Trump Wants To Regulate Google

I think we're looking at this totally backwards.  The tech giants cannot filter out the "bad stuff" whatever that is.  To expect them too and rust them too is foolhardy IMHO.  The way they are doing looks like politically motivated corporate censorship.  

A better play would be open it up and you can do whatever you want.  Enact some laws of decency such as no videos of people getting killed etc. Then offer a $1000 reward to anyone who finds anything like this out there.  Then take it down and fine the Original Poster $100 or whatever.  Would Cause people to think and the "bad stuff" would be identified and taken down quickly.

The creepiest thing google does is their ad tracking (it is quite sophisticated). 

I just finished a search for Bills tickets, and what do I see on the political blog I was reading when I refreshed?  Nothing is secret on the internet. 

tickets.JPG

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The creepiest thing google does is their ad tracking (it is quite sophisticated). 

I just finished a search for Bills tickets, and what do I see on the political blog I was reading when I refreshed?  Nothing is secret on the internet. 

tickets.JPG

Happens all the time. I was looking for a picture of a "Depends" package to post in response to someone, probably here, and I got incontinence product ads galore on everything I opened up.

44 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Happens all the time. I was looking for a picture of a "Depends" package to post in response to someone, probably here, and I got incontinence product ads galore on everything I opened up.

I wonder what happens if I search "Confederate flags for sale" or "LGBT is mental illness."  

Probably get ads for assisted suicide.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I search for anti+abortion materials and get ads for planned Parenthood.

You can't clear any of that stuff in an active way like clearing cache, history, etc.. You have to be clever.  I searched for "Canadian geniuses" 10 times in a row and now I get blank spaces where the ads would be.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

tickets.JPG

If you think that's creepy, if you have an Android phone Google is listening to craft your search results.  For example...

I am a Penn State college football fan that follows the B1G Conference.  I also read up stories for other B1G teams, such is Michigan and Michigan St

A few years ago MissionBBQ opened a restaurant in a different part of town than where I live.  A coworker who lived near MissionBBQ was telling me about it.  Our workplace was in another part of town that was also not near MissionBBQ. 

So I whip out my Android phone and look up MissionBBQ.  Remember, this is a restaurant that I had never looked up and is not in the part of town where I was located.  I enter the letters mi and the first recommended results was not Michigan or Michigan St or Minnesota Vikings, or any other topic starting with mi that I had previously searched.

Google gave me results on the topic I was discussing verbally

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, /dev/null said:

If you think that's creepy, if you have an Android phone Google is listening to craft your search results.  For example...

I am a Penn State college football fan that follows the B1G Conference.  I also read up stories for other B1G teams, such is Michigan and Michigan St

A few years ago MissionBBQ opened a restaurant in a different part of town than where I live.  A coworker who lived near MissionBBQ was telling me about it.  Our workplace was in another part of town that was also not near MissionBBQ. 

So I whip out my Android phone and look up MissionBBQ.  Remember, this is a restaurant that I had never looked up and is not in the part of town where I was located.  I enter the letters mi and the first recommended results was not Michigan or Michigan St or Minnesota Vikings, or any other topic starting with mi that I had previously searched.

Google gave me results on the topic I was discussing verbally

About a year ago, a group of us were sitting at a bar. One of the group is a small business owner and was talking about hiring some extra help for summer. The bartender said that she would talk to her daughter who was a student and free for the summer. Within seconds this business owner had a friend suggestion on the book of faces. These people have never crossed paths. The mother is not on facebook. There really was no explanation other than his phone was listening, or pure coincidence. 

I Was Called A KKK Member For Asking Amazon To Support Ideological Diversity.

All of this points to the fact that Amazon has no conservatives in positions of power. No conservative board member would sit idly by while the SPLC was allowed to run the business’s charity portal. It’s inconceivable. That’s why we think Amazon needs to institute a policy that considers viewpoint and ideological diversity. But such a suggestion was too much for the leftists in the room.

They booed and heckled me throughout my presentation. After my proposal, a representative from Arjuna Capital suggested that I was there to “protect white males.” Then, after the meeting, a representative from the Nathan Cummings Foundation tracked me down to suggest I should get going so I wouldn’t be late for my “next Klan meeting or book burning.” This is the guy who introduced a shareholder proposal calling on Amazon to ban content!

Liberal intolerance for diversity of thought is both top-down and bottom-up. Amazon’s board flatly rejected our proposal in the hopes of remaining a liberal enclave. Amazon’s activist investors hate the thought of viewpoint diversity so much that they reacted with petulance and name-calling.

When you hear a corporation tout its supposed goals of “diversity and inclusion,” just know that this sentiment doesn’t mean inclusion of conservatives or those with deeply held religious beliefs.

Very much the opposite.