Sal Carpaccio: Corey Coleman Is In Trouble

Message added by Chandler#81

Cut

2 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Other than special teams, Holmes doesn't seem like a top 5 receiver on this team. It will be interesting to see who the odd man out is.

I agree with you 100%.  The Bills love this guy for his leadership, special teams ability and the fact that he is somewhat competent at WR for a few plays when needed

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He can’t stretch the field. He’s quicker than fast. He’s a 4.53 guy. He averaged 9.7 yards per reception in college. By comparison CC averaged 17.4 YPR. Coleman is a burner that has always been a big play guy. Ray Ray is kind of like Jonathan “Fast Freddie” Smith. That’s his game. I think Ray Ray makes the team too but as a punt returner. They are totally different types of players though.

Interesting....I thought Ray Ray was a burner but I guess not.  So you think they are keeping 7 WR’s?  I can see it happening but they already will be heavy at QB and maybe TE.  

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I agree with you 100%.  The Bills love this guy for his leadership, special teams ability and the fact that he is somewhat competent at WR for a few plays when needed

All true, and although I wish they would move on from Holmes in favor of one of the other younger guys, I do not see that happening.  

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Small body of work, but Zay looks better so far this season. I think he will have a good year.

That...and the fact he’s a 2nd round pick.  He wasn’t a Beane pick but was a McDermott guy.  Cutting a 2nd round pick in year 2 looks very bad

• Like (+1) 1

Thing is,as with most teams, an injury is likely to happen to make this decision a little easier. Especially with 2 more preseason games to go. So far IMO Ray and Streater have done fantastic and will make it hard to cut either of them. Also would like to see Reilly make it somehow. I guess it will still have to play itself out with these last 2 pre games and barring any injuries we should have a better idea.

17 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting....I thought Ray Ray was a burner but I guess not.  So you think they are keeping 7 WR’s?  I can see it happening but they already will be heavy at QB and maybe TE.  

If not 7 it will be someone else (Streater maybe) that goes. They traded for Coleman for that skill. 

51 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting conversation from Sal Carpaccio on WGR this morning.  He thinks Rod Streater’s basically solidified a roster spot.  That means that the top 5 WR are filled with:

WR1:  Benjamin

WR 2:  Jones

WR 3:  Kerley

WR 4:  Holmes

WR 5:  Streater

That leaves quite the competition for WR including:

Corey Coleman

Ray Ray McLeod

Austin Prohl

Brandon Reilly

Malachi Dupre

Kalin Clay

Cam Phillips

Bob Foster

Does Buffalo keep 7 WR’s?  Maybe but I’m betting against it.  You have a group of WR’s competing for 1 spot.  

I remember Beane saying as a GM you don’t want to cut draft picks.  He almost certainly will this year but will be cut McLeod a 6th round or Prohl who he drafted in the 7th and has a personal relationship with.  

Then there’s Coleman.  Has he done enough to even beat out a McLeod?  Is his potential and past high draft status enough to warrant a spot?  Or does the fact the Bills invested a future pick mean he’s sticking around?  

And then there are guys like Reilly, Clay and Dupre who the Bills like but might not have the room.

Who do you have as the final WR on this roster?

I think Coleman is in. Final spot is Streater vs McCloud or they could keep 7 and go 3 RBs. I still guess Streater gets cut, so I am gonna disagree with Sal. 

35 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

If allen is ready to play you don’t need 3 QBs potentially. 

Or you could hold peterman and cut him to activate streater later, as someone mentioned. 

46 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that he makes it because of his ability to stretch the field and Allen’s ability to throw the deep ball. He may only play in certain packages but I can’t imagine that the Bills want to take that skill set away from Allen. Cutting Coleman would be a surprise.

I think they got Coleman with Allen in mind. The combination of the two opens an entire new look for defenses. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Mark my words.  Zay will make you regret saying that. 

Regret it? How? The poster is obviously a Bills fan, I don't think he'd be anything other than happy if Zay proved him wrong. 

He just has an opinion that Zay isn't going to work out. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Codyny13 said:

I think they got Coleman with Allen in mind. The combination of the two opens an entire new look for defenses. 

This.   Coleman makes the team simply because he allows Dabol to open up the playbook more.

Streeter will be the odd man out IMO.   He's a finished product and won't be getting better.   McLeod is still learning and has room for growth, plus he contributes on ST.

And I'd really like to keep Reilly, but I guess we'll have to let the Pats have him...

9 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Zay "Drop Zone" Jones at #2?  WTF  I swap him for Coleman or Ray Ray

Respectfully, your post is out of context with what has been going on with Zay since he returned to the field.  

His seriousness to the position, work ethic and performance has made him, even now at this late stage, one of the surprises of camp according to Sal.

Additioanlly, he apparently has also been working continually with the ones, which tells you what the coaches think of him.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts