Don't cut Reilly

beacon

I just don’t get the Reilly hype.  Dude didn’t really do much in college and is treated like he is some hidden gem here.  I’m sure he’s a good guy but he is the definition of a JAG.  

10 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Reilly needs to be on this team.  And he deserves to be on this team.  Big mistake if they cut him or PS him - Pats wanted him last year.  That is a fact.  If we try to PS him he will be gone to Pats or elsewhere.  Has the knack of getting open, great hands, solid speed, decent size.

They only wanted him because he’s white.  

3 hours ago, mrags said:

No one ever said he was a bust. Just that he wasn’t worth the money he would demand. It hasn’t been proven wrong yet. He’s still nothing special in NE. 

Nah, he's worth the money NE pays him. If he wasn't, Belichick would cut him in a heartbeat. He does what they ask him to do, and he's productive.

Hogan's the 57th highest paid WR in football.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...CERTANLY agree.....Belichick scoops him to play with Hogan, "that bust" we let slip away...........

Riles was available all last year nobody touched him....Hogan is the same guy - patriots throw it 40 times a game Bills threw it 18. Your going to have better numbers

1 hour ago, Art in RTP said:

I think that's Murphy's other job to start the season.

True! The same could be said about Coleman also. Why settle on one returner?

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....yea because we're scoring so many points from our special teams? I'd rather have a possession receiver like Reilly help me on 3rd & long, than Ray Ray with a 7 yr punt return. Cutting Reilly will be another mistake. 

I mean look who was returning kicks and punts last couple of season. New fresh legs on the field, maybe he'll have a McGee impact back there. The first 5 is a capable amount of Receivers to help on 3rd and long. Put Reilly on PS.

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I don’t know where you live or what you saw but I saw this fan base go gaa-gaa over Hogan. Calling him 7-11 because he’s always open. And a whole bunch of people pissed that he was not resigned. 

The other WR yourbtalking about was Da’Rick Rogers and he was considered a 1st or 2nd round talent out of college with issues. He displayed no issues publicly here and was cut. Indy picked him up and he showed nothing in the nfl. Probably a very similar story to Josh Gordon but with less talent. And if it wasn’t for the Browns, Gordon wouldn’t have a job anywhere either since there isn’t a team that would take a chance on a multiple time addict over 2 years. 

Gillisslee is good and even if hes off NE within a year, that doesn’t take away the fact that he would have been much better than our option last year of “the Toldozer” to back up Shady. 

Williams was a drug addicted as well. Smoking weed and eating was his love. Playing in the nfl was not. 

You’re right, if NE wanted him they probably would have taken him already. This isn’t about that imo tho. There are plenty of teams that could use a young WR with potential. But that still doesn’t change my opinion, that there is nothing special about Reilly and I’d let him walk if needed. If I could, I’d resign him to the practice squad but that’s about it. Hasn’t shown me anything special. 

I agree on Reilly, many here think he is something special because of a few preseason games but there always seems to be that guy that fans fall in love with from preseason and the PS that they think the front office is mistaken by not playing them.

As for Hogan, go back and look at his time here. Fans started to change their mind a little bit about him in his final year here, but he was one of the whopping boys that many wanted run out and gone. Then he goes to NE and Brady throws to him and he was another one of the 'players we foolishly gave away'.

4 hours ago, mrags said:

No one ever said he was a bust. Just that he wasn’t worth the money he would demand. It hasn’t been proven wrong yet. He’s still nothing special in NE. 

And in the grand scheme, he's still not expensive either. 4m a year for 40 catches and 4-5 tds.

He runs the right routes, he does what he's supposed to do and he catches the ball. You can do a lot worse. Fwiw, he had as many targets last year as he had the year before in half as many games. 

41 minutes ago, CardinalScotts said:

Riles was available all last year nobody touched him....Hogan is the same guy - patriots throw it 40 times a game Bills threw it 18. Your going to have better numbers

....certainly understand but I like the kid's work ethic, moxy, grit and a blue collar lunch pail type... probably wasn't poached off the PS as a UDFA that still needed work.....poacher would have to activate him which it was doubtful he was ready despite decent pre-season....just a hunch, but Bills never activated him which prevented an accrued season and extends his RFA status....the broken rib suffered earlier this year didn't help him........still hopes he makes it.......

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nah, he's worth the money NE pays him. If he wasn't, Belichick would cut him in a heartbeat. He does what they ask him to do, and he's productive.

Hogan's the 57th highest paid WR in football.

His statistics are not anything spectacular 

37 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I agree on Reilly, many here think he is something special because of a few preseason games but there always seems to be that guy that fans fall in love with from preseason and the PS that they think the front office is mistaken by not playing them.

As for Hogan, go back and look at his time here. Fans started to change their mind a little bit about him in his final year here, but he was one of the whopping boys that many wanted run out and gone. Then he goes to NE and Brady throws to him and he was another one of the 'players we foolishly gave away'.

I never thought Hogan was anything special, but this is just false. The majority of this fan base absolutely loved this white, lunch page, high motor, underdog of a player. And the majority were very upset we didn’t resign him. 

Just now, mrags said:

I never thought Hogan was anything special, but this is just false. The majority of this fan base absolutely loved this white, lunch page, high motor, underdog of a player. And the majority were very upset we didn’t resign him. 

Hogan is going to help me win my fantasy leagues this year.  Shhhhh

Just now, mrags said:

Ok. Let me know how that turns out. Hopefully he’s your 3rd or 4th WR

Edelman is suspended.  Amendola is out.  Cooks is traded.  Decker sucks.  Gronk can't catch everything.  And Hogan has a knack for getting open.  Someone needs to get some receptions from Brady.  Hogan is great value.  And yes he will be my # 3, but I suspect #2 or 1 #s upside

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Edelman is suspended.  Amendola is out.  Cooks is traded.  Decker sucks.  Gronk can't catch everything.  And Hogan has a knack for getting open.  Someone needs to get some receptions from Brady.  Hogan is great value.  And yes he will be my # 3, but I suspect #2 or 1 #s upside

You are incredibly high of you think a guy that’s literally never got more than 45 catches, 700 yards in a season, and 5 TDs is somehow going to turn into a #1 fantasy WR. 

Just curious, does your league need any new players? I’d like to get in there. 

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....yea because we're scoring so many points from our special teams? I'd rather have a possession receiver like Reilly help me on 3rd & long, than Ray Ray with a 7 yr punt return. Cutting Reilly will be another mistake. 

The point is, one of them will actually play and the other won't, because he'll ride the bench.

So a 7 yard punt return is worth more than Reilly sitting on the bench during a 3rd and long.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Hogan is a guy you pick up off waivers for a week while all your other receiver's are injured or on a bye week.