I just picked up a Buffalo radio station

Ice bowl 67

16 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Our nug lives in Apex,NC....he said he can pick up the feed at night sometimes but not during the daylight hours.That's odd...

Its not odd.

The atmosphere changes at night, and the changes effect radio wave propagation.

18 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

I noticed 96.1 playing Nothing's going to stop us now and now they are playing Its my life by No Doubt. I thought where is this from.  I thought that was strange that this station was overtaking our rock station and between songs they advertised for Buffalo and identified themselves as Mix 96! I looked it up and I am picking you guys up on FM! That's incredible.

Jesus, put that thing down. You don't want to get a hernia.

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

I remember picking up WGR550 in North Bay Canada one time...  I'm not a radio expert but there must have been some rebroadcasting shenanigans going on.

Quite possibly not.  WGR was quite clear all the way up Hwy. 69 years ago to Parry Sound during the daytime.  Coverage maps show both daytime and nighttime signal patterns reaching southern Georgian Bay, and that's only at 5,000 watts.  They may have reduced their power in these newer days, or you got the benefit of a 'skip'.  At WWKB's Wikipedia entry, there are reports of that station (a 50,000 watt flamethrower) being heard in Sweden.  Swedish tourists actually visited the transmitter site at various times as a sort of homage to the signal and the event.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

23 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Want bizarre,  listen to HF at night.

@ work... We had a short wave station, antenna array, etc... I used to joke when we went in there that we were gonna call the "Taiwan Lock & Dam"... LoL... 

We took the antenna array (it was like giant bow-tie between twin towers) down, surplused the equipment when our USACE District eliminated their "District Radio" systems, got rid of repeaters, etc...

46 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

@ work... We had a short wave station, antenna array, etc... I used to joke when we went in there that we were gonna call the "Taiwan Lock & Dam"... LoL... 

We took the antenna array (it was like giant bow-tie between twin towers) down, surplused the equipment when our USACE District eliminated their "District Radio" systems, got rid of repeaters, etc...

Thank you. I was wondering what happened.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

I noticed 96.1 playing Nothing's going to stop us now and now they are playing Its my life by No Doubt. I thought where is this from.  I thought that was strange that this station was overtaking our rock station and between songs they advertised for Buffalo and identified themselves as Mix 96! I looked it up and I am picking you guys up on FM! That's incredible.

It's something called atmospheric ducting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_duct

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2018 at 1:36 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

There are thunderstorms, strong ones rolling through this side of Lake Michigan... G.Bay is just 2° further north than BFLo.

The atmospherics probably good along that front. Clear to North???

Also... FWIW... Did you know that where you are in Green Bay, even better if you are in Door County (Bayshore Blufflands)... That you may be on or near the Niagara Escarpment?  Yep, the same geological feature that creates Niagara Falls and impounds L.Michigan/Huron & Erie to the North.  So you are closer to Western New York than you really think! ?  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_Escarpment

Niagara_Escarpment_map.png

Niagara Escarpment in WI:

dclv08i02-feature1-niagara-escarpment-ma

So... You really are a Niagara-tonian after all!  So root for the Bills when they play the Packers!!... I know You rooted for them last night and will when they play the Bears again during the regular season!

??

They have this map of the Great Lakes where I return cans and it just has profiles of the lakes, size, depth and all. It shows, among other things, how the top of Lake Ontario is below the bottom of Lake Erie. Also how small Lake Erie is compared to the other lakes. 

12 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Quite possibly not.  WGR was quite clear all the way up Hwy. 69 years ago to Parry Sound during the daytime.  Coverage maps show both daytime and nighttime signal patterns reaching southern Georgian Bay, and that's only at 5,000 watts.  They may have reduced their power in these newer days, or you got the benefit of a 'skip'.  At WWKB's Wikipedia entry, there are reports of that station (a 50,000 watt flamethrower) being heard in Sweden.  Swedish tourists actually visited the transmitter site at various times as a sort of homage to the signal and the event.

I drove all the way to Columbus listening to a Sabres game once. Couldn't believe it. I can't pick up WGR in the southern tier at night most times. 

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

For AM radio 

No. The skywave phenomenon is exclusively AM radio. AM waves bounce off the ionosphere at night. That's why you here certain "clear channel" AM stations from far away.

Atmospheric ducting only affects FM signals because the layers of moist air "duct" FM signals around the curve of the earth. Normally FM and TV are strictly line-of-sight.

12 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Another fun fact. The lower the frequency you are on AM, the more efficient your signal becomes. So WGR at 550 and 5,000 watts has the same reach as WWKB at 1520 and 50,000 watts. 

