What SHOULD the Bills have done last year to upgrade the OL

Mango

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

Glenn is totally fine per reports in Cincinatti. 2016 was a high ankle sprain he came back too soon from, that lingered all season. I forget the issue in 2017, but he just had surgery. I am also assuming we could have still gotten Allen without the Glenn trade at a different cost. 

Didn't see the Gaines injury. Good point. We were 8-3 in the regular season in games he started though. Something to account for. 

I personally love Gaines and am sad he cannot stay healthy

1 hour ago, Mango said:

We keep (justly) complaining that the FO totally underestimated how bad this OL would be this year. What are the moves we should have made in FA and the draft to solidify the unit? (outside of Wood and Richie)

My thoughts:

- Keep Glenn and kick Dawkins to RT

- Tyrell Crosby in the 4th instead of Taron Johnson. Can play G and T. 

- Re-signed Gaines

- Retained either Coleman or Johnson for slot CB. 

Our Secondary is better than current, and OL is upgraded.  Starting OL would look something like:

LT: Glenn

LG: Crosby/Teller/Ducasse/Miller

C Groy (I have faith yesterday wasn't his true form)

RG: Miller/Ducasse/Teller/Crosby

RT: Dawkins (His projected position)

Its even easier than all of that. 

They should have FIRED Juan Castillo 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Its even easier than all of that. 

They should have FIRED Juan Castillo 

I was just going to say the same thing. You are spot on. That should have been first. 

They could have, and in hindsight, should have taken another OL in the mid rounds instead of Johnson or Neal. Maybe Tyrell Crosby would have helped fill one of the spots? They should have signed Chris Hubbard or Austin Howard and kept Seantrel. Your OL would have been something like:

Dawkins - Teller/Ducasse/Miller/Mills - Groy - Crosby - Hubbard/Howard

bench: Seantrel as the swing OT, Bodine as the C and whoever wins out between Ducasse, Mills and Miller as a swing guy on the interior

Edited by Kirby Jackson

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was just going to say the same thing. You are spot on. That should have been first. 

They could have, and in hindsight, should have taken another OL in the mid rounds instead of Johnson or Neal. Maybe Tyrell Crosby would have helped fill one of the spots? They should have signed Chris Hubbard or Austin Howard and kept Seantrel. Your OL would have been something like:

Dawkins - Teller/Ducasse/Miller/Mills - Groy - Crosby - Hubbard/Howard

bench: Seantrel as the swing OT, Bodine as the C and whoever wins out between Ducasse, Mills and Miller as a swing guy on the interior

...plenty 'round here saying it's not Castillo's fault because he has nothing to work with.....don't the "good ones" develop and coach up the talent they have to work with?......or are we just blessed with "a boatload of abject, uncoachable failures"?....don't the "good ones" design a scheme that fits their PERSONNEL?....so if "zone blocking" is the alleged culprit, why force round pegs into square holes and why do McD/Daboll carry it over into 2018?..........I'm missing something big time here (as usual I guess).....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

31 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...plenty 'round here saying it's not Castillo's fault because he has nothing to work with.....don't the "good ones" develop and coach up the talent they have to work with?......or are we just blessed with "a boatload of abject, uncoachable failures"?....don't the "good ones" design a scheme that fits their PERSONNEL?....so if "zone blocking" is the alleged culprit, why force round pegs into square holes and why do McD/Daboll carry it over into 2018?..........I'm missing something big time here (as usual I guess).....

All I know is he had a bad reputation before he got here and his unit got worse. They were a little unlucky the way it shook out this offseason losing so many guys but still. I agree with you that something has to give and that’s the most natural starting point IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

All I know is he had a bad reputation before he got here and his unit got worse. They were a little unlucky the way it shook out this offseason losing so many guys but still. I agree with you that something has to give and that’s the most natural starting point IMO. 

.......there were posts citing his "long term success" in Philly, but if I remember correctly, he didn't do much with the Ravens....Eagles tenure was 1995 to 2012....Ravens OL Coach from 2014-2016.....he's been in the coaching ranks (college & NFL ) for 36 years...are we caught again in the "Dennison mindset" as in vast experience MUST make him a good one?....thoughts bud?.....

35 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I had thought this FO had a plan to upgrade the line and clearly, they did not. Someone (I'm thinking Castillio) must have told the HC, GM that he could make do with these particular players and yet he couldn't get it done with Incognito, Woods last year.

Last year the run game took a big hit in yards, TDs for most of the season until McCoy started doing his Barry Sanders impression and the yards picked up somewhat but the rushing TDs, YPC went south. 

2016 #1 in rushing yards, #1 in rushing TDs, #1 in yards per average carry. #2 in attempts vs 2017 #4 in rushing attempts, #6 in rushing yards, #15 in rushing TDs, #14 in yards per average carry. Huge dropoff in rushing TDs, yards per carry average with the same RB, basically the same line. Dawkins in for Glenn and there wasn't that big a dropoff at LT.  

While the OC got the blame for the QB dropoff as should the run game coordinator/line coach in Juan Castillio.

Without Woods in the middle and Incognito to help with the QBs blind side this year looks like a lost cause. 

2 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

Without trading Glenn, we don't have the equity to trade up for Josh Allen.

Trading Glenn was the right choice and I believe it was worth giving up Glenn to acquire Allen.

Or they could have not given up TWO 2nd round picks to get Allen.  Could have given up 1 to get to 10, draft Josh Rosen.  Then take Brian O’Neill out of Pitt at 56 for example.  Rounds 1-3 of Rosen, Edmunds, O’Neill and Harrison sounds better to me then Allen, Edmunds and Harrison especially after trading Glenn. IMHO.

Edited by Billsflyer12

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Eric Wood came very shortly after the playoffs, so it wasn't like it smacked us totally in the face, there was plenty of time to redirect the offseason in regards to the C position. Richie was about 3 weeks before the draft, so I will give it "some" credence, but it isn't like we went all the way through the off season and suddenly lost or LG. 

Up until yesterday we seemed to think we were fine if Groy was in there. Bodine was a joke, but hopefully they knew that was just a plug that could burst at any moment

54 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is it possible McBeanes want Daboll to pick a guy ?

Imagine young Head Coaches are not able to acquire their Coaching dream team right away ?

McDermott did not draft a QB when he likely should have. 
Once he got Beane on board with his scouts they obviously focused on QB drafting. and perhaps Brian had some say ??

I bet they wanted Daboll before he came free.  Now they have him, and if he is the future state ? He should evaluate and then court the next O line Coach. and set up scouting players

Next year.

Trust the Process.

20 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I hope Edmunds comes around, but I wonder if those picks should have been used for OL.

I was in the Billy Price camp. Both Edmunds and Price potentially could have stellar careers. This may have meant more Preston Brown as well. I do think and hope the OL will be addressed next year. Hopefully not in a Dockerty and Walker type of way.