Sal Carpaccio: Corey Coleman Is In Trouble

Message added by Chandler#81

Cut

53 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I disagree with your top 5, but for the sake of argument, RayRay is #6, clearly.  I'm not a big fan of ClayClay, but he's in there as well because of ST and PR.  I still think Zay Jones is in trouble, and not the lock everyone thinks he is.  Much as I'm a Life of Reilly guy, I see PS for him and Proehl.  The rest?  Hasta la vista, baby.

I can't see them giving up on Zay so soon.  This regime drafted him and they traded up to get him early in the 2nd round.  If he was a Whaley/Rex pick he'd probably be gone. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting conversation from Sal Carpaccio on WGR this morning.  He thinks Rod Streater’s basically solidified a roster spot.  That means that the top 5 WR are filled with:

WR1:  Benjamin

WR 2:  Jones

WR 3:  Kerley

WR 4:  Holmes

WR 5:  Streater

That leaves quite the competition for WR including:

Corey Coleman

Ray Ray McLeod

Austin Prohl

Brandon Reilly

Malachi Dupre

Kalin Clay

Cam Phillips

Bob Foster

Does Buffalo keep 7 WR’s?  Maybe but I’m betting against it.  You have a group of WR’s competing for 1 spot.  

I remember Beane saying as a GM you don’t want to cut draft picks.  He almost certainly will this year but will be cut McLeod a 6th round or Prohl who he drafted in the 7th and has a personal relationship with.  

Then there’s Coleman.  Has he done enough to even beat out a McLeod?  Is his potential and past high draft status enough to warrant a spot?  Or does the fact the Bills invested a future pick mean he’s sticking around?  

And then there are guys like Reilly, Clay and Dupre who the Bills like but might not have the room.

Who do you have as the final WR on this roster?

Why does Z Jones deserves to be our #2 ?? 

Because we had to move up in the 2nd round to get him ? 

I’m not saying we should give up on him BUT he needs to earn it !!! 

Allen

Peterman

McCoy

Ivory

Murphy

Jones

KB

Jones

Coleman

Streater

Ray Ray

Holmes/Kerley

Clay

Thomas

Croom

Lee

Dawkins

Mills

Newhouse

Ducasse

Miller

Teller

Groy

Bodine

That would make 24 on offense...I'd put Foster and Proehl on PS...Foster could be good with a year or 2 of PS.

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

WR Order week 1 will be IMO:

KB

Streater

Holmes

Zay

Coleman

Ray Ray

Kerley/Foster

I fully expect early in the season that both Zay and Coleman will have shots to move up the depth chart, but due to both not being here for OTA's and most of camp, that Streater and Holmes could be listed ahead of them week 1.  

I expect that Holmes will be the guy who drops, but I think Streater is going to be hard to knock down, he's been very good again and I think he right now has earned starting spot IMO until someone like Zay or Coleman put more work in and earn the right to challenge for that spot.

Foster is not making this team. You have more chance than him at being on the 53.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just don’t get the love for Foster. Yes, he’s fast and we don’t have enough of that. But he’ dogs it out there, Short-arming catches, no sign of leaping ‘want-it’ and gives up on plays when the QB is forced to scramble. Couldn’t even start in college.

anywho, here’s my choices;

KB

Kerley

Zay

Coleman

Streeter

RayRay

Reilly

hope we get Proehl back for PS -he’s a Draft Pick after all. Holmes may well be available after waivers as well. Not like he isn’t familiar with unemployment..

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If Zay was in trouble he wouldn't be working exclusively with the starting unit.

The top four receivers (and stone cold locks) are obviously Benjamin, Zay, Holmes and Kerley.

Coleman is a stone cold lock.

They just traded for him.

They want his speed.

He's very young.

There is zero chance he doesn't make the team, unless he has a massive injury between now and then.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think Kerley gets cut.  Not sure what he brings that the others don't, he's 29 and he's only 5'9" (I think they like the taller WR's). 

The Bills don’t have much at WR, I don’t see him being cut. KB, Kerley, Zay that must be the plan. Then mix in Holmes, Coleman, Streater. 

Kerley is/was a crafty receiver,  he could really help keep drives alive. If he has any of that shiftiness left he should be a lock. 

