What do we draft with a top 5 pick next year ?

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Sure FIC, Tre is "good." Absolutely. They also passed on quarterbacks to take him. I have always said that building a team properly is more important than just getting someone "good." Picks like Spiller, Whittner,  McKelvin, etc. destroyed this team and we could go back even more than this.

We can take a painful walk down memory lane when I hated the McGahee and Spiller picks from the bottom of my heart. I will admit however that I was in the 'lets wait and see' camp regarding tWitner and McKelvin. History obviously proved you right on those two but the idea itself wasn't as flawdd as it was with the RBs. That they turned out to be poor players lacking instinct was a knock on the scouts. 

Be that as it may, I would like to think that things are better now but you must admit that besides the obvious positions, it is always who you pick rather than which position is chosen. Dareus and even Shaq are DL picks but really haven't proven themselves to be impact players worthy of a Rd 1 pick. 

21 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

strange. I haven't seen them.

you aren't looking very hard then.

there are people all over this board who think we are going to go 14-2 and win the super bowl.

there are also people who think we are going to go 0-16.

On 8/30/2018 at 11:01 PM, greeneblitz said:

This coach will get 1 WR and 4 defensive backs, just like a long string of Buffalo Bills coaches.

Sadly, this is likely what will happen ... a token offensive player and the rest defense.  Contrary to the main narrative on TBD, McDermott and Beane could be interchangeable with their predecessors since about 2000.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Be that as it may, I would like to think that things are better now but you must admit that besides the obvious positions, it is always who you pick rather than which position is chosen. Dareus and even Shaq are DL picks but really haven't proven themselves to be impact players worthy of a Rd 1 pick. 

Good point. Imho, early first round draft picks should be used on QBs, Pass rushing DEs and LTs.  I think this because they are just so hard to get any other way.

If the Bills pick early next season (10 or below) they would (imo) be well served to draft a pass rusher or a top LT. If none are there I would be tempted to trade the pick to a team that needs a qb and go after other positions, this; only because we already have a qb.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/30/2018 at 11:24 PM, TigerJ said:

I get the frustration, and there were a lot of things to dislike this evening, but there is no correlation between team performance in preseason and regular season success. 

Not true.  There's no correlation between a team's record in preseason and regular season success, but teams that cannot sustain drives, that cannot run the ball or protect its QB, that take lots of penalties, etc seldom do that well in the regular season because how a team plays in preseason is a reflection of its talent and the quality of its coaching. 

On 8/31/2018 at 5:58 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

There is so much right with this post I couldn't just give it a thumbs up.

I had to come in here and respond with "there is so much right with this post".

personally, I need three potential starting OLinemen from the 2019 draft, because you are not going to get even one reasonably good one in free agency.  

When they are even half good they never come available, like the way WR and such come available.

I agree with this except for your last sentence.  Teams other than the Bills can pick up excellent starting OLers either through FA or trade whenever the Bills decide that they can't "afford" to pay their best OLers.  Andy Levitre left in FA, All Pro LT Jason Peters was traded to PHilly after a contract dispute, and, of course, Cordy Glenn was shuffled off to Cinci  so that the Bills could draft a QB who's likely to fail because of the lack of pass pro to give him time to throw.

On 8/31/2018 at 7:28 AM, mabden said:

1) Left Tackle

2) Center

3) Guard

4) Wide Reciever

5) Cornerback

6) Linebacker

I think you've got the order wrong.  CB, LB, WR, OG, OC, LT sounds about right.

23 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

We wont have the draft capital to trade up that high

But we really havent done that for a while now besides Tre, who looks to be a great pick.

I do agree that RBs can be had in the 4th or lower rounds. Need the OL though else a shiny new QB, WR and RB can be worth David Carr. 

Wasn't 2017 rather recent?  The pattern that the Bills have followed for about 20 years is drafting a quality RB or DB in the first round, developing them into top players, letting them walk in FA or trading them, and then drafting their replacements in the first round of the draft.  That's exactly what happened in 2017 when the Bills let Pro Bowler Stephon Gilmore leave for NE and then drafted Tre White to replace him, passing on both Mahomes and Watson in the process.

Did you know that the starting RB for the NE Patriots in their first SB run in 2001 was former Bills first round pick (1997) Antowan Smith whom the Bills let leave in FA?  

The coaches and FO come and go, even Bills owners come and go, and still the more things seem to change with the Bills, the more they stay the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Good point. Imho, early first round draft picks should be used on QBs, Pass rushing DEs and LTs.  I think this because they are just so hard to get any other way.

If the Bills pick early next season (10 or below) they would (imo) be well served to draft a pass rusher or a top LT. If none are there I would be tempted to trade the pick to a team that needs a qb and go after other positions, this; only because we already have a qb.

