Bills are playing a little "Rope A Dope" with the AFC

It's hard to imagine that OP isn't sniffing glue, but can't imagine that all teams are going to run rough-shod over this team.

Some good coaches have preached "Don't get too high on great games, but don't eat cyanide when things look hopeless" (paraphrasing).

I'll meet all-ya-all somewhere in the midlands

Go BILLS!

2 minutes ago, Billsfanatixs said:

It's hard to imagine that OP isn't sniffing glue, but can't imagine that all teams are going to run rough-shod over this team.

Some good coaches have preached "Don't get too high on great games, but don't eat cyanide when things look hopeless" (paraphrasing).

I'll meet all-ya-all somewhere in the midlands

Go BILLS!

So 8-8 then?

Sounds good..

3 hours ago, realtruelove said:

Fellas, the difference between the haves and the have nots is narrow.  The difference between Rex Ryan and Sean McDermott...

That difference would be really WIDE  ;)

WRex would HAVE the all you can eat buffet everyday ;)

BTW you don't rope a dope with your future franchise QB in there.

At least we found out 3 things........ he is real  tough,not a fumbler and has a very hard head ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

It's one thing for us to take the game lightly band lose intentionally... It's a whole other for us to get our QBs killed. If we were trying to look bad and catch people off guard then we wouldn't be risking injury to our franchise QB.

However I do think we will be better than how we are playing. McDermott seems to get the most out of what he has. Just look at the run defense against Jets, Saints, and Chargers... We were horrendous but eventually Sean got them playing well enough for us to win. I could see same thing happening with OLine. Sean proved with our run defense last year that he can get his players to improve at areas of weakness 

The problem is that the way the Bills are playing now screams 0-16.

4 hours ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

I wish I could watch you go up to Kyle Williams and say exactly what you just typed directly to his face. It would be fantastic.

I personally would, gladly.  What’s he going to punch me or something for stating facts and pointing out the point differential was embarrassing last year? That they had no right being in over the Chargers who destroyed this team???

Or that they don’t get in if Dalton doesn’t perform a miracle??? How about their overall defensive and offensive rankings?  

Crazy thing is McD backs into the playoffs at 9-7 after an insane play by Dalton, and the snow game which easily could’ve gone either way, while Rex is routinely bashed as a terrible mistake despite finishing 1 game worse in his first of just two seasons while McD is regarded as some kind of wunderkind for literally finish one win better... I would bet good money that this team wins less than 7 games this year and after two years McDermotts W/L is worse than Rex’s.  

Dude is is terribly overrated, and likely the second coming of Dick Jauron in both his conservative approach to the game and “bend but don’t break” defense, but gets the benefit of the doubt because he won 9 games, technically ended the drought, and didn’t quit like Marrone... 

5 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

I personally would, gladly.  What’s he going to punch me or something for stating facts and pointing out the point differential was embarrassing last year? That they had no right being in over the Chargers who destroyed this team???

Or that they don’t get in if Dalton doesn’t perform a miracle??? How about their overall defensive and offensive rankings?  

Crazy thing is McD backs into the playoffs at 9-7 after an insane play by Dalton, and the snow game which easily could’ve gone either way, while Rex is routinely bashed as a terrible mistake despite finishing 1 game worse in his first of just two seasons while McD is regarded as some kind of wunderkind for literally finish one win better... I would bet good money that this team wins less than 7 games this year and after two years McDermotts W/L is worse than Rex’s.  

Dude is is terribly overrated, and likely the second coming of Dick Jauron in both his conservative approach to the game and “bend but don’t break” defense, but gets the benefit of the doubt because he won 9 games, technically ended the drought, and didn’t quit like Marrone... 

I've never been a Rex fan but I think you are spot on with your evaluation of the difference between Ryan and McDermott.  McDermott does some things very well, and I think he gets much more out of the talent he has than many coaches, but he's not in the same zip code with other new HCs who have truly engineered franchise turn arounds in 1 or 2 seasons in recent years.  Doug Peterson and John McVay immediately come to mind.   Anthony Lynn may be another one.

