Do you keep Coleman just because of the $3.5 Million cap hit

Forgive me for naming he who shall not be named.  Ok, it rhymes with "Dike Sodak".  He was on NFL radio and one of the things he was talking about was how it isn't working out with Coleman and how he could just be cut, because the draft pick isn't that high and the Bills would have to deal with the guaranteed money.

That is about $3.5 million, and literally a $3.5 million cap hit.

I really don't think he has showed a lot, but part of the argument is there someone about to get cut who has shown a lot more, and would be worth replacing even given the $3.5 hit on dropping Corey?

As of right now I am still fine with:

Benjamin

Jones

Kerley

Streater

Holmes

Coleman

However, I really don't want Ray Ray to be exposed.

For me (not necessarily for you guys) I debate on whether Coleman stays in lieu of McCloud or Holmes.

What do you guys think?

I haven't seen any reports from practice about him doing well or bad.   I think we're thin at WR behind Zay and KB.   I'd probably keep him even with the hit, that is unless we could use that money to land a guard.   Then yes, but the guard has to be an immediate upgrade over what we have.   So i don't see that happening.  

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe give him a chance to learn the playbook first and see how it goes??? I doubt he'll amount to much, but at least give him a chance.

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I haven't seen any reports from practice about him doing well or bad.   I think we're thin at WR behind Zay and KB.   I'd probably keep him even with the hit, that is unless we could use that money to land a guard.   Then yes, but the guard has to be an immediate upgrade over what we have.   So i don't see that happening.  

We're thin BEHIND Zay Jones? What? Did ZJ suddenly become a capable receiver and no one has noticed?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Forgive me for naming he who shall not be named.  Ok, it rhymes with "Dike Sodak".  He was on NFL radio and one of the things he was talking about was how it isn't working out with Coleman and how he could just be cut, because the draft pick isn't that high and the Bills would have to deal with the guaranteed money.

That is about $3.5 million, and literally a $3.5 million cap hit.

I really don't think he has showed a lot, but part of the argument is there someone about to get cut who has shown a lot more, and would be worth replacing even given the $3.5 hit on dropping Corey?

As of right now I am still fine with:

Benjamin

Jones

Kerley

Streater

Holmes

Coleman

However, I really don't want Ray Ray to be exposed.

For me (not necessarily for you guys) I debate on whether Coleman stays in lieu of McCloud or Holmes.

What do you guys think?

I'd keep him - there's the potential to be an NFL starter.  Holmes and Streater are both 30 and neither has shown much.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Maybe give him a chance to learn the playbook first and see how it goes??? I doubt he'll amount to much, but at least give him a chance.

We're thin BEHIND Zay Jones? What? Did ZJ suddenly become a capable receiver and no one has noticed?

LOL you got me there, but as a 2nd round pick in his 2nd year, I don't think they are cutting Jones any time soon so I think he and KB are safe.   Kerley too probably.  McDermott will go with vets over young guys just about every time. 

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Still trying to figure out what Holmes really actually gives us.....we cant find a bottom of the roster guy to be the ST's gunner?

This is what I dont get, Holmes is considered a lock by most... which I do not understand. Yes he had like 4 TD's in the first 3 games last season. If I remember correctly, one TD was a ball that bounced right too him after hitting I think Zay Jones right in the chest and Holmes happened to be in the right spot. Two other TD's came from broken Tyrod extended plays I thought. The guy does not seem to be able to get separation on actual routes.

The "well he is a great gunner" I feel like is over blown, he isnt exactly making huge stops on punt coverage.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

LOL you got me there, but as a 2nd round pick in his 2nd year, I don't think they are cutting Jones any time soon so I think he and KB are safe.   Kerley too probably.  McDermott will go with vets over young guys just about every time. 

Coleman is a top 20 pick coming into his 3rd year, and has had to learn a whole new playbook.

Im not saying he is a lock, but if they are going to keep guys based on potential and where they were drafted, then Coleman should probably stay and be given a chance to develop.  He was also injury plagued the first two years, Zay just dropped everything last year, even likely costing the team a W against Carolina.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes.   He may not have reached his potential, but he has started games in the league.   I wouldn't give his roster spot to a 5'9 6th round draft pick who ran a 4.53 40' and averaged under 10 yards a catch in college.   They may end up keeping Ray Ray, I would be surprised, but they may.

I've never understood the love for Ray Ray here, could be all the PR material on him at the start of training camp, but I don't think he has had a good enough camp to unseat a guy they traded for because of the lack of WR depth on a team Ray Ray was already on.  Again, I may be completely wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ThunderGun said:

Coleman is a top 20 pick coming into his 3rd year, and has had to learn a whole new playbook.

Im not saying he is a lock, but if they are going to keep guys based on potential and where they were drafted, then Coleman should probably stay and be given a chance to develop.  He was also injury plagued the first two years, Zay just dropped everything last year, even likely costing the team a W against Carolina.

LIke I said in my first post, if they could take that 3.5 mil and get us an upgrade at either guard spot, i'd be all for cutting Coleman, as I don't see that happening, i think Coleman will be on the roster this year.   

I'd keep Coleman because he provides something no other receiver on our roster has: legitimate deep speed.

If the other receivers kept are Benjamin, Jones, Holmes, and Kerley...well...you need speed SOMEWHERE in there. That's where Coleman comes in.

• Like (+1) 3

If he can become even semi competent with the playbook he offers the offense speed that no other guy on the the am can match. The speed element alone is enough for me to want to keep him. Add into that he did flash some real ability in Cleveland when healthy with the likes,of Kessler, Kiser, Manziel and other trash QBs tossing him the ball.

I'm sure Coleman was brought in to stretch the field. It's kinda hard to throw deep when your QB is sacked after 2 seconds. Right now they're just throwing short routes to Coleman and that's not why they acquired him. Too early...

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

LIke I said in my first post, if they could take that 3.5 mil and get us an upgrade at either guard spot, i'd be all for cutting Coleman, as I don't see that happening, i think Coleman will be on the roster this year.   

I think some people may be confused about Coleman and his contract.

Coleman has a cap hit of 1.5 million this year.

If the Bills cut him he carries 3.5 million Dead Cap hit.

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'd keep Coleman because he provides something no other receiver on our roster has: legitimate deep speed.

If the other receivers kept are Benjamin, Jones, Holmes, and Kerley...well...you need speed SOMEWHERE in there. That's where Coleman comes in.

Have you seen any evidence of that speed? I know what his reported times are but with your own eyes have you seen it? I haven't. No separation, no little extra kick. Nothing. I think the Browns figured that out too.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I think some people may be confused about Coleman and his contract.

Coleman has a cap hit of 1.5 million this year.

If the Bills cut him he carries 3.5 million Dead Cap hit.

Well count me confused I thought we saved the 3.5.  for 1.5 we might as well keep him he's worth that in just the potential as a deep threat.   I'm more worried about our oline than our wrs at this point anyway.  

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

Well count me confused I thought we saved the 3.5.  for 1.5 we might as well keep him he's worth that in just the potential as a deep threat.   I'm more worried about our oline than our wrs at this point anyway.  

Yep

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I'd keep him - there's the potential to be an NFL starter.  Holmes and Streater are both 30 and neither has shown much.  

Damn, dneveu, I always, always forget how old Streater is.  Thirty minutes after posting this message I am going to go back to thinking that he is 26.

It's literally every time his age comes up it is a surprise to me.