Sal Carpaccio: Corey Coleman Is In Trouble

Message added by Chandler#81

Cut

Interesting conversation from Sal Carpaccio on WGR this morning.  He thinks Rod Streater’s basically solidified a roster spot.  That means that the top 5 WR are filled with:

WR1:  Benjamin

WR 2:  Jones

WR 3:  Kerley

WR 4:  Holmes

WR 5:  Streater

That leaves quite the competition for WR including:

Corey Coleman

Ray Ray McLeod

Austin Prohl

Brandon Reilly

Malachi Dupre

Kalin Clay

Cam Phillips

Bob Foster

Does Buffalo keep 7 WR’s?  Maybe but I’m betting against it.  You have a group of WR’s competing for 1 spot.  

I remember Beane saying as a GM you don’t want to cut draft picks.  He almost certainly will this year but will be cut McLeod a 6th round or Prohl who he drafted in the 7th and has a personal relationship with.  

Then there’s Coleman.  Has he done enough to even beat out a McLeod?  Is his potential and past high draft status enough to warrant a spot?  Or does the fact the Bills invested a future pick mean he’s sticking around?  

And then there are guys like Reilly, Clay and Dupre who the Bills like but might not have the room.

Who do you have as the final WR on this roster?

Edited by BuffaloRush

Coleman has only played with the 2s and 3s last game which was his only game so far. He hasn't been around long enough to establish any chemistry with any of our QBs. If he's healthy, next to KB he's most likely our best receiver. IMO he makes the 53.

Add a young and cheap guy early in the next draft, shifting the look of things. I know we have FA $$$ to spend, but the vet WR’s get crazy money! I’m not sure if it matters much who we keep at the bottom of this position group. Some guy who helps on ST, I suspect. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Coleman has only played with the 2s and 3s last game which was his only game so far. He hasn't been around long enough to establish any chemistry with any of our QBs. If he's healthy, next to KB he's most likely our best receiver. IMO he makes the 53.

Problem is, we are already keeping 3 QB’s on the roster.  It’s possible the Bills might keep 4 TE’s.  I don’t think they have the numbers to keep 7 WR’s.  Keeping Coleman likely means cutting Ray Ray.  Not sure that will happen

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting conversation from Sal Carpaccio on WGR this morning.  He thinks Rod Streater’s basically solidified a roster spot.  That means that the top 5 WR are filled with:

WR 4:  Davis

That leaves quite the competition for WR including:

Who do you have as the final WR on this roster?

Streater making the team for week 1 would be a huge surprise IMO.......not that he hasn't played like one of the top 5 WR on the roster.......clearly he has....I just can't see them giving him a guaranteed paycheck as fragile as he is.    

They can cut him and just keep him around town and sign and cut him on a week-to-week basis.......... .......just have to make sure he's on the roster the week before the Patriots game.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Streater making the team for week 1 would be a huge surprise IMO.......not that he hasn't played like one of the top 5 WR on the roster.......clearly he has....I just can't see them giving him a guaranteed paycheck as fragile as he is.    

They can cut him and just keep him around town and sign and cut him on a week-to-week basis.......... .......just have to make sure he's on the roster the week before the Patriots game.

Streater's issue is he doesn't bring much in terms of special teams or something we don't already have in Jones or possibly Holmes. Coleman on the other hand offers speed, which everyone knows, you can't teach. Toss in more potential. 

I can’t really say I’ve seen enough of him to know either way. 

Hopefully we will get a better idea of where he’s at this Sunday. 

If he’s running with the 1’s or 2’s this Sunday, I’d say his chances are looking ok to make the roster. If he’s with the 3’s, and then plays late into preseason game 4, then I’d guess his chances aren’t as good. 

Personally, if he’s buying in, has a good attitude and working hard, I’d like to keep him around. He has the talent to be a good NFL WR. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that he makes it because of his ability to stretch the field and Allen’s ability to throw the deep ball. He may only play in certain packages but I can’t imagine that the Bills want to take that skill set away from Allen. Cutting Coleman would be a surprise.

True but do they keep Coleman at the expense of a Ray Ray McLeod?  He can also stretch the field, play KR/PR, and has had a productive preseason at WR.  I don’t think Coleman is as solid as some do

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

WR 4:  Holmes

Zay "Drop Zone" Jones at #2?  WTF  I swap him for Coleman or Ray Ray

• Like (+1) 2

I think he makes the team.  Coleman isn't just fast - he's lightning fast.  Big arm rookie QB needs a guy for a go route - enter Coleman in the game.  He's not a route runner yet and we won't ask him to be right away.  His job is to go, he can go and we desperately need that.  

Edited by White Linen
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

True but do they keep Coleman at the expense of a Ray Ray McLeod?  He can also stretch the field, play KR/PR, and has had a productive preseason at WR.  I don’t think Coleman is as solid as some do

He can’t stretch the field. He’s quicker than fast. He’s a 4.53 guy. He averaged 9.7 yards per reception in college. By comparison CC averaged 17.4 YPR. Coleman is a burner that has always been a big play guy. Ray Ray is kind of like Jonathan “Fast Freddie” Smith. That’s his game. I think Ray Ray makes the team too but as a punt returner. They are totally different types of players though.