But the one advantage KB has over GR is 1520 is a clear channel east of the Mississippi. 550 is not.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

At work on good nights with our 75 foot vhf-fm antenna we will pick up USCG, Upper MS River Keokuk, Iowa... Which is just under 300 miles away.  Once in a while Detroit... And @ just over 500 miles BFLo USCG, once I heard!

That's far for FM....USCG can't be putting out the watts that much?  A normal consumer product puts out 25w or 1w...  What the USCG is putting out is a lot more... But not like 50,000 watt AM station. 

With a coiled AM antenna, workers in Alaska could pick up stations in Lower 48.

Didn't they sell a coil AM antenna @ one y time and market the Alaska thingy about workers picking up Lower 48 AM stations?

AM you could probably coil all around your house and probably bring in impressive distances.

I think PTR is into the radio stuff and knows how true this may be?

If you poke around C. Crane's website I think they show you how to rig your own home made AM antenna.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2018 at 1:11 AM, WhoTom said:

Under certain atmospheric conditions, radio waves can travel hundreds of miles by bouncing off of the ionosphere and large bodies of water (like the Great Lakes.) When I lived in Western NY, the radio in my parents' car sometimes picked up WLS out of Chicago.

I live in South Carolina and I’ve picked up people as far away as Boston on my CB.

6 hours ago, Tiberius said:

They have this map of the Great Lakes where I return cans and it just has profiles of the lakes, size, depth and all. It shows, among other things, how the top of Lake Ontario is below the bottom of Lake Erie. Also how small Lake Erie is compared to the other lakes.

Sorry for the side-bars IceBowl... But my middle name is "sidebar!" ??

The Village I live in, South of Chicago... In Will County, actually draws their wells from Ekevation @ L.Superior water table and has sustainable water for @ least a few hundred years.  High in iron too, FWIW.

Like this:

Great-Lakes-Elevations-Depth-Profile.jpg

Another interesting fact.  Say you are looking at this cross-section "straight up the barrel" north at the southern tip of L.Michigan... Which is kinda the perspective of this cross-section.  The reason why the Chicago Canals "work" & get through the 5 foot continental divide is the bottom elevation of the Chicago Area Waterways (CAWs) is the same as the elevation @ the precipice of Niagara Falls.  Basically, draw a line on that cross-section west to Lake Michigan from the precipice of The Falls.  There are no controlling works @ St.Clair/Detroit river. Which is ~30 feet deeper @ bottom where Huron meets St.Clair River... Dredged for shipping. There, it's like opening the emergency hole in your bathroom sink lower.

Now... Supposedly when The Falls meets the mouth of L.Erie @ BFLo, 8 miles upstream, in a few thousand years... They say... L.Michigan & L.Huron will drop 150 feet instantly upon L.Erie opening up on Niagara gorge.  CRAZY!  One way to close the canals down in Chicago! ??

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sorry for the side-bars IceBowl... But my middle name is "sidebar!" ??

The Village I live in, South of Chicago... In Will County, actually draws their wells from Ekevation @ L.Superior water table and has sustainable water for @ least a few hundred years.  High in iron too, FWIW.

Like this:

Great-Lakes-Elevations-Depth-Profile.jpg

Another interesting fact.  Say you are looking at this cross-section "straight up the barrel" north at the southern tip of L.Michigan... Which is kinda the perspective of this cross-section.  The reason why the Chicago Canals "work" & get through the 5 foot continental divide is the bottom elevation of the Chicago Area Waterways (CAWs) is the same as the elevation @ the precipice of Niagara Falls.  Basically, draw a line on that cross-section west to Lake Michigan from the precipice of The Falls.  There are no controlling works @ St.Clair/Detroit river. Which is ~30 feet deeper @ bottom where Huron meets St.Clair River... Dredged for shipping. There, it's like opening the emergency hole in your bathroom sink lower.

Now... Supposedly when The Falls meets the mouth of L.Erie @ BFLo, 8 miles upstream, in a few thousand years... They say... L.Michigan & L.Huron will drop 150 feet instantly upon L.Erie opening up on Niagara gorge.  CRAZY!  One way to close the canals down in Chicago! ??

Great post! Very interesting. I'll have to look at a map to figure out the Detroit reference so I understand it better. I think I know what you mean. 

Anyway, in Chicago I stayed at the Hyatt Regency near the McCormick Place. I went and saw the science and industry museum and it was pretty cool. I didn't want to wait for the train so I decided to walk the five miles back, past some of the big projects I have always heard about but it was all good. Chicago is something else, old and new all in one. 

Oh ya, I looked at the map and see what you mean on both points. When Niagara is gone, so are the lakes!