This Was Always a Quiet Rebuild

H2o

Here are a couple things I think:

We had some bad years where we got good draft order - but squandered picks.  Most of the time we have been languishing with middle-ish draft choices, hard to really reset a roster when you're not getting up to the top without sacrificing MORE picks to do so (see several moves we made during the drought).

The NFL is constantly evolving - unless you have a real forward thinking front office/coaching staff, you are going to be constantly playing a catch up game.  In our case we've had almost constant turnover in the front office and coaching staff.  That makes it so difficult to have any real "building" going on when schemes change (how many times did we go from 3-4 to 4-3 and back again in the past decade?)  This all adds to a further weakening of talent.

I think we just had the perfect storm of garbage for a very long time.  Constant turnover in the front office/coaching staff, a lot of busts in drafts or just picking players you didn't need.

Don't get me wrong - I've enjoyed this team throughout, because I stick with the team.  It has been difficult to see though, riding the rollercoaster hoping that this season will be different.  I TRULY think that this has been settled.  I think we are going to have this core of GM/Coach for a while - and that is going to equate to success, even if it isn't instant gratification.  While the Drought ended with some help, it was important I think to throw that monkey off our backs and now we can focus on improving without constantly thinking "19 years, 20 years, ..."

I'm excited for the future.  I think Allen is going to improve and I am sort of OK with Peterman as a serviceable starter for now until Josh is ready.  Peterman seems to have taken strides this preseason.  The O-Line is really a problem - and we've seen that combining that with Josh right now is a recipe for disaster.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

A taste of the playoffs last year had us all hoping this was turning around quicker than anticipated. The fact we were only a few plays away from beating a team that was in the AFC Championship piled onto that hope. If Tyrod throws back shoulder to Benjamin, if the defense could stop Blake friggin Bortles from looking like Michael Vick, this, or that, we all contemplated the scenarios. It had us relieved that the drought was over, but we still had that uncharted excitement due to the year we had. The fact of the matter is this has always been a rebuild since McDermott took over and Beane was brought in after last year's draft. 

We have basically washed our hands of everything and everyone in previous regimes. Watkins, Glenn, Dareus, Darby, and Tyrod were all traded away. Gilmore was allowed to walk in FA along with Preston Brown, Goodwin, Henderson, and Robert Woods. Eric Wood's injury was an unforeseen wrench thrown in there as well as Richie's personal struggles that led to his retirement. Right there we are talking about 11 starters between the offense and defense which were all on the field for us just two years ago. That is one hell of a turnover. You couple all of these roster moves with the fact we have an aging Shady, Hughes, Kyle on what is most likely his farewell tour, and now you throw in 3 more starters who all may not be on this team as early as 2019. We are going through some serious changes. 

We have acquired some key pieces in this time as well through the draft, FA, and trades. The FA side of things is judged by me with Hyde and Poyer. I know the preseason hasn't been what we hoped for, but last year they were arguably the best Safety tandem in the league. Two of the best pickups we have made in quite some time. Teams always make moves their fans or members of the media don't always agree with. I didn't like the Star contract and I still don't like the Star contract, but hopefully he can contribute. We have traded for players like Kelvin Benjamin and Corey Coleman who are still on the team. Benjamin may be a long term piece here and we can't really judge anything on Coleman except the fact we got him for basically a bag of peanuts. Imo, the money has been in the draft. Last year we picked up Te White, Dawkins, and Milano. The jury is still out on Zay Jones, but hopefully he bounces back from all of his on field struggles and off the field incidents to become a productive WR. This year we get Josh Allen who is the future of the franchise at QB, Edmunds who is destined to be the QB of the defense, Harrison Phillips who is basically Kyle Jr., Taron Johnson, and Wyatt Teller. All of these players I feel will be good, if not great players for us in years to come despite Dunkirk Chad's Word on the situation. All of these players we have acquired have also been done so in a way which we haven't parted with anything consequential in the years to come. 

This year maybe a struggle and there are some things that have put us in a places we did not expect with this roster, but I still have faith that the Coaching Staff and FO have us moving in the right direction for long term sustainable success. We are projected to have $90,000,000 in cap room next offseason after dropping all of the dead weight. We still have all of our early round picks. We have some really solid young talent as well as a few key vets under contract the next few seasons. I know we enjoyed the little taste of success we had last year, but with a rebuild comes growing pains and that is what this has always been.  

