I just picked up a Buffalo radio station

Ice bowl 67

I noticed 96.1 playing Nothing's going to stop us now and now they are playing Its my life by No Doubt. I thought where is this from.  I thought that was strange that this station was overtaking our rock station and between songs they advertised for Buffalo and identified themselves as Mix 96! I looked it up and I am picking you guys up on FM! That's incredible.

Edited by Ice bowl 67

Under certain atmospheric conditions, radio waves can travel hundreds of miles by bouncing off of the ionosphere and large bodies of water (like the Great Lakes.) When I lived in Western NY, the radio in my parents' car sometimes picked up WLS out of Chicago.

Edited by WhoTom

2 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

I noticed 96.1 playing Nothing's going to stop us now and now they are playing Its my life by No Doubt. I thought where is this from.  I thought that was strange that this station was overtaking our rock station and between songs they advertised for Buffalo and identified themselves as Mix 96! I looked it up and I am picking you guys up on FM! That's incredible.

There are thunderstorms, strong ones rolling through this side of Lake Michigan... G.Bay is just 2° further north than BFLo.

The atmospherics probably good along that front. Clear to North???

Also... FWIW... Did you know that where you are in Green Bay, even better if you are in Door County (Bayshore Blufflands)... That you may be on or near the Niagara Escarpment?  Yep, the same geological feature that creates Niagara Falls and impounds L.Michigan/Huron & Erie to the North.  So you are closer to Western New York than you really think! ?  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_Escarpment

Niagara_Escarpment_map.png

Niagara Escarpment in WI:

dclv08i02-feature1-niagara-escarpment-ma

So... You really are a Niagara-tonian after all!  So root for the Bills when they play the Packers!!... I know You rooted for them last night and will when they play the Bears again during the regular season!

??

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Under certain atmospheric conditions, radio waves can travel hundreds of miles by bouncing off of the ionosphere and large bodies of water (like the Great Lakes.) When I lived in Western NY, the radio in my parents' car sometimes picked up WLS out of Chicago.

WLS is 50,000 watts and AM.  IceBowl in WI was picking up FM.  Which is impressive! Unless your parents were picking up 94.7 FM which is the FM sister station... Which is 4,500 watts...BUT is transmitted from the top of Sears Tower.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I pick up WGR 550 all the time just below Greensboro.  That's just about 500 miles straight line over the Appalachians.

AM, due to its much lower frequency travels much further.

FM is generally line of sight, but sometimes with atmospheric bouncing it can go greater distances.

5 minutes ago, sherpa said:

FM is generally line of sight, but sometimes with atmospheric bouncing it can go greater distances.

I get it.  But there is a station on FM only 80 miles away on 550 that is over powered.   And a station in Nashville about 350 miles away over the mtns that's still overpowered too.

It's a lot of sciency nerd stuff, anyway. ??‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I get it.  But there is a station on FM only 80 miles away on 550 that is over powered.   And a station in Nashville about 350 miles away over the mtns that's still overpowered too.

It's a lot of sciency nerd stuff, anyway. ??‍♂️

I know.

Overnight reception can be strange because the FCC regulates wattage in order to reduce the effect of skywave propagation, which is much more prevalent at night.

That's why you'll get stations like WGR until about 7AM, and then a much closer 550 khz stations will ramp up at the same time the nightime skywave propagation diminishes, so they'll better service their listening area.

• Like (+1) 2

WWKB 1520 am (once known as WKBW) is authorized for 50,000 watt transmitter power, and could be heard up and down the east coast from the Maritimes to the Carolinas.  Back in the 1990s and early 2000s, fundie preachers like Brother Stair and David Smith would buy half hour blocks of airtime, knowing their messages would get out to a potentially large audience, based upon station signal strength.

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

WLS is 50,000 watts and AM.  IceBowl in WI was picking up FM.  Which is impressive! Unless your parents were picking up 94.7 FM which is the FM sister station... Which is 4,500 watts...BUT is transmitted from the top of Sears Tower.

Yeah, I picked up the Bills on MNF in the Poconos from that Hamilton blowtorch.................It's crazy that he can pick up an FM station out of Buffalo. 

11 hours ago, WhoTom said:

In the 60's I would follow the Dodgers on a small transistor radio.  Could never get LA, but I could get their games when playing Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and St. Louis.  I believe the station in St. Louis was KMOX.  The St. Louis broadcaster at the time was Harry Caray.  Today most people only remember him as the Cub announcer. 