I do agree with everything and will add that we will need interior OL and WR help which can be in round 2-3. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SoTier said:

Not true.  There's no correlation between a team's record in preseason and regular season success, but teams that cannot sustain drives, that cannot run the ball or protect its QB, that take lots of penalties, etc seldom do that well in the regular season because how a team plays in preseason is a reflection of its talent and the quality of its coaching. 

I agree with this except for your last sentence.  Teams other than the Bills can pick up excellent starting OLers either through FA or trade whenever the Bills decide that they can't "afford" to pay their best OLers.  Andy Levitre left in FA, All Pro LT Jason Peters was traded to PHilly after a contract dispute, and, of course, Cordy Glenn was shuffled off to Cinci  so that the Bills could draft a QB who's likely to fail because of the lack of pass pro to give him time to throw.

I think you've got the order wrong.  CB, LB, WR, OG, OC, LT sounds about right.

Wasn't 2017 rather recent?  The pattern that the Bills have followed for about 20 years is drafting a quality RB or DB in the first round, developing them into top players, letting them walk in FA or trading them, and then drafting their replacements in the first round of the draft.  That's exactly what happened in 2017 when the Bills let Pro Bowler Stephon Gilmore leave for NE and then drafted Tre White to replace him, passing on both Mahomes and Watson in the process.

Did you know that the starting RB for the NE Patriots in their first SB run in 2001 was former Bills first round pick (1997) Antowan Smith whom the Bills let leave in FA?  

The coaches and FO come and go, even Bills owners come and go, and still the more things seem to change with the Bills, the more they stay the same. 

RBs can be found anywhere , not sure what the relevance of Antowain Smith is . He was OK in Buffalo, but not great. The CB thing was a trend for a while , but I don’t think the McD pick of White was related to previous regimes. The team had a need at CB because Gilmore was good, but not great. He was in line for a big payday, and letting him walk was a smart move. He’s not elite. QB was an option, but I can understand not wanting a lame duck GM to select the QB for an incoming one. I’ll agree that many terrible moves were maid over the years due to Ralph’s tight purse strings and Detroit bean counters. Those days are gone, so there’s little relation. Look at NFL salaries. QBs are highest, followed by elite WRs, LTs , elite pass rushers and elite CBs. Paying a good CB as an elite one is a mistake. The Pats have won for years because of Brady. In Brady’s early years , they won with a dominant D. After Brady was established, they traded lots of very good D players instead of paying them. Paying a top RB isn’t even a thought. They don’t need it , and the game has changed in 17 years. The Bills haven’t won since they had a good starting QB. It won’t change until they do. 

As for the selection with a top 5 pick , it will probably be a pass rushing DL as it appears to be the strongest position in the draft. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

8 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

RBs can be found anywhere , not sure what the relevance of Antowain Smith is . He was OK in Buffalo, but not great. The CB thing was a trend for a while , but I don’t think the McD pick of White was related to previous regimes. The team had a need at CB because Gilmore was good, but not great. He was in line for a big payday, and letting him walk was a smart move. He’s not elite. QB was an option, but I can understand not wanting a lame duck GM to select the QB for an incoming one. I’ll agree that many terrible moves were maid over the years due to Ralph’s tight purse strings and Detroit bean counters. Those days are gone, so there’s little relation. Look at NFL salaries. QBs are highest, followed by elite WRs, LTs , elite pass rushers and elite CBs. Paying a good CB as an elite one is a mistake. The Pats have won for years because of Brady. In Brady’s early years , they won with a dominant D. After Brady was established, they traded lots of very good D players instead of paying them. Paying a top RB isn’t even a thought. They don’t need it , and the game has changed in 17 years. The Bills haven’t won since they had a good starting QB. It won’t change until they do. 

As for the selection with a top 5 pick , it will probably be a pass rushing DL as it appears to be the strongest position in the draft. 

How do you know that Gilmore is "good but not great"?  His career isn't over yet, and he's already been a Pro Bowler once.  Moreover, that's the same line that Bills fans have used -- along with "he doesn't want to be here" or "the Bills can't afford him" -- when the Bills sent packing Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Jabari Greer, Nigel Bradham, Ronald Darby, and a slew of other good DBs they developed when or just before they were due to make market value.   Meanwhile, one of their first round DBs who truly was at best "good" and mostly certainly not "great", Leodis McKelvin, they kept for 8 years.

The Bills RB swapping was legendary:  Antowan Smith(1997), Travis Henry (2nd in 20010, Willis McGahee (2003), Marshawn Lynch (2007), and CJ Spiller (2010).   It appears that the RB carousel finally stopped when Whaley became the GM, but it continues under the current regime.

As for Whaley, I don't think he was a lame-duck before much before the draft.  He was Russ Brandon's pal from long before either one came to the Bills IIRC.  I think they might have become friends in college, and that's likely why he prevailed over Marrone.   I think Whaley may have became the odd man out during the process of putting together the Bills draft board, specifically over whether or not to draft a QB  in the first round.  McDermott won that one, and Whaley was sent packing shortly afterward.