25 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

I've been around here long enough to know that if Dalton doesn't complete that pass there would have been threads calling for the firing of McD, Beane, the whole front office, and probably even one demanding that Pegula sell the team. That's not hyperbole. I think it will be very interesting to see how the coaching staff is perceived after this year.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I've never been a Rex fan but I think you are spot on with your evaluation of the difference between Ryan and McDermott.  McDermott does some things very well, and I think he gets much more out of the talent he has than many coaches, but he's not in the same zip code with other new HCs who have truly engineered franchise turn arounds in 1 or 2 seasons in recent years.  Doug Peterson and John McVay immediately come to mind.   Anthony Lynn may be another one.

Thanks, that was what I was trying to get at. I’m no Rex fan either, but this team was a middle of the road team with him, and will likely continue to be so under McDermott.  

I don’t hate McDermott, but many overrate him based on the fact that he happened to be the coach who “broke the streak”, despite only having one more win than Rex’s first season, and and the same record as Marrone in his last season.

Also, side note, if Rex and the Bills don’t get jobbed in MNF against Seattle, and they finish 8-8 for the second consecutive season, what happens last year? Does he still get axed? Is Whaley still gm despite his monumental whiff on Shaq Lawson? 

It’s not as if McDermott has done something no other Bills coach hasn’t in the last 17 years, he just happened to get the 9 wins under the right circumstances... He definitely gets a pass this year no matter what the W/L record due to OL retirements and roster turnover, especially at QB, but if he doesn’t right the ship by next year I hope he isn’t given special consideration for “ending the drought” when that had just as much to do with Andy Dalton and Tyler Boyd performing a miracle worthy of canonization, as it did himself.

edit- and OP is nuts, to even mention this squad and Super Bowl era teams in the same breath.  Those 90’s Super Bowl era teams would be dominating the NFL now, and certainly would’ve brought home a Lombardi in this era where you can’t play defense.   Some people don’t realize just how special that squad was, if you did you wouldn’t mention them in the same breath as this garbage they are putting out this season.   Find me one team right now that has as many possible Hall of Famers in their prime as those teams did.  

Its a shame they didn’t just bring one home bc the world will never truly appreciate just how special those teams really were.

Edited by ThunderGun
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, COTC said:

Keep dreaming. We backed into the playoffs last year out of complete luck. 

Stats were  down in almost every category. Last year was a fluke...

I'd like to say the bills earned it....and in some ways they did. But remember early on in the season when both Atlanta receivers went down? I think we would have lost that game making the Dalton miracle irrelevant.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

The problem is that the way the Bills are playing now screams 0-16.

The way we played those three games it looked like an 0-16 team as well. But we worked out the kinks and made it to the playoffs... I doubt we make it to the playoffs but I see about a 7 win season.

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

We did not back into the playoffs.

This.

There is no such thing as backing into the playoffs.  I and other have said it in other threads but imagine if the Bengals and Ravens game from Week 17 had been played earlier in the season and some other game was during Week 17 that had no barring on the Bills playoffs...then it is win and in for the Bills...which they did.  The pass from Dalton to Boyd, while improbable at the time, and an amazing way for the Bills to get into the playoffs (with the whole Bills team watching it unfold), was magical to see...BUT the Bills did not back in to the playoffs.

It seems the same people who can't even be happy about the Bills making the playoffs last year are the type of people who would win the lottery...and then say, "yeah, but I picked the numbers randomly and I backed in to winning the lottery...so this SUCKS!"

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Paulus said:

I think there is certainly a problem here with recency bias here. 

I still predict Super Bowl victory. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4906408

Recency analysis is not the same thing as recency bias.  Team has a new QB and 40% new starting lineman this season. These are recent changes which can be analyzed. Its not bias. 

8 hours ago, COTC said:

Keep dreaming. We backed into the playoffs last year out of complete luck. 

Stats were  down in almost every category. Last year was a fluke...

Umm no it wasn't. This team fought hard all season and earned that playoff berth.  Just because we needed help on the last day does not diminish the accomplishment.  If you couldn't even enjoy that after 17 years, what the hell are you doing calling yourself a Bills fan.  We have no idea how this season will unfold and already you're predicting doom and gloom.  I have a prediction of my own.  Regardless of what the record ends up being this year, this team will work hard and be entertaining to watch.  

11 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Recency analysis is not the same thing as recency bias.  Team has a new QB and 40% new starting lineman this season. These are recent changes which can be analyzed. Its not bias. 

They can't be analyzed yet.  There is no data to use in any realistic analysis.