Sal Carpaccio: Corey Coleman Is In Trouble

Message added by Chandler#81

Cut

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Interesting statement on Ms. Cabot's part regarding a dislike of Coleman's attitude.  Being an obtuse sort, is this the first time I'm hearing this about Coleman?  I thought the release was strictly performance based.

No. They hated his attitude and effort in Cleveland. 

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Makes no sense to release him unless something happened behind the scenes. 

What happened behind the scenes is his interaction with the coaching staff and their perception of his commitment, and willingness to learn the offense. 

You don't see all that. You cut it down to "let's see what happens" and are dancing between Beane being a fool for making the trade or not giving Coleman enough time? Which is it?

Obviously they didn't like what they saw. Wasted money / draft pick? Yes. Worth a shot anyway? Yes. 

I was hoping for him to be a nice grab by the team too, but if its not there its not there.

Edit: Anyway what does it matter if we lost Mr. Irrelevant in the 2020 Draft anyway! ??

Edited by What a Tuel

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yet Cleveland was willing to trade him for a 7th - 2 years out or they were going to cut him.

The Bills took a shot - it cost them next to nothing and if his talent was so great compared to his play - the Browns would have gotten more originally.

As was stated at the time this was a low risk with potential high reward, but everyone knew this was also a potential outcome.

If guaranteeing him 3.5 million dollars is next to nothing..........

He must be a real meathead.  It was unusual to see the Browns cut that high of a pick so soon and now we know why.  Given the state of the Bills WR core he must be a mental basket case not make this team  .  Kind of bummed, I was hoping we'd get lucky and get a starter WR out of him

I would have keep him.  I mean it’s a 7th round pick but this regime’s offensive player evaluation is beyond pathetic.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Your pro personnel dept should have told you all of that pre-trade, from their league sources and intel.  Assuming they did, you don’t trade for him unless you have a plan for him, and that plan has to include more than two weeks of evaluation time.  And if they didn’t have that intel, that would concern me.

Fans don’t want to admit how horrid this regime is at evaluating offensive players, especially skill players.  That should be expected when you have a defensive coach running your team, I suppose.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There were great discussions, posts, threads on the Sabres TSW board a few years ago on a nasty tough winger who also had some offensive skill, Zack Kassian. He never really became what he was supposed to be and was traded to the Oilers for Cody Hodgson, who sucked worse. Kassian is still in the league but never really put it together. But on the board he became known as "The Concept of Zack Kassian."

It was a really great name and idea and topic for discussion which is applicable here. I liked the Concept of Corey Coleman but ultimately not the player. I was very happy with the trade, seventh rounders are virtually nothing, and we needed the speed and talent infusion obviously. But after watching and reading and listening more and more he just wasn't cutting it. So he got cut. 

And now we're back to looking for The Concept of Corey Coleman because we surely need it. 

If only Robert Foster could track the ball in the air and then catch the sucker. 

The Bills must think he can track and catch the ball okay.

On 8/23/2018 at 6:33 AM, GunnerBill said:

And then hardly got on the field against Cleveland. I think he has zero shot at the 53. He is in a battle with Proehl, Reilly and Dupre for a spot on the PS. 

Hmmmmm...didn’t you say Foster had 0% chance and kept arguing with me about it just because I said I felt he still had a shot and it was too early to rule him out after first preseason game and he was showing better in practice and still has a connection to Daboll?  

On 8/23/2018 at 5:20 AM, GunnerBill said:

Foster is not making this team. You have more chance than him at being on the 53.

Well, that call didn’t work out so well for you.

On 8/22/2018 at 9:42 PM, SouthNYfan said:

0 chance he doesn't make the team.

0 chance Coleman doesn’t make the team?

I hope you aren’t a gambling man. You may want to hedge your bets.

Just now, mattynh said:

No. It’s the 3.5 million and dead cap the browns passed onto us while also getting a pick.  Lose lose for the bills.  

Not every player move works out

This bills management seems to have the ability to recognize mistakes quickly and move on from them quickly.....they could have compounded it by keeping him and not developing a player that they felt had more potential

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Not every player move works out

This bills management seems to have the ability to recognize mistakes quickly and move on from them quickly.....they could have compounded it by keeping him and not developing a player that they felt had more potential

True.  I still view it as an awful trade 

6 minutes ago, mattynh said:

True.  I still view it as an awful trade 

It was a homerun swing and a miss... but I am glad they took the swing.  As  has already been elaborated many times, the cost  was minimal and the potential was incredible.  Though they missed this time, I am glad to have management that is taking measured risks, within the framework of a clear plan.  

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I would have done it.  I'm sure that makes me crazy, but I would have.  It's a lot.  I see that it's a lot and you have to pay him.  But I just don't see a player you're going to get that is going to be better than him with you 1st pick next year.  After that, I give up a 1st, but with Mack and all the cap space we have next year, I expect that pick to be in the 20's.  I'm getting back a 2nd round pick.  So I have 2 seconds and 4-7.  That doesn't include any deals between now and then.

I'm getting a pro-bowl player in his prime instead of unknowns.  We have the money and I think he's be an absolute catalyst for our defense.  The first time he takes down Brady, no one cares what it cost.

There is no way Mack on the 2018 Bills would have this team picking in the 20s next draft. 

6 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

It was a homerun swing and a miss... but I am glad they took the swing.  As  has already been elaborated many times, the cost  was minimal and the potential was incredible.  Though they missed this time, I am glad to have management that is taking measured risks, within the framework of a clear plan.  

Yep. A few more dead cap $ isn’t that big a deal in a year where the Bills already have the most anyway. Doesn’t affect 2019 or beyond, and the WR talent on this team is poor. It was worth the small price even if it didn’t pan out. 

Edited by Boatdrinks