5 biggest positional concerns for the starting 22

Mango

Somebody mentioned this in another thread, thought it was a good topic to discuss. The sad part is we are about to start a 5th round draft pick (who threw 5 picks in a single half) at QB and that position isn't even on my radar currently. Special shout out to WR1, CB2, CB3, OLB, and DT/DE (pass rush). All of which I put ahead of QB as of right now. 

I probably go: 
LG

C

RG

RT

MLB

We wanted to see Allen under pressure, and Cinci to throw the kitchen sink at him to see how he handled it. I thought he did quite well. 

Rather it’s Allen or peterman I’d love to see some more screen passes on days like yesterday to maybe negate that constant pressure. I’m not as worried as most. 

I think we don’t have or need a wr1 as I expect the ball to be spread around.

i think Peterman if he starts and his short game makes the O line look much better along with shady in the backfield. 

My biggest concern is pass rush. Haven’t seen anyone really do much of anything there. 

I think the offense is gonna be ok regardless of what quarterback starts. I expect the run game to be impressive some weeks. 

But we need a pass rush, our secondary is gonna get torched if we can’t get some form of consistent pressure. Of course 49 is gonna have good and bad weeks and that should mostly dictate how we handle the run defense. 

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

We wanted to see Allen under pressure, and Cinci to throw the kitchen sink at him to see how he handled it. I thought he did quite well. 

Rather it’s Allen or peterman I’d love to see some more screen passes on days like yesterday to maybe negate that constant pressure. I’m not as worried as most. 

I think we don’t have or need a wr1 as I expect the ball to be spread around.

i think Peterman if he starts and his short game makes the O line look much better along with shady in the backfield. 

My biggest concern is pass rush. Haven’t seen anyone really do much of anything there. 

I think the offense is gonna be ok regardless of what quarterback starts. I expect the run game to be impressive some weeks. 

But we need a pass rush, our secondary is gonna get torched if we can’t get some form of consistent pressure. Of course 49 is gonna have good and bad weeks and that should mostly dictate how we handle the run defense. 

Wait, what?

Are you saying yesterday was planned, and not only planned, but with a good result? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Not MLB.  Edmunds looked pretty good yesterday.  But the middle of the line was just horrible yesterday.  I honestly don't understand what went on with Groy - he did fine a couple years ago filling in for Wood.  But he looked lost yesterday.  And for a guy the size of Ducasse to get physically manhandled like he did is a complete mystery. 

I'm hoping yesterday was just a bad day for Groy, and that they start Teller.  He might get confused in terms of blocking schemes, but he won't just get physically overwhelmed like Ducasse was.   RG then would still be an issue, and I can see they keeping Boetteger or getting a guy after final cut downs.  At some point you also have to hope that pride takes over.  When the interior linemen watch the film they have to be completely embarrassed at their play.  So my top 5:

All three interior line spots

CB (Davis was bad yesterday)

DE (no one can pass rush)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Wait, what?

Are you saying yesterday was planned, and not only planned, but with a good result? 

Lol no not planned at all by our coaching.

i meant everyone on this board wanted Allen to face a starting defense that would blitz and throw him different looks etc etc. 

They didn’t need to blitz though since they only needed 4 to murder him every play. 

And handled well I meant he did a good job getting his ass kicked and not losing his composure. 

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Wait, what?

I don’t think it was planned. I do think they wanted to see Allen throwing intermediate to deep routes. Dabolls play calling when Allen was in there reflected this. The OL didn’t hold up as well as they’d hoped. They weren’t going to try to negate this rush by showing anything they have planned for the regular season. Aside from changing line combos, that is. I’d agree with your list of concerns by position, though. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

LG

RG

C

CB #2

QB # 4, 5, 6, 7 ... Judging by our line play we may start that many QB's this year

The interior of the starting offensive line was pitiful yesterday ... In a perfect world none of those 3 would ever see playing time ... Yet they're our starters ... God have mercy on our QB's, they'll need it with that group attempting to protect him.