Imo, this is the attitude that should he embraced around here. Id bet most knowledgeable fans feel similar. Its a shame that the small percentage who act like their Depends need to be changed are so loud and persistent.

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just love the narrative that a team that averaged 8 wins in the previous regime needed a rebuild. 

It's not that cut and dry. Whaley put together teams either treading water or trending downward. And, it took a huge expenditure of cap dollars to get there. 

After 4 years of Marrone and Rex the Buffalo Bills were out to sea without wind and featuring broken sails. They weren't going anywhere.

I get that no one wants to hear patience, but I'm more open to it now that there's at least some plan in place. I couldn't get there under previous regimes because the plan was either short sighted or knee-jerk. 

This was always a 2-3 year rebuild, given the need to find new personnel. And, to get out of a bad cap situation, find better talent evaluators, and put together a plan that worked in the modern NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

How many of those are self inflicted wounds by the FO. I totally agree that we have too many holes to cover in an off season. He’ll, I think it probably takes 3. But there didn’t need to be that many. 

Dareus is a good example. Between dead cap and salary, we are paying his replacement 23 mil for lesser production. We had an out next year that would have slashed his dead cap money. 

It feels like we are trying to clean out the fridge but just throwing perfectly good food on the ground in the process. Now we have to clean up the mess and buy more groceries. 

What is the perfectly good food

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Quiet? This is/was always a full rebuild. From the time they wanted to go to a 43 and install a west coast spread.

oh come on ..............    you're ruining the narrative.  

16 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Hmmmmm . . . . . I wonder what Bucky and Sully would have to say about this.

I dunno   but I hear they're back 

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What is the perfectly good food

Darby- Strip steak. Not filet, but a good piece of meat and not cube steak. could be pricey down the line but we got it on sale with our EBT card.

Preston Brown- sliced honey baked turkey. Sure not your go to protein, but better than most deli meats. A reliable lunch product. 

Glenn- wheat bread. Expensive for bread. We don’t eat it much, but wish we did consume more because we know it’s good for us. Expensive to replace too.

Dareus- A piece of your wedding cake. Sure it’s not as good as the day you got married, but now you have to go out and buy another one so your wife doesn’t find out you tossed it. Now we’ve paid twice for it and have to look the wife in the eye and pretend it’s the same one, even though you both know it’s not. 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree with the 8-8.  That’s why if Andy Dalton didn’t help, last year would have been terrible.  

But I’d argue that with a franchise type qb, those Whaley teams were SB contenders or at worst, playoff contenders every year.  Can you say that about this year’s team?

But we never got the franchise QB.  We traded franchise QB assets to get a WR for EJ Manuel.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’m a bit concerned about the returns on our FA signings this year... 

Star looks average, totally not worth 10mil per, IMO.

Trent Murphy is made of glass.

A.J. McCarron is a waste of 5mil as the 3rd QB.

Vontae Davis is washed. 

In total you’re looking at over 20mil on the cap this year between those four... Of course this is all knee-jerk thoughts based on pre-season, but I honestly wish we had a mulligan on how we spent our money this offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Meazy26 said:

I’m a bit concerned about the returns on our FA signings this year... 

Star looks average, totally not worth 10mil per, IMO.

Trent Murphy is made of glass.

A.J. McCarron is a waste of 5mil as the 3rd QB.

Vontae Davis is washed. 

In total you’re looking at over 20mil on the cap this year between those four... Of course this is all knee-jerk thoughts based on pre-season, but I honestly wish we had a mulligan on how we spent our money this offseason. 

AJ mcCarrons waste is fine if peterman starts with with a 614K cap hit.

2 hours ago, Figster said:

Or a franchise QB

Which they put themselves into a position to draft despite assembling a winning record.  They have more pieces to assemble and it was not all going to come together in one year.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think I would be ok with a total collapse this year, but knowing the Bills could possibly have TWO QB's they can win with as they improve the roster around them.

If the Bills start out badly, I would be open to trading McCoy and/or Clay for draft picks, but the cap may not allow that to happen.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree with the 8-8.  That’s why if Andy Dalton didn’t help, last year would have been terrible.  

But I’d argue that with a franchise type qb, those Whaley teams were SB contenders or at worst, playoff contenders every year.  Can you say that about this year’s team?

I think that's sort of OP's point, though. This year's team actually went out and got one.