Mack Traded!!!!!!!

On 9/1/2018 at 6:56 PM, mannc said:

Somewhere upthread someone listed all of the veteran players traded for at least two first round picks.  Not one of those trades (there are about 10) worked out even remotely well for the team giving up picks.  And I guarantee they all thought they were getting a proven all-pro.  What could go wrong?

and none of those players were on the level that Mack is.  

On 9/2/2018 at 11:01 AM, JaCrispy said:

It will be impossible for Mack to ever live up to that contract, let alone the draft capital traded for him... Raiders won the trade hands down imo

okay.  when the Bears have a dominant D for the next 5 years and a QB on a rookie contract we'll see who "won" the trade.  Raiders won't make the playoffs in that timespan.  

On 9/2/2018 at 12:16 PM, Mr. WEO said:

I disagree.  Why shell out all that cap going forward and those picks for any superstar on Defense?  How often does that work out?

Suh, Haynesworth, Mario--all traded for huge money and all did nothing for the fortunes of the teams that signed them.  Even the Broncos, who re-signed Von Miller have since seen their defense go from 4th in points surrendered to 22nd.

People are saying Gruen was crazy for trading Mack. I disagree.  He got 2 first round picks out of Chicago---at team that will not one one extra gam because of Mack.  If their QB situation tanks, they are screwed, no matter if Mack makes it back to even 12 sacks a year.  Bears won't have any relief in the draft going forward.

Bears won't have any relief in the draft?  They have 2nd round and onward.  They now have Mack and Roquan at LB.   They will have a top 5 D.  The raiders have no one.  Suh and Haynesworth were bums before those trades/money.  Mario was fantastic his first 3 years here with 10, 13 and 14 sacks while being on a top 5 D.  

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

and none of those players were on the level that Mack is.  

okay.  when the Bears have a dominant D for the next 5 years and a QB on a rookie contract we'll see who "won" the trade.  Raiders won't make the playoffs in that timespan.  

Bears won't have any relief in the draft?  They have 2nd round and onward.  They now have Mack and Roquan at LB.   They will have a top 5 D.  The raiders have no one.  Suh and Haynesworth were bums before those trades/money.  Mario was fantastic his first 3 years here with 10, 13 and 14 sacks while being on a top 5 D.  

Bears were top 10 D last season.  If they go to top 5....so what?  Their offense stinks.  If Trubisky washes out they can't replace him with 1st round talent in the next 2 years. 

The Bills had one winning season (and a single top 5 D) and no playoffs with Mario.  Their D was 26th, 20th and 4th his 1st 3 years. Complete waste of money.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I'm not so sure that's true.

If the offer was just straight up:

2019 1st

2020 1st

Hughes

for

Mack

then the Raiders valued Hughes at next to nothing because they received:

2019 1st

2019 3rd

2020 1st

2020 6th

and gave up

Mack

2020 2nd 

2020 conditional 5th

That means they valued the swap of:

[giving up]

2020 2nd

2020 conditional 5th

for

[receiving]

2019 3rd

2020 6th

over Hughes straight up.

I am not sure why the Raiders would do that, unless they feel Hughes has ZERO value.

Im not sure why they would do it either but this is what ive heard. I think Gruden wanted to send him to a NFC team in my opinion

• Like (+1) 1

The Raiders got way more than I thought they would. I thought they would get something in the range of a 2019 1st, a 2019 3rd, and a 2020 3rd plus a throw-in player. So for the Raiders to get two firsts is a big boon, even factoring in the swap of a 2020 second for a 2020 3rd it is still a good deal for the Raiders. I think Chicago is giving up a lot for Mack (All those draft picks plus a massive contract) but Mack gives them one of the best pass rushers in the league to a defense that was ranked 10th last season despite the fact that they didn't have that big-time pass rusher. To top it off the Bears did add the best linebacker in the draft in the top 10. But these trades tend to benefit the teams receiving the draft picks and not handing out the big contract.

That's not to say that there aren't exceptions to the rule. We all know how the Jason Peters trade ended up. But if I had to put money on it I would say that the Raiders will most likely come out the "winner" of this trade.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

It was a smart trade by the Bears. Did you read the Peter King piece about it? It's good: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/03/khalil-mack-trade-super-bowl-prediction-peter-king/

Just read it. King is spot on regarding the relative value of a proven impact player like Mack vs. totally unknown draft picks. Also appreciate his point about what Green Bay must be thinking. Again, I see similarities between the Bears/Mack and the Bills/Bennett; the acquisition of those players changed the balance of power in their respective divisions over night. Chicago's front seven is a bonafide force. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Just read it. King is spot on regarding the relative value of a proven impact player like Mack vs. totally unknown draft picks. Also appreciate his point about what Green Bay must be thinking. Again, I see similarities between the Bears/Mack and the Bills/Bennett; the acquisition of those players changed the balance of power in their respective divisions over night. Chicago's front seven is a bonafide force. 