Both CB's got toasted for TD's yesterday ... We know that White can play but Davis looked woefully inept yesterday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t think it was planned. I do think they wanted to see Allen throwing intermediate to deep routes. Dabolls play calling when Allen was in there reflected this. The OL didn’t hold up as well as they’d hoped. They weren’t going to try to negate this rush by showing anything they have planned for the regular season. Aside from changing line combos, that is. I’d agree with your list of concerns by position, though. 

How could the Bills coaching staff have "hoped" that the OL would be better for Allen than it was for McCarron against Cleveland?  Both Allen and McCarron got mugged by pretty good but hardly great pass rushes.  I can understand fans blaming McCarron for his dismal performance against the Browns, but the coaching staff?   That seems quite unbelievable unless they thought the offense played flat against Cleveland.  Of course, it looked like the entire team came out flat and stayed that way for the entire game against Cinci, which is not a good omen.

22 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Agree with Mango, too - easily the largest concern right now is our lines. We have pieces, but no where near a full line on either side of the ball and it is going to show this year. Solid to great lines make the rest of the offense and defense look better, as they allow them the time needed to do their jobs.

Was yesterday a mixed bag of the rookie holding on to the ball too long occasionally, and lack of responsive play calling from the OC because its the preseason and that's not how games will be called? Sure. But the OL did little except provide Murphy with some sizeable alleys to run. It's not much better on the other side of the ball at the moment with Kyle out. HP will is promising, but you saw what can happen to our secondary when no one gets to the QB. 

Lastly, the dark horse positions of concern? DBs... I love Tre, and he's demonstrated qualities and skills to be a top corner in the league. He's much further than most sophomore DBs, but he's still young and makes mistakes. More concerning though is our DB 2 specifically, bless his heart. He was a great talent, but it's going to be difficult to ask him to perform 5 years younger in man coverage against speedy flankers. I'd rather use him in our zone coverage schemes, but honestly, I feel like this is a big hole that teams will exploit if we don't personnel around him properly.

One upside? Can we start Croom at TE already, or at least two-set him in a lot? I think we really have something there. Especially in the red zone with KB on the other side - i'd take both in a jump ball. Should also add I hope Teller pans out at Guard, that would be a huge help to an otherwise turnstile of a line.

Edited by ctk232

2 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Agree with Mango, too - easily the largest concern right now is our lines. We have pieces, but no where near a full line on either side of the ball and it is going to show this year. Solid to great lines make the rest of the offense and defense look better, as they allow them the time needed to do their jobs.

Was yesterday a mixed bag of the rookie holding on to the ball too long occasionally, and lack of responsive play calling from the OC because its the preseason and that's not how games will be called? Sure. But the OL did little except provide Murphy with some sizeable alleys to run. It's not much better on the other side of the ball at the moment with Kyle out. HP will is promising, but you saw what can happen to our secondary when no one gets to the QB. 

Lastly, the dark horse positions of concern? DBs... I love Tre, and he's demonstrated qualities and skills to be a top corner in the league. He's much further than most sophomore DBs, but he's still young and makes mistakes. More concerning though is our DB 2 specifically, bless his heart. He was a great talent, but it's going to be difficult to ask him to perform 5 years younger in man coverage against speedy flankers. I'd rather use him in our zone coverage schemes, but honestly, I feel like this is a big hole that teams will exploit if we don't personnel around him properly.

One upside? Can we start Croom at TE already, or at least two-set him in a lot? I think we really have something there. Especially in the red zone with KB on the other side - i'd take both in a jump ball.

The more I spend time with it, the more I agree, CB 2 should be 5 on the list. Maybe higher, and swap with one of the interior OL positions. 

