Trump Wants To Regulate Google

14 minutes ago, Magox said:

I wouldn't trust them to do it on their own.  If they could have a regulated entity that is approved by congress to conduct the fact checks, details on what is and isn't censored and how the algorithmic search and display functionalities are conducted (which I would argue is even more important than the fact checking/censoring), then I'd be ok with it.

I don't trust the media nor big tech to conduct this.  

While we are at it, I think the media needs to be regulated.  

I read a really good article the other day in the WSJ from ex CBS chief Van Gordon Sauter which I highly recommend that people read.  He goes on to make the case not just that the media has made a huge leftward lurch especially now in the age of "resistance journalism" under Trump, where the mask has completely been taken off, but that the journalistic model is driven by finances as opposed to just giving straight news.  I've lamented over this for years on this board, that today's news is driven by affirmation bias.  People want to get their news where it comports with their pre existing held views.  If news organizations begin to start moving away from this, they will lose viewers, at least that's their calculation.  So the financial motive is to continue to keep providing what their base viewers want to digest.   And now in the age of Twitter, these so-called journalists want to become Twitter rock stars and the more gotcha moments they can provide for their followers, the larger their followings, likes and retweets they will get.  Which helps their careers out.  At least so they believe. 

Dan Abrams had a novel idea in that article:

For all publicly regulated news companies, they should have to list themselves as left, center and right leaning organizations.  That should be made clear and it should be regulated by congress to provide metrics to somehow prove this.   I'm tired of the media pretending to be objective when they are not and the public should be made very aware of where their leanings stand.  The way they could do this is not just on HOW they report the news but what stories they determine to cover, that is how their soft bias shows, at least that was the old school way.  

It's possible that doing something like this could get you a better overall product that may actually report just the news.  

Because the news media had abdicated any sort of objectivity in this country, who can "fact check" that both sides of the political aisle will believe? Source documents are great, but even here, a political sub-forum,  people refuse to read source documents.  The journalists that used to compile that data, and only slightly spin to make a point, are gone. Today's media ignores, smothers, and buries unwanted information. It is only those with the time and inclination to dig deeper (and really, no one can be knowledgeable about everything) who can find the truth.

I think many/most people have been under the assumption that media is click-based the last 8-10 years. We are now seeing through lay-offs that that model is not sustainable. Is it because there are only X amount of people to read left leaning sites? Is it because there are very few centrist sites? Heck, Drudge sold his crappy looking aggregator last year (no one knows if that was to get out while the gettin' was good, or if it was for other reasons).

Will newspapers and online news media become a billionaires toy? With a billionaires spin? WaPo isn't called Bezos' Blog for nuthin'.

In any event, if social media wants to keep those nice little platform perks they really should stay within the law they paid Congress to write.  "Fact checking" the President of the United State - who has access to far more intel than any newspaper, and then "fact checking" with craptastic sources like CNN and WaPo was just asking for trouble. I guess we shall see today if they found it.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

Because the news media had abdicated any sort of objectivity in this country, who can "fact check" that both sides of the political aisle will believe? Source documents are great, but even here, a political sub-forum,  people refuse to read source documents.  The journalists that used to compile that data, and only slightly spin to make a point are gone. Today's media ignores, smothers, and buries unwanted information. It is only those with the time and inclination to dig deeper (and really, no one can be knowledgeable about everything) who can find the truth.

I think many/most people have been under the assumption that media is click-based the last 8-10 years. We are now seeing through lay-offs that that model is not sustainable. Is it because there are only X amount of people to read left leaning sites? Is it because there are very few centrist sites? Heck, Drudge sold his crappy looking aggregator last years (no one knows if that was to get out while the gettin' was good, or if it was for other reasons).

Will newspapers and online news media become a billionaires toy? WaPo isn't called Bezos' Blog for nuthin'.

In any event, if social media wants to keep those nice little platform perks they really should stay within the law they paid Congress to write.  "Fact checking" the President of the United State - who has access to far more intel than any newspaper, and then "fact checking" with craptastic sources like CNN and WaPo was just asking for trouble. I guess we shall see today if they found it.

Have they?  Or is non complementary coverage of Trump FAKE NEWS?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Because the news media had abdicated any sort of objectivity in this country, who can "fact check" that both sides of the political aisle will believe? Source documents are great, but even here, a political sub-forum,  people refuse to read source documents.  The journalists that used to compile that data, and only slightly spin to make a point are gone. Today's media ignores, smothers, and buries unwanted information. It is only those with the time and inclination to dig deeper (and really, no one can be knowledgeable about everything) who can find the truth.

I think many/most people have been under the assumption that media is click-based the last 8-10 years. We are now seeing through lay-offs that that model is not sustainable. Is it because there are only X amount of people to read left leaning sites? Is it because there are very few centrist sites? Heck, Drudge sold his crappy looking aggregator last years (no one knows if that was to get out while the gettin' was good, or if it was for other reasons).

Will newspapers and online news media become a billionaires toy? WaPo isn't called Bezos' Blog for nuthin'.

