One (maybe two) bright spots from Sunday

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If Marcus Murphy didn't earn a roster spot with his performance yesterday I don't know what would. And Jason Croom played well too. Certainly had a better game than Charles Clay.

No reason why Murphy couldn't jump right in and become the new Shady, IMO.  He's a great example of finding RB talent on the cheap and out of nowhere, and why I would never, ever, sink big money into a big name rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like to see them keep 4 TEs: Clay, O'Leary, Thomas, and Croom.  I think this group would create a very dangerous middle of the field passing attack. I'm sure they'd like to keep a blocking TE like Lee, so if that's the case, maybe it's time to move on from the grandson...

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Schmidt punted poorly, the oline did their Charger game impersonation, zero pass rush led to wide open crossing routes. I do love Murphy and Croom and can't see them 3rd string very long. Temper your expectations all, it's a rebuilding year.

....LOL.....games like this (even pre-season, good Lord) bring out the bi-polar tendencies don't they?.....wonder how many of the "4-12 , 5-11 or 6-10 Gang" are yipping about yesterday?......fire him.....fire him too....cut him or cut them.......if yesterday was a regular season game, it would have fit well within those prognostications...so which is it?....

5 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

WE DIDN’T EVEN PUNT WELL!

I was surprised to see in the box score that  Schmidt actually averaged over 40 yards.  It seemed on every punt that the returner was running up at least 10 yards.  Then Ryan only had one punt in the 2nd half so tough to gauge whether he was any better. 

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I think it's possible they keep Croom, Lee and O'Leary and cut Clay.

I was saying this in the game thread, and I had multiple people tell me I was an idiot for this lol.

But I 100% agree. When Clay got injured last year, O'Leary had half the targets as clay, but have the yards, and the same amount of TD's... This isnt even a "O LEARY NEPHEW OF GOLFING GREAT IS THE BEST TE EVER." Its simply the fact O'leary is 3rd-4th TE right now on depth chart, but can put up the same numbers as Clay, for a fraction of the cost (and a fraction of the injury concern each year)... Its not like people want Clay for his blocking either. 

Also can anyone tell me why Logan Thomas is assumed safe by many posters? After several years I have seen nothing from him besides he is very tall, and is below average every where else in his game

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If Marcus Murphy didn't earn a roster spot with his performance yesterday I don't know what would. And Jason Croom played well too. Certainly had a better game than Charles Clay.

I agree with that.  Murphy runs hard and certainly is a bright spot.

5 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

WE DIDN’T EVEN PUNT WELL!

I had forgotten that feature already do to the smorgasboard of awful.

It was Colton Schmidt kicking. I was surprised when i heard the announcer say it.

Situational football 101. 362
Shanked and flubbed kick coverage from the kicking team. Shouldn't they work these things in practice  instead of preseason game time ??? Yikes.

Murphy ?           Heck Yes. and this adds a nice demention to the running game as all 3 bring something different.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I expect that should improve as we get lots, and lots (and LOTS) of practice. 

Well. Practice does make perfect they used to say. Back in the real old days.

Too much practice causes chaffing though.

fine line i suppose

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

How about the fact that nobody got injured?

That's arguably the most important thing in pre-season.

Usually you have to put forth some type of effort and resistance to get injured. That would explain the O lines performance.

8 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what would be his value?......

Seantrel Henderson

8 hours ago, Mango said:

I thought Milano had a nice game for us yesterday. If there is any bright spots on the defensive side of the ball, I thought he was it. 

We must've been watching a different game, because I kept seeing him getting beat in coverage. 

And for those of you saying that Clay might get cut, you need to brush up on his contract, and then realize why that will not happen this year. 

Edited by Domdab99