Trent Murphy and Star Lotulelei

Other than the obvious concern of Allen panning out over the next 2 years, I think these two players are what could really bring a lot of hate towards the new regime. If both of these guys don't contribute in a big way to the defense, it is going to bring the whole squad down in a hurry. Time will tell but if these two flame out, a lot of "what ifs" will surface about that $$ going to Oline and receivers instead.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

And if you'd given $$ to WRs and O linemen they'd get criticized for doing nothing on the D line.   Take the long view.

Yes, but I think it was much more important to help you star player that you took at #7 and focus on the defense next year.

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I think they can get out of both of these contracts pretty easily if im not mistaken

That's the key.  If they can get out of contract's and it didn't work out...buh-bye.  They need to stay out of the dead money hell from the previous regime's.

Edited by ricojes

Just now, BuffaloBaumer said:

Well that's a different story then...hopefully.

I thought I heard murphys was the easiest with us being able to save cap next year if needed and I think Stars we save 1 mil next year and more the year after if cut, I am sure someone will clarify though

1 minute ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Yes, but I think it was much more important to help you star player that you took at #7 and focus on the defense next year.

I see that.  I suspect they felt Groy steps in for Wood.  I don't know that anyone expected Richie to go off the rails like that.  But I agree they could have drafted another G in addition to Teller.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

You should always reach for players to theoretically help your 'star' player who isn't going to play this year barring injury...

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Other than the obvious concern of Allen panning out over the next 2 years, I think these two players are what could really bring a lot of hate towards the new regime. If both of these guys don't contribute in a big way to the defense, it is going to bring the whole squad down in a hurry. Time will tell but if these two flame out, a lot of "what ifs" will surface about that $$ going to Oline and receivers instead.

“Bring the whole squad down in a hurry” ... LOL 

Star is never going to be a stat king for this team, and I am fine with that.  He is there principaly to eat up space and free up LBs.  As long as he does that I am fine.

He is different from Ted "Theodore the Slender" Washington, because he ate up space and could make plays.

However, and again to be clear, they didn't sign him expecting him to be like that.

The starting defense looks terrible and the starting O-line looks worse than that.  In addition to seeing nothing positive so far out of Murphy or Star, Vonte Davis looks pretty bad too and no doubt much worse than EJ Gaines looked last year (when he was healthy enough to play).  It's only pre-season, so I am willing to give the front office the benefit of the doubt, but there are some things to be concerned about.  As other threads have pointed out, and anyone who has watched the last two games will attest to, the starting OL is probably cause for increased concern....

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

The starting defense looks terrible and the starting O-line looks worse than that.  In addition to seeing nothing positive so far out of Murphy or Star, Vonte Davis looks pretty bad too and no doubt much worse than EJ Gaines looked last year (when he was healthy enough to play).  It's only pre-season, so I am willing to give the front office the benefit of the doubt, but there are some things to be concerned about.  As other threads have pointed out, and anyone who has watched the last two games will attest to, the starting OL is probably cause for increased concern....

Unfortunately, this scares the crap out of me.  Considering how low the price tag got on EJ (4 million or so) I still would have signed him to hedge our bets at CB this year.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

Star is going to go down as way overpaid. However gonna take three years to really be able to move on from his contract. 

Trent Murphy on the other hand is really a year by year contract and easily can move on any year after this on for little dead money