Edited by Commonsense

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If Zay was in trouble he wouldn't be working exclusively with the starting unit.

The top four receivers (and stone cold locks) are obviously Benjamin, Zay, Holmes and Kerley.

I’m not sold on Holmes being a Lock. Sure, he’s made memorable catches, but he has for other teams as well and still found himself out looking for a job. IMO, IF he’s cut, it would mean we have a underrated WR group who could open some eyes across the League. It appears we may finally have a WR Friendly passer. #Unchartered territory ‘round these parts!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

The Bills don’t have much at WR, I don’t see him being cut. KB, Kerley, Zay that must be the plan. Then mix in Holmes, Coleman, Streater. 

Kerley is/was a crafty receiver,  he could really help keep drives alive. If he has any of that shiftiness left he should be a lock. 

They have more at WR than people think.  I think that Kerley's size hurts him.

12 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting conversation from Sal Carpaccio on WGR this morning.  He thinks Rod Streater’s basically solidified a roster spot.  That means that the top 5 WR are filled with:

WR1:  Benjamin

WR 2:  Jones

WR 3:  Kerley

WR 4:  Holmes

WR 5:  Streater

That leaves quite the competition for WR including:

Corey Coleman

Ray Ray McLeod

Austin Prohl

Brandon Reilly

Malachi Dupre

Kalin Clay

Cam Phillips

Bob Foster

Does Buffalo keep 7 WR’s?  Maybe but I’m betting against it.  You have a group of WR’s competing for 1 spot.  

I remember Beane saying as a GM you don’t want to cut draft picks.  He almost certainly will this year but will be cut McLeod a 6th round or Prohl who he drafted in the 7th and has a personal relationship with.  

Then there’s Coleman.  Has he done enough to even beat out a McLeod?  Is his potential and past high draft status enough to warrant a spot?  Or does the fact the Bills invested a future pick mean he’s sticking around?  

And then there are guys like Reilly, Clay and Dupre who the Bills like but might not have the room.

Who do you have as the final WR on this roster?

I wouldn't automatically keep Holmes or even Kerley....I like Kerley, but Coleman IMHO makes him more expendable. Kerley can add that vet presence in the slot, but Zay Jones' natural abilities put him in the slot as well and even Coleman could move outside or inside. I think Coleman adds a dimension to the team that no one else brings and they traded (yes, basically a dog whistle & some Cracker Jacks) for him when they did because I think they see Coleman as an essential piece of the Offense once the season is underway. We haven't seen him in large part due to still gaining the comfort with the playbook and coming up to speed on their culture, but I don't think Coleman is really at risk of being cut. Possibly....but I just think his strengths help the team more than some of the other WRs. 

So: Benji, Zay, Kerley, Coleman, Ray-Ray, Reilly and Streater are the guys I think make the strongest cases for the 53 with Ray-Ray being inactive on game days for awhile. Phillips and either Foster or Proehl go to PS and the rest are cut. 

Reilly I think makes it due to his size and quicks that allow him to move from slot to boundary - that versatility that Daboll really likes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

They have more at WR than people think.  I think that Kerley's size hurts him.

He is a slot guy, why would his size? Is your reasoning that McD wants all big receivers? That would be a horrible mindset for a coach. 

Look at this list, if Kerley is healthy and hasn’t ran into a brick wall in the past year he is making the team http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776994/article/jamison-crowder-leads-top10-slot-receiver-separation%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league-t;team%3Dphi;team%3Dmia;team%3Dwas;team%3Ddal;team%3Dmin;team%3Dsea;conf%3Dnfc;conf%3Dafc;dvsn%3Dnce;dvsn%3Dace;dvsn%3Dncn;dvsn%3Dncw;plyr%3Dpierre_garcon;plyr%3Ddesean_jackson;plyr%3Ddrew_brees&p.ct=Next%2bGen%2bStats&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

91 percent of the time he was in the slot and his average separation was over 3 yards, give me that 5’9 guy that can play. I’m not so sure why you think big Mc wants all bigger WRs, they just drafted 5’9 Mccloud; 5’10 Prohel, and then traded for 5’11 Coleman. 

Edited by Commonsense