Peterman will never live down the 5-pick half . . .

Dr. K

. . . . no matter how long he plays in the league or what he does or does not accomplish. If he dies seventy years from now, the first line of his obituary will be , "Nathan Peterman, who threw five interceptions in his first half of football, died today at the age of ninety-three." He might as well make "Fivepicks" his middle name and get it tattooed on his forehead.

This is just an observation, not a value judgment. That one half of football will hang around his neck unless and until he does something spectacular like win a Super Bowl, and even then it will be the first thing any story about him, even one praising him, will start with. Granted, it can't be denied that he did the deed; he was trying to be the anti-Tyrod and he erred in the other direction, disastrously.

There have been QBs in the league who have less to offer but had decent careers--that's my opinion, not some universal truth. But it's kind of a drag to contemplate having a single afternoon characterize you for the rest of your career. 

Allen is suffering something similar, where the conventional wisdom of his abilities or non-abilities--completion percentage, for instance--is the story line that he will have to fight against for a long time. But in his case I don't think it's quite as large an albatross. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

. . . . no matter how long he plays in the league or what he does or does not accomplish. If he dies seventy years from now, the first line of his obituary will be , "Nathan Peterman, who threw five interceptions in his first half of football, died today at the age of ninety-three." He might as well make "Fivepicks" his middle name and get it tattooed on his forehead.

This is just an observation, not a value judgment. That one half of football will hang around his neck unless and until he does something spectacular like win a Super Bowl, and even then it will be the first thing any story about him will start with. Granted, it can't be denied that he did the deed; he was trying to be the anti-Tyrod and he erred in the other direction, disastrously.

There have been QBs in the league who have less to offer but had decent careers--that's my opinion, not some universal truth. But it's kind of a drag to contemplate having a single afternoon characterize you for the rest of your career. 

Allen is suffering something similar, where the conventional wisdom of his abilities or non-abilities--completion percentage, for instance--is the story line that he will have to fight against for a long time. But in his case I don't think it's quite as large an albatross. 

Seriously?  You do know that QBs in today's NFL do not call their own plays, right?

So, to say "he was trying to be the anti-Tyrod" is BS.

Make no mistake about it, Peterman will "never live it down" because nobody fans will make sure of it.

Mark my words, it won't be long before Josh Allen starts to collect his very own band of hangmen just waiting to hang him every chance THEY get.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

He tied the record for most picks in a first start in half a game. It's going to be on him forever the only thing he can change is the perception of it. If he somehow becomes very successful in the league it's  a funny anecdote if he flames out then it was a sign of things to come.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Success said:

Didn’t Peyton Manning have a 6 pick game?

Yes, he did; and against the Chargers, as well.  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/3647-colts-chargers-a-nightmare-game-for-peyton-manning

So did Fitzy.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/09/25/ryan-fitzpatricks-six-interceptions-amazed-the-internet/?utm_term=.d851ea38529c

Edited by Happy Gilmore
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Peterman was under fire possibly worse than Allen was during PS game #3. Young guys need SOME help. It was sad to humorous, but it was real. Ugh....

What you saw was a lack of pocket mobility, total panic, a complete loss of composure, and no regard for ball security. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Seriously?  You do know that QBs in today's NFL do not call their own plays, right?

So, to say "he was trying to be the anti-Tyrod" is BS.

Make no mistake about it, Peterman will "never live it down" because nobody fans will make sure of it.

Mark my words, it won't be long before Josh Allen starts to collect his very own band of hangmen just waiting to hang him every chance THEY get.

The playcalls could be exactly the same. The knock against Tyrod was the he was afraid to pull the trigger for fear of turning the ball over. Peterman went into that Chargers game with the determination that he would not hesitate to throw, and he paid the price. He's much more discerning now. 

But because of that half, every time he throws a pick or a near-pick, the announcer will mention his 5-pick game. Other QBs will not have to face that; he always will. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What you saw was a lack of pocket mobility, total panic, a complete loss of composure, and no regard for ball security. 

So....it was a mediocre thing? 

It was a generational disaster, but it wasn’t all on the QB. DL came in unblocked. 

Just now, Augie said:

So....it was a mediocre thing? 

It was a generational disaster, but it wasn’t all on the QB. DL came in unblocked. 

Regardless. There was no need to become a baker to produce a multitude of turnovers.  Take a sack or throw it away to live for another day. 

Honestly I have very little to go on to formulate an opinion. Looks like a champ in preseason. He absolutely crashed and burned during his debut. Looked better during the Colts game but still didn't finish. Again he is looking absolutely clutch in preseason again. 

The doubters and naysayers could be right. They could be dead wrong. I'm on the fence. The only problem I have with his doubters is they remove any room for improvement. It's just not logically possible for Nate to be anything but that 5 interception joke. 

That and they bend over backwards to dismiss Peterman and Prop up Allen. The closest they will come is meh the O-Line sucks start Nate or AJMcarron to get killed. Hey it's progress! Even though they look goofy mentioning AJMcarron. 

I'm in full support of Peterman starting but I'm still going to be cringing worried that he will crash and burn. It's going to be a very nervous excitement for me.

I will be excited if he starts. This is the QB I want to start. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Regardless. There was no need to become a baker to produce a multitude of turnovers.  Take a sack or throw it away to live for another day. 

I’ve been watching forever, and that was the worst (but possibly most amusing!) half of football I’ve ever seen. He got punched in the mouth almost immediately on every throw, and it got almost humorous. 

Edited by Augie

Just now, 1ManRaid said:

Brett Favre, who holds the all time record for career INTs, yadda yadda...

Peyton Manning, who holds the record for most INTs thrown by a rookie, yadda yadda...

Yup, will never live it down, no matter what.

Totally fair comparison to two Hall of Fame QBs. :lol:

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

Brett Favre, who holds the all time record for career INTs, yadda yadda...

Peyton Manning, who holds the record for most INTs thrown by a rookie, yadda yadda...

Yup, will never live it down, no matter what.

If he turns into Favre or Manning (unlikely) then they will start with it as an ironic comment on how great he later became. 

44 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

This is just an observation, not a value judgment. That one half of football will hang around his neck unless and until he does something spectacular like win a Super Bowl, and even then it will be the first thing any story about him, even one praising him, will start with. Granted, it can't be denied that he did the deed; he was trying to be the anti-Tyrod and he erred in the other direction, disastrously.

If you take all the letters in all our quarterbacks initials, it spells JANPAM

• Haha (+1) 1