AM is good for this at night.  Not so much in the daytime.  No skip.   I also listened to WLS at night a lot in 65' and 66'.  They were a lot like WKBW but they had a time every night they would play oldies, and I liked that.  When I got to college I met a guy from NJ who listened to WKBW every night.  He wanted the record "Thing of the Past," by the local Buffalo band ,The Tweeds."  He couldn't find that 45 in NJ, so I picked it up for him.

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Also... FWIW... Did you know that where you are in Green Bay, even better if you are in Door County (Bayshore Blufflands)... That you may be on or near the Niagara Escarpment?  Yep, the same geological feature that creates Niagara Falls and impounds L.Michigan/Huron & Erie to the North.  So you are closer to Western New York than you really think! ?  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_Escarpment

Niagara_Escarpment_map.png

So... You really are a Niagara-tonian after all!  So root for the Bills when they play the Packers!!... I know You rooted for them last night and will when they play the Bears again during the regular season!

??

About 7 to 10 years ago, I saw a documentary on the Niagara Escarpment on either the History channel or Discovery.  Up until then I thought it only existed in Lewiston.  The funny thing about the documentary was it spent almost no time on the portion in Lewiston.  Was interesting enough to generate an Internet search where I found this same map.  That was one mighty big glacier.

5 hours ago, sherpa said:

At work on good nights with our 75 foot vhf-fm antenna we will pick up USCG, Upper MS River Keokuk, Iowa... Which is just under 300 miles away.  Once in a while Detroit... And @ just over 500 miles BFLo USCG, once I heard!

That's far for FM....USCG can't be putting out the watts that much?  A normal consumer product puts out 25w or 1w...  What the USCG is putting out is a lot more... But not like 50,000 watt AM station. 

56 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

In the 60's I would follow the Dodgers on a small transistor radio.  Could never get LA, but I could get their games when playing Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and St. Louis.  I believe the station in St. Louis was KMOX.  The St. Louis broadcaster at the time was Harry Caray.  Today most people only remember him as the Cub announcer. 

AM is good for this at night.  Not so much in the daytime.  No skip.   I also listened to WLS at night a lot in 65' and 66'.  They were a lot like WKBW but they had a time every night they would play oldies, and I liked that.  When I got to college I met a guy from NJ who listened to WKBW every night.  He wanted the record "Thing of the Past," by the local Buffalo band ,The Tweeds."  He couldn't find that 45 in NJ, so I picked it up for him.

About 7 to 10 years ago, I saw a documentary on the Niagara Escarpment on either the History channel or Discovery.  Up until then I thought it only existed in Lewiston.  The funny thing about the documentary was it spent almost no time on the portion in Lewiston.  Was interesting enough to generate an Internet search where I found this same map.  That was one mighty big glacier.

With a coiled AM antenna, workers in Alaska could pick up stations in Lower 48.

Didn't they sell a coil AM antenna @ one y time and market the Alaska thingy about workers picking up Lower 48 AM stations?

AM you could probably coil all around your house and probably bring in impressive distances.

I think PTR is into the radio stuff and knows how true this may be?

Oh... Greybeard... On the escarpment thing.  There are two more that impound Lake Erie.  One you see running along the Kensington Expressway/the 33 and on Main Street/Route 5.  The other in the Boston (New York) Hills.

New York "steps" down with the 3 encampments... Or "steps" up depending how You look @ it.  I wonder if geological formations have anything to do with how radio waves "bounce" and carry?

Onondaga Formation: How L.Erie (& Finger Lakes) is impounded...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onondaga_Limestone

788px-The_Onondaga_Formation.png

Portage Escarpment:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage_Escarpment

Portage_escarpment.jpg

G.Bay is really not thAAt far from Buffalo as the "crow flies" and is "funneled" and is inter-connected geologically.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I pick up WGR 550 all the time just below Greensboro.  That's just about 500 miles straight line over the Appalachians.

Our nug lives in Apex,NC....he said he can pick up the feed at night sometimes but not during the daylight hours.That's odd...

6 hours ago, sherpa said:

A number of years ago I picked up Atlanta, GA fm in Philadelphia in the middle of the afternoon strong enough that it overran the local station I was trying to listen to.

Radios themselves are odd sometimes. When I was a kid I had a fisher price sing along radio that couldn't pick up local stations to save it's life but be damned if I couldn't listen to Detroit and St Louis clear as a bell after dark.