Block in the back still an issue

ALLEN1QB

What is the problem with the return block in the back penalties? This has been going on for years with Buffalo. We would be better off just nealing after the catch. Would love to see the stats we have to be leading the league

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They should eliminate this penalty altogether.  It does not increase the safety of or prevent any injuries to players.

sure it does, you can't run down the field at full speed and with your 100% goal to clock someone with his back turned toward you

it's evil enough allowing the visual side hit on people totally outmatched on a football field, like the QB on an INT or the kid in a high school game who is only out there to hold his arm up for kickoff formation...  :D

geez we hammered some kids who didn't belong out there... 

1 hour ago, PIP said:

What is the problem with the return block in the back penalties? This has been going on for years with Buffalo. We would be better off just nealing after the catch. Would love to see the stats we have to be leading the league

Kneeling

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Hopefully just guys who won’t make the final 53 no cutting it on ST’s. I don’t know where the Bills stood relative to the rest of the league with these types of penalties last season. 

irrespective of NFL teams stats, I feel the BIlls have taken a lot of needless penalties the last decade due to immaturity or stupidity or failure to play the game properly

i have hope this coaching staff can address this better than recent ones.

15 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

More often then not there's a penalty on a kickoff in every game not only the Bills

the worst recently was the recovered fumble on the opening kickoff, turns out someone was 4 feet offside for the Bills....

---------------------------

tuned in last night for three seconds and saw a call for a blind side hit on the return

the victim was at worst 1/3 of his body in full view, and he reacted to the hit two strides before it happen

and of course Collinsworth screamed this was the right call and the refs are always right and you can't do this in the NFL....

2 hours ago, PIP said:

I just want to know how a player who has likely played for 15 years or more still commits a penalty that is a penalty at EVERY level of competition.

At what point does a guy say to himself "Hey...maybe I shouldn't do this because its obvious to call and its a penalty"??

1 minute ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Block in the back penalties is a league wide issue, not just the Bills. And it looked like the refs blew one against the Bills yesterday.

But yes, they're too frequent.

They are called on just about every decent return, i don't even cheer on punt returns anymore i just look for flags.    Honestly just fair catch the thing and at least we shouldn't lose yardage. 

When we worked on blocking in peewee football we would have the kids run out and hit the blocking shield a coach was holding, sometimes the coach would turn their back and that helped teach the kids not to hit in the back.   Maybe they need to treat these pros like pee wee players because it happens league wide on just about every single punt. 

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

sure it does, you can't run down the field at full speed and with your 100% goal to clock someone with his back turned toward you

it's evil enough allowing the visual side hit on people totally outmatched on a football field, like the QB on an INT or the kid in a high school game who is only out there to hold his arm up for kickoff formation...  :D

geez we hammered some kids who didn't belong out there... 

Yeah but in the NFL, QBs get hit all the time.  And when was the last time anyone was really hurt bad with a "block in the back"?  Look at those calls yesterday--or any game.  They are more like "soft push from behind".

The old adage is “ if you can see the numbers on the back of his jersey don’t block him”. This has been an ongoing issue for decades, it seems . Not just with the Bills, either. I’d have to see some data to know if it’s committed more frequently now, or if it’s been consistent over time. 

4 hours ago, PIP said:

Happens to every team every week usually.. 

The 2nd half of preseason games are usually over-penalized messes. And I dont mean over-penalized by the officials, but rather, you have bubble players trying to do too much to earn a roster spot and making big mistakes.

This is not only on the Bills or this season. It's like this across the board every preseason. Games just get unwatchable from penalties once the scrubs come in. Not a big deal.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah but in the NFL, QBs get hit all the time.  And when was the last time anyone was really hurt bad with a "block in the back"?  Look at those calls yesterday--or any game.  They are more like "soft push from behind".

They don’t hit hard blindside often in the NFL, payback comes swiftly and everyone wants their pension 

46 minutes ago, row_33 said:

They don’t hit hard blindside often in the NFL, payback comes swiftly and everyone wants their pension 

So, again, what's the point of this penalty?  You're making my point  No one unloads on a "block in the back.  It's a shove--at most.  Often it's barely a touch.

Pushing a guy to the ground is among the least significant impacts these guys face--especially on returns.

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So, again, what's the point of this penalty?  You're making my point  No one unloads on a "block in the back.  It's a shove--at most.  Often it's barely a touch.

Pushing a guy to the ground is among the least significant impacts these guys face--especially on returns.

Because you are then saying it’s fine to hit someone blind-sided 

Ask your teacher after recess if you still don't get it

they don’t commit it because they call it every time and it sucks every time against your team and so pointless....  anyone can grasp that but you?

Edited by row_33