The Athletic: Erik Turner Breaks Down the Bengals' Five Sacks of Josh Allen

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

This will be the philosophy of Daboll's offense. Chunk plays have their place, but they are most effectively set up by a series of chain moving, smaller gains for first downs that keep drives alive and the defense on the field. Chunk plays occur most often when defenses get frustrated and start cheating up on the shorter routes. 

I also think Daboll will utilize tempo changes very frequently, especially when he gets favorable matchups. 

Yes, I think so too. Which is why I think Peterman gets the day 1 start, even if it's only for a few weeks. 

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is a really ignorant statement.

No, here you're just flat out wrong. Take the sack over throwing to a covered defender crossing the middle.

Coaches across the NFL widely disagree with you...

Sack >>>>>> INT

And you absolutely risk an INT throwing to a covered WR across the middle.

How on Earth is that pass getting intercepted?

The defender is behind the receiver, and it's a short pass. The odds of him breaking in front to intercept the pass are practically non existent.

Allen needs to feel the pressure, and throw the ball down and away where only his guy has a chance of catching it and avoid the sack for a loss of 8 yards. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Its safe to say if Allen makes those throws in the video he's our starting QB.. It was a clear example of why he needs a little more time 

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is way off topic but it hit me that Josh Allen's nickname should be Joe Wyoming

Is that a play on Johnny Utah

Just now, ddaryl said:

Its safe to say if Allen makes those throws in the video he's our starting QB.. It was a clear example of why he needs a little more time 

It was definitely a set back after the week 2 Browns' game where he has making those types of throws. 

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I feel like on the first one he was looking for a bigger play on 2nd and 2 which is why he didnt take the 3 yarder. Going forward hopefully he realizes to take a first down if its given to him, esp on that side of the field.

The second play you can see he cocks his arm but for some reason didnt throw it. Going forward I think he needs to just trust himself a bit more, as he looked to have made the right read.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Completely agree.

Bills fans need to grow some thick skin with Allen as our QB. There are going to be some major growing pains over the next couple years as he tries to figure out how to play quarterback. If people are expecting a smooth ride for a guy who pretty much everyone said was a 2-3 year project then they're going to be extremely disappointed. 

I don't think this is bad long term, but I completely agree that Allen isn't ready to play, and as Carter said, "there's nothing wrong with that." He's got the tools, he just needs time to figure out how to use them properly. 

The Bills had a bad offense last year (29th in yards, 22nd in points) and they got worse at QB and on the OL. It's hard to imagine them winning many games with that should be one of the 3-4 lowest scoring offenses in the league this year. 

Edited by jrober38

53 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A lot extremely sensitive Bills fans in regards to Allen.

He may suck, he may be awesome. Right now we have no clue.

The last 20 years of first round QBs picked in the first round tells us he's probably going to suck. 

Nothing about his preseason suggested he's ready to lead an NFL offense in regular season games. He did a few nice things, and there's stuff the build on, but the notion that we need to see what he can do immediately makes hardly any sense when you consider how big a project he was coming out of Wyoming. 

On 8/28/2018 at 10:41 AM, whatdrought said:

This is very illuminating. Josh definitely missed some things, but had very little to work with and even when he had time, he had pressure in his grill. 

I think the thing that bothers me is that the D-line was making the O-line its you know what all game and we didn't adjust at all. We didn't go to short dumps, or keeping a blocking end in, or chipping with the running backs. 

Our biggest pet peeve last year was a game plan that had no fluidity... I really hope we don't see that this year. 

I also don't like the last video where he said "failed to pull trigger" but didn't show us the downfield perspective. I could be missing it by not reading the article, but definitely need context on that. 

Last years OC looked to be a stubborn stubborn man, 

He forced one of the all time great shotgun pocket passes to run playaction in Denver (unless that was kubiak....)

then forced an incredibly mobile,  marginal pocket passer who threw outside the hashes best, into WCO (unless someone else was actually pulling the strings there too.) 

It may be impossible that Daboll is less dynamic than rico

20 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

2 seconds is not enough time for a Rookie qb to survey the field.  Replace Miller with Teller. Groy has to step up!

2 seconds isn’t enough for Brady, Brees or Rodgers. 

Anyone who who thinks Peterman will handle it is kidding themselves.