Mack Traded!!!!!!!

Not that I wanted Mack for that price. But the saints gave up 2 first round picks for an unproven Marcus Davenport. Yea no huge contract. But I think after the injury and lack of playing time I think they would take Mack for them 2 draft picks anyday that they used for him.

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I would have done it.  I'm sure that makes me crazy, but I would have.  It's a lot.  I see that it's a lot and you have to pay him.  But I just don't see a player you're going to get that is going to be better than him with you 1st pick next year.  After that, I give up a 1st, but with Mack and all the cap space we have next year, I expect that pick to be in the 20's.  I'm getting back a 2nd round pick.  So I have 2 seconds and 4-7.  That doesn't include any deals between now and then.

I'm getting a pro-bowl player in his prime instead of unknowns.  We have the money and I think he's be an absolute catalyst for our defense.  The first time he takes down Brady, no one cares what it cost.

• Like (+1) 2

Would have been nice to get Mack, but that’s a crazy steep price. Especially with where the Bills might be picking in 2019 and the fact that Mack will easily get $20M or more.

Giving Mack $20+M would take up roughly 1/3 of their available 2019 cap space (iirc).

Thats a whole lot for 1 player when the Bills have holes almost everywhere on their roster. 

That also cuts into the talent you can surround Allen with in free agency, and also in the draft, giving up two 1sts and a 3rd. 

And that to me is priority - getting Allen some help, especially at WR’s and o line.

We need to give him the best chance at being successful. He is crucial to any long term success the bills may have. 

Add in the fact that Mack is already 27 and it doesn’t make a ton of sense for where the Bills are at now, IMO. 

Chances are Mack will be a very productive player for years to come. But historically, there has been a noticeable drop off in D linemen’s production after their year 7 NFL season (and/or age 31 iirc). 

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

My whole point was the Bills weren’t going to trade the picks for Mack because they were afraid to give them up. And I feel like most of the time we just waste them anyway and I think they should be more willing to trade them for proven talent.

I think that theory was better before the last CBA. The value for draft picks is a lot higher with how rookie contracts work these days. Proven talent is important, though. All-pros are pretty rare. The Jason Peters trade will always be a reminder. 

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I would have done it.  I'm sure that makes me crazy, but I would have.  It's a lot.  I see that it's a lot and you have to pay him.  But I just don't see a player you're going to get that is going to be better than him with you 1st pick next year.  After that, I give up a 1st, but with Mack and all the cap space we have next year, I expect that pick to be in the 20's.  I'm getting back a 2nd round pick.  So I have 2 seconds and 4-7.  That doesn't include any deals between now and then.

I'm getting a pro-bowl player in his prime instead of unknowns.  We have the money and I think he's be an absolute catalyst for our defense.  The first time he takes down Brady, no one cares what it cost.

You may be right.  But a lot of folks were saying the same about Justin Houston after his first four seasons and his play has been spotty at best since.

It's too early to say whether they paid too much.  He is a stud in his prime and many in the industry say he is an even better human being.   If he turns into another JJ Watt no one will be complaining about the price to acquire him.

But that is the kind of haul that can move you into the top five of the draft for a team like the Bills whom many are saying may be drafting in the top 15 next year.  That can net you a player four years younger on a more salary cap friendly deal that can be just as dominating. 

But the way this FO is drafting they don't need to get into the top 5 to get a game changing talent.  So I'm good.

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter 54s54 seconds ago

Khalil Mack and the Bears just reached agreeement on a record-setting 6-year, $141 million extension ($23.5M per year avg) that includes $90M guaranteed and $60M at signing, source tells ESPN. Mack is the new highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

1 reply 51 retweets 19 likes

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If the bills would have given up that much for Mack this board might have legit crashed.....

I know he is good...but you know what he was good with the Raiders and they STILL LOST

And the raiders had a hell of a lot more on offense than us.