8-27: Greg Cosell Talks Bills' QB & OL Performances vs. the Bengals

Good listen.  Thanks.

He pretty much nails it - with a Rookie QB you are going to see some good and some bad and lots of inconsistency.  The one thing in terms of development, the 64 Million question is can Allen learn more on the sidelines or in the fire?  I sort of look at it this way.  Peterman looked bad last year, he did not really get a whole lot of game experience, but this preseason has looked better.  Josh will likely do the same.  He is going to get better by watching and learning - at least for now.  We won't know "when" he's ready, it could be mid-season and depending on how the team is doing, that is going to maybe dictate that.  (e.g. if we're somehow in the playoff hunt, I don't think they make a change, but if we're way out of it, and they think Josh is ready to start, I suspect he'll be starting).  McDermott took a lot of (justifiable) heat for starting Peterman in San Diego last year, I don't think he'll do that again.

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

patience  is a word often not understood with some Bills fans 

we can also say 

"patience is a word well understood by all Buffalo sports fans" god knows I've been patient a long long  time

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

On the surface this analysis appears sound. But Allen himself (and likely the feedback from the coaches) felt the opposite saying he did not get the ball out quickly enough. Having undergone the torture of watching the game again, I am not sure there was a single instance where Allen could have waited. The Bengals' defensive line were all over him in a jiffy.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

On the surface this analysis appears sound. But Allen himself (and likely the feedback from the coaches) felt the opposite saying he did not get the ball out quickly enough. Having undergone the torture of watching the game again, I am not sure there was a single instance where Allen could have waited. The Bengals' defensive line were all over him in a jiffy.

:huh: Cosell mentioned the same. 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

even the guys high on Tyrod predicted 4 to 6 wins for 3 straight seasons 

optimism..  I always want 8 or more wins   preferably 10  or more

I don't know what you think a prediction is, but when I make a prediction about something, it's what I think/expect to happen based on some kind of evidence.  Y'know ... I get up in the morning when I'm planning an outdoor event and see storm clouds, so I think getting today's event in without getting wet may be very dicey.  When I check the Weather Channel and see 20% chance of rain, I can raise my expectations that maybe my event will be okay.  OTOH, if it's 100% chance of rain, I'm wishing I'd sprung to rent a tent.   It has nothing to do with what I want, and everything to do with the likelihood of something happening.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

we can also say 

"patience is a word well understood by all Buffalo sports fans" god knows I've been patient a long long  time

that works too.   

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't know what you think a prediction is, but when I make a prediction about something, it's what I think/expect to happen based on some kind of evidence.  Y'know ... I get up in the morning when I'm planning an outdoor event and see storm clouds, so I think getting today's event in without getting wet may be very dicey.  When I check the Weather Channel and see 20% chance of rain, I can raise my expectations that maybe my event will be okay.  OTOH, if it's 100% chance of rain, I'm wishing I'd sprung to rent a tent.   It has nothing to do with what I want, and everything to do with the likelihood of something happening.

We've had talent ergo I think they should do well.

Not my fault someone screws up my prediction 

:)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I just got done watching the Bill's offense DVR for the second time.

Allen overall was OK.  He definitely needs to work on his game.

The OL pass blocking play (including some bad TE and RB blocking) did him no favors.

The flags/drops really killed a lot of drives.

As to his self criticism, he's a rookie and he surely isn't going to dis' his O line.

My final opinion is he is performing overall better than I expected but I believe he is not yet ready for starting.

Watching Peterman's preseason has me "eating some crow".  He is looking very comfortable.

Before anyone gives all his weaknesses to me, I know them too.

I'm prepared to have him start in Baltimore and he deserves a chance to see if his strengths can overcome his weaknesses.

Let Allen wait a little longer while Peterman and the rest of the offense attempt to establish something resembling what Daboll wants to do.

• Like (+1) 2