I don't expect the Executive order to have real teeth to it.  We'll soon find out.

But it should be a clarion call for the Republican Senate to take this matter up.  For me, this is a priority.   A few months ago there may have been bipartisan desire for this, but now that Trump is in the middle of it, I wouldn't bet on it.

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey is asking people to “please leave our employees out of it” after it was revealed that one of his senior employees hates President Trump and the people in the states who voted for him:

Sorry, Jack:

Laughable.

The guy is not just a lefty, he's a left wing nut job. The guy shouldn't have any responsibility that involves objectivity.   

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Magox said:

Laughable.

The guy is not just a lefty, he's a left wing nut job. The guy shouldn't have any responsibility that involves objectivity.   

• Like (+1) 4

Authoritarianism and silencing dissent at its finest right here: 

Trump executive order takes aim at social media firms: draft 

Trump wants to spread propaganda without any consequence and distract from the 100,000 dead Americans and 40+ million on unemployment. 

16,000 non stop lies in 3+ years - man ignorance is bliss in Trumpville.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Trump wants to spread propaganda without any consequence and distract from the 100,000 dead Americans and 40+ million on unemployment. 

You serve China well. Do you get free fortune cookies too?

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Trying to get a second source on this... but: 

This Executive Order and Trump tweets about Obamagate and Scarborough are shiny coins to distract YOU from:

100,000+ dead Americans
1.8M+ COVID infections
41M+ unemployed Americans

AND Trump doing NOT A THING about it.

Trump is taking on Twitter because his priorities are clearly F’d up and his ego is tarnished while Americans continue to die.

Vote the POS out

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

100,000+ dead Americans
1.8M+ COVID infections

What else do need to read fellow PPP'ers.

Dishonest, childish tripe from BillZtime  BillStime

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, BillStime said:

This Executive Order and Trump tweets about Obamagate and Scarborough are shiny coins to distract YOU from:

100,000+ dead Americans
1.8M+ COVID infections

Trump is taking on Twitter because his priorities are clearly F’d up and his ego is tarnished while Americans continue to die.

Vote the POS out

Why aren't you putting the blame where it SQUARELY belongs?

CHINA.

The Kungflu, China virus.

Jesus Christ you lefties are so laughable.

And if you are living in NY state (or near NYC), why don't you look at your local officials and what they are doing about this pandemic before having this fake outrage about Trump.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

Are you OK with Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg as the arbiters of truth for the rest of us know nothings?  May be good for you now cuz they're "fact checking"  what you like.  What if say 5 years from now things change and the person at Twitter turns out to be a Republican plant and he/she starts "fact checking" the current seated D prez?

I find this an odd strategy by Twitter.  For years they and FakeBook and Instagram etc have said they are not a publisher responsible for content, they are only the pipes that carry the information.  Now they seem to be doing the opposite.  So does this open the door for categorizing them as publishers who can sued for libel etc.?

• Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Why aren't you putting the blame where it SQUARELY belongs?

CHINA.

The Kungflu, China virus.

Jesus Christ you lefties are so laughable.

And if you are living in NY state (or near NYC), why don't you look at your local officials and what they are doing about this pandemic before having this fake outrage about Trump.

It's always someone else's fault. Poor Trump. Such a victim all the time - thoughts and prayers big guy. But...

Just curious - In 2018, did China fire Homeland Security Advisory Tom Bossart, whose job was to coordinate a response to global pandemics?  Ah, you're right - that's Trump's job and of course Trump did not replace him.

Just curious - In 2018, was China supposed to replace Dr. Luciana Borio when she left her job as the NSC director for Medical and Bio-defense Preparedness? NOPE - that would be TRUMP.

Just curious - In 2018, did China stop funding the CDC's epidemic prevention activities in 39 out of 49 countries?  NOPE - that would be TRUMP.

Just curious - In 2019, was China supposed to replace Tim Ziemer, the NSC's Senior Director for Global Health Security and bio-defense? NOPE - that would be TRUMP.

Just curious - did China shut down the entire Global Health and Bio-defense Agency?  Ah, no? Oh, who did? TRUMP.

Since 2018 - Trump absolutely destroyed our pandemic preparedness and global infrastructure.

Jesus Christ you FASCISTS are so laughable.

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Are you OK with Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg as the arbiters of truth for the rest of us know nothings?  May be good for you now cuz they're "fact checking"  what you like.  What if say 5 years from now things change and the person at Twitter turns out to be a Republican plant and he/she starts "fact checking" the current seated D prez?

I find this an odd strategy by Twitter.  For years they and FakeBook and Instagram etc have said they are not a publisher responsible for content, they are only the pipes that carry the information.  Now they seem to be doing the opposite.  So does this open the door for categorizing them as publishers who can sued for libel etc.?

I'm sorry, the President of the United States shouldn't depend on SOCIAL MEDIA - a format originally designed for KIDS in college to communicate and connect - as his formal communication mechanism. 

Twitter should just boot the MF right from the platform.