Bennett is an excellent comparison. The Bills didn't regret that move!  I like Trubisky and think he'll probably be at least pretty good.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Also, this provides good perspective. I don't think the Redskins regretted paying a ton in draft capital for Wilbur Marshall, who was a great player for them. He had 3 sacks in the 1991 NFC championship game! http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2018/09/bears-give-up-most-for-defensive-player.html

Obtaining Hall of Famer Ted Hendricks for 2 first rounders worked out extremely well for the Raiders too. Hendricks, btw, has four SB rings - 3 for Oakland one for Baltimore (1970). 

Dave Butz ended up being a 14-year starter for Washington and played in multiple Super Bowls (2 rings).  Bill Bergey was the heart and soul of Philly's D for about a decade too. 

Edited by dave mcbride

The Rams are not messing around!

Rams offered package for Khalil Mack, but Raiders believed the draft pick would be too low in 2019

The Rams defense is a star-laden unit that features defensive linemen Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh among others.

And as they prepared for Monday night’s season opener against the Oakland Raiders, the Rams were working last week to add another piece: Khalil Mack.

Kevin Demoff, the Rams’ executive vice president of football operations, said Wednesday that the Rams made inquiries with the Raiders about trading for Mack, the star outside linebacker who was dealt to the Chicago Bears on Saturday for two first-round draft picks, a third-round pick and a sixth-round pick.

Demoff declined to specify what the Rams offered the Raiders for the 2016 NFL defensive player of the year, who signed a $141-million extension with the Bears the day after Donald signed a $135-million extension with the Rams.

“We offered a pretty aggressive package and they came back and said, ‘We just think you’re going to pick too low,’ ” Demoff said about the Rams’ potential pick in the 2019 draft.

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Rams are not messing around!

Rams offered package for Khalil Mack, but Raiders believed the draft pick would be too low in 2019

The Rams defense is a star-laden unit that features defensive linemen Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh among others.

And as they prepared for Monday night’s season opener against the Oakland Raiders, the Rams were working last week to add another piece: Khalil Mack.

Kevin Demoff, the Rams’ executive vice president of football operations, said Wednesday that the Rams made inquiries with the Raiders about trading for Mack, the star outside linebacker who was dealt to the Chicago Bears on Saturday for two first-round draft picks, a third-round pick and a sixth-round pick.

Demoff declined to specify what the Rams offered the Raiders for the 2016 NFL defensive player of the year, who signed a $141-million extension with the Bears the day after Donald signed a $135-million extension with the Rams.

“We offered a pretty aggressive package and they came back and said, ‘We just think you’re going to pick too low,’ ” Demoff said about the Rams’ potential pick in the 2019 draft.

They are 110% all in for the next few years. Because after that, their salary cap is going to be a big issue and they know it. 

They obviously feel that they need to win, and win quick, to grab the attention of the LA market. 

They will be a very interesting team to follow, that’s for sure! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

They are 110% all in for the next few years. Because after that, their salary cap is going to be a big issue and they know it. 

They obviously feel that they need to win, and win quick, to grab the attention of the LA market. 

They will be a very interesting team to follow, that’s for sure! 

No kidding! I know they have a cheap young QB and a lot of one year deals, but it feels like they are operating with a totally different salary cap than everyone else. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

after watching Mack again this week and seeing the Raiders play....what the hell was Gruden thinking? 

Basically came down to:  Carr or Mack

And like the Villain in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade who had to choose a Grail...he chose poorly.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe he was just still stuck thinking back the way things were done when he last coached. Back when defences won championships and you could get by with a caretaker QB.......

Or he just really wanted a pass rusher so he figured he should tank this season so he can draft one at the top of this years draft.....

He also might be too young to play on Grudens team......

Obviously though, it all came down to money and how Gruden wants to run things. Mack was holding out for a new deal, Gruden didnt want to give him what he wanted and wants to show the team who's boss by not giving into a hold out, so he shipped him off. It's not looking like a good move so far.....

Edited by apuszczalowski