Michael Lombardi: Start Josh Allen; 'Ridiculous' to play Nate Peterman because offensive line stinks

After Josh Allen struggled against the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday at New Era Field, some experts said the Buffalo Bills should pull the reins back a bit with the rookie gunslinger and turn to Nathan Peterman at quarterback to start the season.

Former NFL executive and Ringer podcast host Michael Lombardi said that's "ridiculous."

"To me the most ridiculous thing I ever heard is they should play Peterman because the line's not good," Lombardi said on Monday's episode of the "GM Street" podcast. "But the line isn't gonna be good for him either. ... Is the line gonna get any better because Nate Peterman's playing? The line stinks, it doesn't matter who plays quarterback.

https://articles.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/08/michael_lombardi_ridiculous_to_play_nate_peterman_line_stinks_start_josh_allen.amp

He has a point.

Edited by Starr Almighty

1 minute ago, Starr Almighty said:

After Josh Allen struggled against the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday at New Era Field, some experts said the Buffalo Bills should pull the reins back a bit with the rookie gunslinger and turn to Nathan Peterman at quarterback to start the season.

Former NFL executive and Ringer podcast host Michael Lombardi said that's "ridiculous."

"To me the most ridiculous thing I ever heard is they should play Peterman because the line's not good," Lombardi said on Monday's episode of the "GM Street" podcast. "But the line isn't gonna be good for him either. ... Is the line gonna get any better because Nate Peterman's playing? The line stinks, it doesn't matter who plays quarterback.

Ummmm - YES. 

The reason being that if you can get in and out of the huddle faster to allow more time to read and make adjustments to the line pre-snap THEN get the ball out QUICKER - THOSE things minimize the defects of the terribly offensive, offensive line.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Ummmm - YES. 

The reason being that if you can get in and out of the huddle faster to allow more time to read and make adjustments to the line pre-snap THEN get the ball out QUICKER - THOSE things minimize the defects of the terribly offensive, offensive line.

Why can't Allen be coached into getting out of the huddle quicker? He acknowledged in his press conference after the Cincy game that he needs to do just that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

https://articles.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/08/michael_lombardi_ridiculous_to_play_nate_peterman_line_stinks_start_josh_allen.amp

He has a point.

As others have said in other threads I don't think that Josh is up to NFL speed just yet.  Only the coaches know how he responds to frustration but odds are a few bad outings will impede his overall progress.  Yeah, I know the Manning Boys and others were thrown to the wolves and rounded into top QB's but more just wear down to where they lose confidence long term.  It's not going to be a run to the SB this year so lets develop guys including the 2018 rookie class.

Rob Johnson's offensive line was terrible. It didn't get good for Flutie - he just hid it with mobility and quicker decisions.

Even with Glenn-Incognito-Wood, this team's pass protection has not been good in a long time. Tyrod just masked that.

• Like (+1) 7

His point, well, misses the point.

It's not about this year, not about Peterman making the line better, or anything like that.

It's about not ruining Josh. He's a fancy sports car and we shouldn't put him in there to plow the driveway.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Why can't Allen be coached into getting out of the huddle quicker? He acknowledged in his press conference after the Cincy game that he needs to do just that.

Allen does just fine (for the most part). He just got rattled last week.  He will learn.

One of Nate's biggest assets is his ability to quickly read a defense and make adjustments. Nate's weak arm is his downfall. I think Nate will make for an excellent backup QB and a very good mentor in teaching Josh to "speed read" the defense. 

Personally, I think it would be great to let Josh play the whole game tomorrow night. The kid has got everything it will take to be our franchise guy. He just needs enough experience playing at the NFL level. To be able to play in a game where they are not sending out the wolves, he will get experience in more things than picking grass out of his teeth.

Make no mistake, Josh is our guy. He just needs some time to get up to speed.

IMHO

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shotgunner said:

It's not about this year, not about Peterman making the line better, or anything like that.

It's about not ruining Josh. He's a fancy sports car and we shouldn't put him in there to plow the driveway.

The writer is talking about using him like a dump truck.  Just pop the trunk open on the 'Vette" known as Josh Allen and have the loader pour the gravel in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterRob said:

The writer is talking about using him like a dump truck.  Just pop the trunk open on the 'Vette" known as Josh Allen and have the loader pour the gravel in.

For real.

Gotta look at the macro. Anyone focusing solely on this upcoming year when making that decision just isn't paying attention.

No thanks to getting Josh killed in a year where we aren't real contenders anyway.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I've said this before.

Josh is the fancy new sportscar.

Nate is the cheap winter beater you drive when the weather sucks.

Nathan Beaterman.

• Haha (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Ummmm - YES. 

Agreed.  Peterman makes the line look better by making better pre-snap reads and faster decisions & throws.  

But I also agree with Lombardi that Peterman shouldn't start because the line is horrible.  He should start because he's done the best job behind that horrible line.  

I began this year saying that AJ is the present, Allen is the future, and Peterman is the odd man out.  But I don't know how we can ignore the preseason.  So far the offense works best when Peterman is under center.   

Allen, on the other hand, has shown potential.  I think he ought to be the starter once he shows he can consistently make quick, good decisions with the ball.   That may be later this season but it's not today.

39 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Yeah, I know the Manning Boys and others were thrown to the wolves . . .

Actually, Eli did NOT start until later in his rookie year.  The Giants started what they thought was a washed-up Kurt Warner until Eli was ready for NFL speed AND their O-line had "gelled" enough to protect him a little.  (They let Warner go and he went to the Super Bowl with AZ.)

The Giants did the same thing with Joe Pisarcik and Phil Simms in Simms' rookie year.

Edited by Ennjay
additional info

Whats worse, Allen taking 5 sacks in the 1st half or Petermen throwing 5 interceptions in the 1st half. Petermen followers state it was only 1 game, well it was only one game for Allen. Bottom line is the O-line sucks.

Edited by Tatonka68

4 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

Actually, Eli did NOT start until later in his rookie year.  The Giants started what they thought was a washed-up Kurt Warner until Eli was ready for NFL speed AND their O-line had "gelled" enough to protect him a little.  (They let Warner go and he went to the Super Bowl with AZ.)

The Giants did the same thing with Joe Pisarcik and Phil Simms in Simms' rookie year.

You're right and that point was just made recently.  The central point I was making was that far more QB's wash out when thrown to the wolves than thrive.  The 93 degree temp at present is affecting my memory.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 1