the wing tenderizes. When you get rubbery wings, it's because they cooked them on high as fast as possible.

On 9/7/2018 at 8:14 AM, Soda Popinski said:

About the wing size I always felt that the smaller wings fried up better, and tasted better.  The larger wings IMO were never as good.   

Back in my day (late 70's) all wings were small. You could eat 20 or 30 no problem and they were tender. Now it seems they use ostrich wings. If you don't cook them right they are rubbery.

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Augie said:

My wife got an air fryer and insists on using it for sweet potato fries and the like. They suck. It’s as useful as her bread maker, seeing as she’s “gluten free” (selectively). I’m allowed, encouraged even, to make trips to Goodwill to drop crap off, but these two are off limits. 

Maybe someone else has had better success? 

we use ours on the regular, and it comes out great.  the only thing we don't make with it are wings.  it's good for finger food like chicken fingers, fries/tater tots, mozzarella sticks, etc.  they come out far better than they would in the oven, and it's much faster.  ultimately it's just a small convection oven.  we have a double convection oven in our kitchen, and don't use them much because of the air fryer.

• Like (+1) 2