Trent Murphy and Star Lotulelei

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You’re looking at pre June 1st cut numbers. Cut after June 1st isn’t nearly as bad.

yes, it is.

those are the numbers if you cut him after each season.

he has very little roster bonus, it is all dead cap if we cut him.

he will be the 8th highest paid defensive lineman next season.

please tell me how that's not a bad contract.

Murphy was a lowish risk high reward type signing. The contract is fairly easy to get out of with a 3.5 million dollar hit next season if they were to cut him. But Star could be a dumpster fire if he is a bust. Star can't be cut next season and the cap savings in 2020 are very minimal. I was actually big for signing Star but I thought the contract was awful way too much money committed to him. If Star's deal was easy to get out of after 2019 I wouldn't have minded. The team needed a big anchor up the middle and Star fit the bill but the salary commitment they made too him was too rich for my taste. Hopefully he shows up better in the regular season. 

9 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

yes, it is.

those are the numbers if you cut him after each season.

he has very little roster bonus, it is all dead cap if we cut him.

he will be the 8th highest paid defensive lineman next season.

please tell me how that's not a bad contract.

Did you even bother to look at his cap numbers if he was cut post June 1st? 

5CB8808D-8068-4A4A-8770-31221DA2764A.jpeg

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Hope it’s just pre season and these guys get in gear the next few weeks

i hear ya......i'm not too worried about star dialing it up, but if trent doesn't show up, i will be pissed. hopefully he's the secret weapon because someone nasty opposite hughes would be huge,

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Did you even bother to look at his cap numbers if he was cut post June 1st? 

5CB8808D-8068-4A4A-8770-31221DA2764A.jpeg

So if he is cut after june 1st of 2019 then he has what? 4.6 dead cap that y ear instead of 11.5?

was any of that paid to him also or is it a total of just 4.6 against the cap for 2019?

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

So if he is cut after june 1st of 2019 then he has what? 4.6 dead cap that y ear instead of 11.5?

was any of that paid to him also or is it a total of just 4.6 against the cap for 2019?

It would be a dead cap hit of 4.6 which I believe you can spread out over 2 years. It’s not a crippling contract and we will still have a lot of cap space. Still, he’s getting paid quite a bit given how much his production dropped the last few years.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

It would be a dead cap hit of 4.6 which I believe you can spread out over 2 years. It’s not a crippling contract and we will still have a lot of cap space. Still, he’s getting paid quite a bit given how much his production dropped the last few years.

Misunderstood it then, thanks.

Either way, if we keep him he's the #8 dline contract in the league per year.

That's probowl caliber pay for somebody who looks like he doesn't belong on the practice squad :(

10 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Looks like @Bangarang got you sorted.  But wanted to answer one question.  I do believe we have already paid him all this dead cap were talking about in the form of a signing bonus.  It would just be accelerated against the cap.  I would normally be concerned about the dead cap you were mentioning because you still have to replace the player, but as I mentioned I think were in a good spot next couple years.  Good discussion!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

Looks like @Bangarang got you sorted.  But wanted to answer one question.  I do believe we have already paid him all this dead cap were talking about in the form of a signing bonus.  It would just be accelerated against the cap.  I would normally be concerned about the dead cap you were mentioning because you still have to replace the player, but as I mentioned I think were in a good spot next couple years.  Good discussion!

Yeah, I think we did pay it, but the way the contract is structured the #s against the cap are spread out.

So either way the pegs are on the hook for the $$, it just depends on where it falls in the cap year to year.

I would love a breakdown of how heavier DTs do after they sign big money deals.  

And all the writing was on the wall for Murphy.  I guess PEDs is part of “the process.”

22 minutes ago, The Drought said:

Yet some seem to have a blind faith about it. 

Me to my girlfriend:  I will eventually stop cheating on you and treat you better. Just (blindly) trust the process.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

If he's a post June 1 cut in 2019 then his dead cap is $4.6M ($6.9M Savings) and his dead cap in 2020 is $7.8M ($2.3M Savings).