McCarron Traded!

Alphadawg7

This trade seems prima facie stupid on a number of levels (e.g., because they’re effectively paying a multi-million signing bonus to a future fifth rounder who will in all likelihood suck), but the most indicative thing to me is that they clearly failed to get the stopgap qb they wanted this offseason. If anyone had doubts, it’s clear now that McCarran was not their first choice. I won’t be surprised if both Peterman and Allen are hurt by the bye week. This offense is going to be truly horrible.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I'll tell you this: I would NOT want to be sitting at a poker table with Beane on the other side.

Why? Gruden is on record as always liking McCarron (he has compared him to brad johnson), and he got him for nearly free without having to pay a signimg bonus. Backup qb is a hugely important position.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

That's pretty much a given yeah. The draft might finally be fun if they get 1st overall.

First overall pick is only worth it if it’s a qb. There will in all likelihood be a qb who goes 1 overall, so the bills would be set up to trade down for a lot.

55 minutes ago, Peter said:

The Browns agreed to trade a second and third round pick for AJ last year:

Browns agreed to trade a second and third round pick to Bengals for AJ

McBeane converted a second and third round pick into what has been reported to be a fifth round pick.

I am not sure why some are bragging about the compensation we got.

OMG. Oh well. That was a sweet deal. I wonder why he didn't take it during that time. Thought AJ was gonna be the backup. Good bye AJ McCarron.

28 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

Beane, when he fell asleep at the wheel and watched the Jets school him on how to acquire a franchise QB.

Another myth often cited as fact. Just what do you think the cost would have been to move up to 3 from outside the top 10 ? It wouldn’t have three 2nds. If anyone was even interested in dropping out of the top 10. We don’t know that Darnold will be any more “ franchise” than the other QBs. Or if he would have been ther choice. We can guess, but we don’t know. . 

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Me too. The Raiders got a great deal.

Man you need to drop the whole A.J.  is a God crap.  If he was so good he would never have signed the deal he did with the Bills.  He was the last of the free agent qbs to sign.  There is a reason for that.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Another myth often cited as fact. Just what do you think the cost would have been to move up to 3 from outside the top 10 ? It wouldn’t have three 2nds. If anyone was even interested in dropping out of the top 10. We don’t know that Darnold will be any more “ franchise” than the other QBs. Or if he would have been ther choice. We can guess, but we don’t know. . 

Talent evaluation...  We do know to an extent and can most definitely extrapolate.

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s not a myth, it’s a reasoned supposition. I firmly believe Darnold will be better than Allen (although I hope he isn’t), and at the time Beane said repeatedly he hadn’t done his due diligence and wasn’t willing to pull the trigger. The Jets were ready, and I don’t believe for a second that the Bills preferred Allen to Darnold. The Jets simply beat them to the punch, although the Jets had a lot to offer too.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, AllenWillBust said:

Talent evaluation...  We do know to an extent and can most definitely extrapolate.

Again, we don’t know who the pick would have been. The cost to move up that many picks would likely have been exorbitant as well, if available at all. Plenty of talented players have busted at the QB position , as well as others. 

59 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

So I was explaining to my wife, who is not NEARLY as into the Bills as I am, that the Bills traded AJ.

Although I've explained to her before who the three QBs were, she's always half paid attention then forgotten about it altogether.   

So I'm telling her about the trade, and for her to understand the significance, I had to retell the story of who the three QBs are.   The story came out, honest to God, something like this:   They traded AJ McCarron, so now the Bills have only two QBs.   I chuckled.  So the EXPERIENCED QB is this guy - and I began to laugh.   My wife looked at me.   The EXPERIENCED  QB has played exactly one half of one game in the NFL, and in that - now I'm really laughing a lot - and in that one half in the NFL he threw FIVE interceptions.   Now my wife is laughing, too.   Their INEXPERIENCED QB is a rookie who played in the college minor leagues for a few years, the real minors, so he hasn't experienced anything even like big-time college football.   

If you think about it, it's pretty funny.   

Did your wife point out to you that the guy they traded has an EXPERIENCE of 3 starts in the NFL....3 years ago?  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

And this is why we can't have nice things...  We have to wait for McBeane to get fired in order to draft a franchise QB.

I remember when trolls were at least creative, subtle and amusing. ?

Though, to be fair, I find the idea of a *Jets* fan trash-talking fans of a 2018 playoff team highly amusing.  Waiit until your team actually accomplishes something, *then* trash talk.  Otherwise you just look silly and become the target of mocking and ridicule. ?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Again, we don’t know who the pick would have been. The cost to move up that many picks would likely have been exorbitant as well, if available at all. Plenty of talented players have busted at the QB position , as well as others. 

The Bills selected the QB least likely to succeed IMO, and in most ppl's opinion.  Can they get lucky?  Sure?  Will they?  Highly unlikely.  Beane simply whiffed.  Sure, ending the 17 year playoff drought was fun and all, but it came at a cost, too high a cost MO.