This isn’t to bash Allen, but that first throw to Clay that bounced off his hands, Clay has to catch that for sure. But as much as Allen’s velocity allows him to squeeze throws into windows, making it hard for DB’s, those types of fastballs are tough for receivers to catch. He’s gotta learn to take a little off some of those throws. 

6 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

LG

RG

C

CB #2

QB # 4, 5, 6, 7 ... Judging by our line play we may start that many QB's this year

The interior of the starting offensive line was pitiful yesterday ... In a perfect world none of those 3 would ever see playing time ... Yet they're our starters ... God have mercy on our QB's, they'll need it with that group attempting to protect him.

Both CB's got toasted for TD's yesterday ... We know that White can play but Davis looked woefully inept yesterday.

Can we have 7 offensive linemen?

Maybe like a second set of guards behind the front line, that might give Allen more than 0.2 seconds to throw.

That was some of the worst line play I've ever seen.

I hope our QBs all have good life insurance policies.

I mean I said it before we should be starting np/aj for the first handful of games just because the line sucks so bad.

I'm not even sure those two will make it through the first half of the season without a serious injury.

The Vikings and chargers dlines are going to slaughter them.

Like R rated slaughter.

Like Friday the 13th Jason Voorhees slaughter.

Texas chainsaw massacre stuff.

I wouldn't bring a child to the game, for fear of them seeing an actual death on the field.

It's going to look like when they feed the gladiators to the lion pit.

I bet the QBs are drawing straws.

AJ and NP are probably in the locker room like:

Aj "No bro I don't want to start, it's all yours, you earned it"

Np "Oh no way dude, you've been so much better!!"

AJ "No way man, you've been so good!"

Np "Yeah but you looked so good starting back in 15 man, you should get the nod, you're the veteran!"

Aj "Dude you're young and look great it's all yours!!"

Also

Davis looking "woefully inept" would be an improvement.

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, SoTier said:

How could the Bills coaching staff have "hoped" that the OL would be better for Allen than it was for McCarron against Cleveland?  Both Allen and McCarron got mugged by pretty good but hardly great pass rushes.  I can understand fans blaming McCarron for his dismal performance against the Browns, but the coaching staff?   That seems quite unbelievable unless they thought the offense played flat against Cleveland.  Of course, it looked like the entire team came out flat and stayed that way for the entire game against Cinci, which is not a good omen.

Of course they hoped ( more likely expected ) that the line play would be improved.  I’m certain they didn’t head in to the 3rd preseason game expecting the OL would get blown up. They had a whole week of practice to work on things. It’s probably a hard dose of reality for them right now that the OL problems were worse than they thought. Coaching staffs don’t sit idly by all week and expect to suck in the next outing. They work on the issues. In this evaluation based time of year, that means trying different line combos as well. I’m not following the logic of expecting a poor performance to follow up a previous one. That’s just not how NFL coaches think. 

58 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I was thinking that maybe they should start 7 linemen, 2 TE's, a FB and McCoy. ... Just direct snap it to Shady every play and spare our QB's.

Hopefully when the real season starts it won't be as fugly as that amateurish display yesterday.

Well.

We have the Vikings and chargers.

I think we should make McD and beane take some reps behind that oline, see how they like getting their teeth kicked down their throats.

Maybe they'll make some moves then ??

LG, C, RG, DE, TE1

Honorable mention: CB2, LB

We have our qb of the future, but he will need more time. Peterman is more than serviceable as long as you minimize outs. I think Shady & Murphy will make a very good tandem. Don't expect the wrs ro get a lot of fly routes with this oline. This was a rebuilding year all along and those that thought otherwise are delusional. Next year is when we'll shine with draft picks and a huge cap. Spend that money wisely!

5 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Well.

We have the Vikings and chargers.

I think we should make McD and beane take some reps behind that oline, see how they like getting their teeth kicked down their throats.

Maybe they'll make some moves then ??

By the time they might realize that, they'd likely be in concussion protocol and wouldn't remember why they're there to begin with.

• Haha (+1) 1