UB season begins with 48-10 win over Del.St.

PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not sure what you mean BB about bowls being gone. Here are the current bowl affiliations for the MAC:

Mid-American Conference - The division winners are guaranteed a bowl berth.

The Dollar General Bowl (traditionally conference champion, if not Group of Five team) versus Sun Belt
The Camellia Bowl versus Sun Belt
The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl versus Mountain West
The Frisco Bowl versus American
The Bahamas Bowl versus C-USA
The Quick Lane Bowl if either the ACC or Big 10 cannot fill their contracted slot.

I believe that someday the bowl system will be replaced with a full playoff format.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I believe that someday the bowl system will be replaced with a full playoff format.

There is just too much money with the bowl system 

they might expand the playoffs to 8-12 teams eventually but they will never get rid of bowls imo

that is what makes college football, college football... a bowl game for a small school like UB is major. Especially since their change of making the rose bowl or a college playoff bowl are super duper slim

57 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

they might expand the playoffs to 8-12 teams eventually but they will never get rid of bowls imo

that is what makes college football, college football... a bowl game for a small school like UB is major. Especially since their change of making the rose bowl or a college playoff bowl are super duper slim

The best a MAC school can hope for is an undefeated season and a shot at a Power 5 school in a major, but not playoff, bowl game. Kind of like Northern Illinois vs Florida State in the 2013 Orange Bowl.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The best a MAC school can hope for is an undefeated season and a shot at a Power 5 school in a major, but not playoff, bowl game. Kind of like Northern Illinois vs Florida State in the 2013 Orange Bowl.

I wouldn’t say that is the best case, but most realistic ... if a MAC team can become a perennial powerhouse... and say win 4 straight MAC titles while going undefeated back to back seasons they may get a wildcard bid to the playoffs 

like Boise State going to Fiesta bowl. 1 great season for UCF or any MAC school wouldn’t be enough but 4 in a row would imo 

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

32 team playoffs

It's only 5 extra games but only for the elite teams and those kids will be pros anyway and if not it's more football for the kids. When I played I hated when the season was over and wished it was longer.

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

32 team playoffs

It's only 5 extra games but only for the elite teams and those kids will be pros anyway and if not it's more football for the kids. When I played I hated when the season was over and wished it was longer.

Everybody wants to play longer 

problem is they don’t have the time for 5 extra games. They can’t go deep into January/February 

and they arent going to start August 1

Pro players get their bodies destroyed in 16 game seasons... most amateur college kids can’t play 16-17 healthy games

Edited by Buffalo716

On 9/2/2018 at 5:24 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Not the college playoffs. That's a beauty contest for about a dozen teams. My hope is UB could go undefeated, make the top 25 and get a decent bowl game against a name opponent and upset them. That's about as good as the system will let happen.

That’s my ultimate hope.

A pipe dream would be that they move up to the Big Ten and compete nationally but, even if that happened, I’ll probably be gone from the earth by then.

27 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

That’s my ultimate hope.

A pipe dream would be that they move up to the Big Ten and compete nationally but, even if that happened, I’ll probably be gone from the earth by then.

UB actually has the pedigree to be a Big Ten school. They are a research university, a member of the American Association of Universities, the largest public institution in New York State. What it doesn't have is an athletic history, which means it doesn't have the donor base 

I spoke to the AD Mark Alnutt in Albany when the UB women were in the Sweet 16. He said money and facilities hold UB back. But they now have the fieldhouse and they have football and basketball teams that are good.

He wouldn't say it out loud but the hint was he's aiming for the American Athletic Conference. (Logical considering Alnutt came from Memphis, an AAC member.) That's the logical step up from the MAC. But it would double UB's expenses just for travel alone.

The Big Ten is a pipe dream. But the one glimmer of hope is Terry Pegula going to bat. You know he's got pull with the Big Ten. Maybe he'd like a local team that brings his Alma Mater to town, into his arenas?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

problem is they don’t have the time for 5 extra games. They can’t go deep into January/February 

Pro players get their bodies destroyed in 16 game seasons... most amateur college kids can’t play 16-17 healthy games

Every school used to play 10 regular season games, then it increased to 11.  Then, in the late 90s, when one of the BCS’s excuses for not having a playoff was the extra games for the student athletes, they increased to 12.

Add the conference playoffs, bowl games and the playoffs and it’s even more.  For the 2017 season, Georgia played in the SEC championship and got to the national championship game ended up playing 15 games while Alabama played 14.

15 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Every school used to play 10 regular season games, then it increased to 11.  Then, in the late 90s, when one of the BCS’s excuses for not having a playoff was the extra games for the student athletes, they increased to 12.

Add the conference playoffs, bowl games and the playoffs and it’s even more.  For the 2017 season, Georgia played in the SEC championship and got to the national championship game ended up playing 15 games while Alabama played 14.

Yea. 14 and 15 are probably the most I see.

he was talking a round of 32 tournament which would add 5 more games to the champions schedule. That’s a lot of time

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea. 14 and 15 are probably the most I see.

he was talking a round of 32 tournament which would add 5 more games to the champions schedule. That’s a lot of time

Yeah, can’t play 2 games in a weekend like the NCAA Basketball tourney 

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Canada does

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.