This Was Always a Quiet Rebuild

H2o

I think it's been pretty clear that this team is rebuilding/reshaping/reforming, whatever term you wanna use.

Their first step was constructing a locker room with players that have the type of character they're looking for. Players that didn't wanna buy in, or players that were more about personal achievement than the team were shuffled out. After that they unloaded contracts that were killing their cap.

The next step was putting themselves in position to draft who they believe is their franchise QB. They did what they had to do and pulled the trigger.

In the midst of this, they lost two players they didn't expect to lose with Wood and Incognito (although you can argue that they were prepared to move on from Incognito due to them asking him to take a pay cut) and so the OL is not where they want it to be. But, I think it's also been pretty clear since day one is that they want to build their defense first, which makes complete sense. A young QB's best friends are a strong defense and a strong running game. They *could* be a top 10 defense this year if everything comes together. And McCoy, despite numerous scheme changes and different OL personnel in front of him, has managed to rack up over 1K yards in two out of his three seasons here. 

They knew they weren't going to be throwing the ball a whole lot with Taylor yet they still invested in Benjamin and Jones. Maybe Jones turns the corner, maybe Benjamin finds his 2014 form, maybe not. 

They are addressing needs based on their priority list, not ours. Perhaps they felt the players they had in the OL room would be able to step up and replace Wood/Incognito. It's been a rough pre-season for the OL but again, it's pre-season.

I mean, regardless of how they wanna rebuild this thing, it's gonna take time. There are gonna be growing pains. There are gonna be a lot of busted TV remotes this year as they go flying across the living room while fans rage. 

It's been said since the early off-season, not many people think the Bills are contenders for 2018, but moreso for 2019 when their cap is cleared up and set to provide them with plenty of space to fill holes via free agency.

I'm good with the process, it just takes patience. The one part of the process I'm not so good on right now is the constant personnel shuffling, especially with the OL. At a certain point they have to make up their mind and name their center and guards. We know the tackle spots belong to Dawkins and Mills. Who's playing interior OL then? Is it Groy, Ducasse and Miller? Is it Bodine/Ducasse/Miller? Is it Bodine/Groy/Ducasse? Bodine/Groy/Miller? Does Teller find his way in there? I dunno but they need to figure it out and name their top five and let those guys start working together. All the penalties and miscues last Sunday can be attributed to the fact that the five OL that started the game have not had a substantial amount of reps together. And then from series to series they're trying this guy here, that guy there, flipping guard spots so those players have to switch up their technique in the middle of a game. Yes, they're pros and yes they should be able to adjust but if you're playing one position for most of a game and get flipped to the other side where things are opposite, it can definitely throw you off your game.

It could be a long season for us fans but hopefully it's all for the best. I just need to not see "FIRE ABSOLUTELY EVERY SINGLE MOTHERFRIGGIN' PERSON IN THIS ORGANIZATION!!!!!!!11111111" after every loss or rough game. Anyone thinking that McBeane is gonna be shown the door after this season, think again. The Pegulas absolutely love those guys and are willing to let them see their vision through for quite a long time. Let them do their work. Can't fix everything in one or two seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Zay did something way worse than anything Sammy did and he’s not close to as talented.  And I guess signing PED guys= character now. 

Even though you hate him, Tyrod has proven to be a nfl starting qb.  And he also didn’t want to give up on his first round qb after 3 years.  I’m not a fan of the Allen pick but I’d want the Bills to do the same for him. 

@C.Biscuit97- it is NOT that I hate TT, what disappointed the ever living crap outa me was the fact that when ever he stepped on the field with the Bills down by 6 or less in the 4th quarter with less than 3 minutes to go you KNEW in your heart of hearts he WAS NOT going to win the game for you.  I really liked the guy - he was an awesome guy - he protected the ball to a fault, more often his not anyone else's fault, he was a dazzling and sometimes MADDENING player to watch. 

Ya - I get it great guy, some good metrics but when you look at the overall long term picture (Oh and the Browns will soon learn to their rue) TT was not and is not the answer.  If 8-8 in perpetuity is good for you then I truly feel sorry for you.  8-8 is CRAP on a stick served cold.  You have a really bad draft position, never make it to the post season and bottom line your team basically sucks a donkey's azz.  Sorry man - we just need to agree to disagree - I get it you like the guy - I did too, but the Bills DID make the right decision in removing TT.  Is Allen the answer?  I do not know.  I sure hope so.  Maybe Peterman comes from nowhere and lights it up?  I doubt this but hey - who knows?  Till the games are for real we won't know.  Sadly the biggest predictor for our season going forward isn't going to be QB but O-Line and WR corps......if QB1 for the Bills can't remain upright he will be running for his life and if he is lucky and can get rid of the ball those WR's better catch the damn thing!

Who are the PED guys???  I guess I missed those signings......

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

@C.Biscuit97- it is NOT that I hate TT, what disappointed the ever living crap outa me was the fact that when ever he stepped on the field with the Bills down by 6 or less in the 4th quarter with less than 3 minutes to go you KNEW in your heart of hearts he WAS NOT going to win the game for you.  I really liked the guy - he was an awesome guy - he protected the ball to a fault, more often his not anyone else's fault, he was a dazzling and sometimes MADDENING player to watch. 

Ya - I get it great guy, some good metrics but when you look at the overall long term picture (Oh and the Browns will soon learn to their rue) TT was not and is not the answer.  If 8-8 in perpetuity is good for you then I truly feel sorry for you.  8-8 is CRAP on a stick served cold.  You have a really bad draft position, never make it to the post season and bottom line your team basically sucks a donkey's azz.  Sorry man - we just need to agree to disagree - I get it you like the guy - I did too, but the Bills DID make the right decision in removing TT.  Is Allen the answer?  I do not know.  I sure hope so.  Maybe Peterman comes from nowhere and lights it up?  I doubt this but hey - who knows?  Till the games are for real we won't know.  Sadly the biggest predictor for our season going forward isn't going to be QB but O-Line and WR corps......if QB1 for the Bills can't remain upright he will be running for his life and if he is lucky and can get rid of the ball those WR's better catch the damn thing!

Who are the PED guys???  I guess I missed those signings......

Trent Murphy. But he has Stanford character!

I had a 2018 Bills Salary Cap thread and from that last April you could see that the Bills were retooling and cleaning house. 

#’s of last spring.  

2019 season there will be around $60 mil in cap space and 35 players under contract.  

2020 there were 20 players under contract and $90 in cap space.  

That was the sign the rebuild started already.   

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm genuinely curious Scott. Do you think when Beane and McDermott came in together they had their first meeting and decided they needed to get rid of all of Whaley's players no matter what? Do you think they ignored the salary cap problems altogether? How do you square that analysis with their decision to keep Shady, Mills, Incognito, Washington, Lawson, Hughes, and others left over from the last regime?

I had answered that with my opinion and now I posted comments on the salary cap

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Of course not.

They preferred their players and draft capital over some solid players already here. Benjamin, Star, and draft picks for Watkins, Dareus, and Darby for example. 

Jurys out on if if they were the right moves. 

They knew they needed a QB. They knew the guys that didn't fit their system, scheme and effort wise. They knew from dealing with these guys on the day to day which ones had problematic attitudes in their eyes. Many things go on that we never see or hear. I trust in what they are trying to build and I understand the locker they want I believe, the type of guys they are looking for. Does that mean I agree with every move? No, but every FO makes mistakes from time to time. You can tell if they admit it by the moves they make thereafter. The jury is still out, but this is what they are building.