5 biggest positional concerns for the starting 22

Mango

7 hours ago, Mango said:

The more I spend time with it, the more I agree, CB 2 should be 5 on the list. Maybe higher, and swap with one of the interior OL positions. 

This isn’t to bash Allen, but that first throw to Clay that bounced off his hands, Clay has to catch that for sure. But as much as Allen’s velocity allows him to squeeze throws into windows, making it hard for DB’s, those types of fastballs are tough for receivers to catch. He’s gotta learn to take a little off some of those throws. 

It's hard to gauge priority with positional need, but only reason I'd give slight preference to the OL here would be the physical number of holes needed to fill, versus a single DB spot that we may have young talent for on the roster. Either way, this year it'll hurt.

And I've been thinking about Allen's velocity of throws and I think this is where his finesse needs to be developed. Every receiver knows the coach's adage "if a ball hit them in the hands that it should have been caught." I tend to agree with this about 98% of the time.Objectively speaking though, crazy arm strength is nothing without control and accuracy - we've seen that play out numerous times across the league. One of the foundations of Allen's style of play is his velocity, allowing him to make those window throws to receivers and extend drives, or even score, on plays that would typically send them off the field. With our current WR corps having perennial difficulty getting open and running routes, window throws are about all our QBs see on a constant basis since TT took over. All in all, though, I agree. Hopefully he develops this finesse with time, as it is yet another trait that separates the upper echelon of QBs in the league.

Edited by ctk232