Do you want Josh Allen to start week 1? (After pre-season wk 3 performance)

Rigotz

Do you want Josh Allen to start week 1? (After pre-season wk 3 performance)  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Josh Allen to start week 1? (After pre-season wk 3 performance)

32 minutes ago, bdutton said:

As someone had posted earlier, Peterman has posted top 10 stats in every category this preseason including a good start against Carolina and stepping in when Allen was forced out.  Also has a much faster release than Allen and thats why there were less sacks when he was in.  You absolutely need that faster release with this OL.  

Until they fix the OL, Allen should watch, learn and work on his anticipation and release.

At this point, with that OL, Peterman gives us the best chance to win now.

The only way that Allen can work on his anticipation and release is by practicing and  playing with the starters.

Soon as the season starts, Allen's learning time greatly decreases.  There is very little focus on learning and fundamentals during the season.  The entire team will be focused on preparing for the next opponent. 

The best way for Allen to learn is to play.

9 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I voted start Josh Allen. Everyone’s saying we’re going to lose the first four. Start the rookie. Somehow believing Peterman is going to turn into Brady is sad Buffalo thinking. I’d rather lose with Allen. He will get a whole season under his belt and we will be more prepared for next season. Stop settling bills fans. 

No one, and I mean no one, here except for you has equated Brady and Peterman.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Nope.

Yesterday showed he's still a project who has a lot to learn. 

I voted no and frankly it has nothing to do with the fact that he has a lot to learn.....

Im fine with him learning it under center......but not getting dumped on his head in 1.5 seconds on every play.......

Let Peterman take the lumps while this OL gets its act together.....Allen's time will come

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I disagree because Peterman's game -- quick-release and tempo/rhythm -- is the best antidote to a truly atrocious line. He really should be starting in the first game. Allen's game -- and why the Bills drafted him so high -- relies on longer-developing plays, and is the sort that will get him killed early and often behind the current set of turnstiles. Also, do not underestimate the impact of the fans turning on him assuming he really struggles. You know fans: when he struggles (and he assuredly will with this line and this group of bad receivers), many will turn on him, and they'll be very loud. That's as predictable as the rooster crowing at dawn. Bills fans are like that too.  It'll create a bad scene for the long term, with the coaches always defending him to the press, and the national media (which predicted he'd fail) circling like vultures. It won't be good for his career. 

Last week it was petermans ball is slow and this week he has a quick release. We do this every. Single. Year. Back and forth. Calling for the back up then calling for the third stringer then wanting the starter back in. Just put the rookie out there. Josh had to develop short routes anyways.  We’re delaying the inevitable. 

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No one, and I mean no one, here except for you has equated Brady and Peterman.

Let me back off that then. People think he’s going to win us a significant number of games. Always holding hope that we somehow have a different qb. It’s nathan Peterman. We’re the laughing stock of the nfl. 

2 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Last week it was petermans ball is slow and this week he has a quick release. We do this every. Single. Year. Back and forth. Calling for the back up then calling for the third stringer then wanting the starter back in. Just put the rookie out there. Josh had to develop short routes anyways.  We’re delaying the inevitable. 

Let me back off that then. People think he’s going to win us a significant number of games. Always holding hope that we somehow have a different qb. It’s nathan Peterman. We’re the laughing stock of the nfl. 

Peterman gives us a better chance than Allen, given the state of the O line.  Allen is the future and will be the guy for years to come. 

Spare me the laughing stock stuff.  Last year at this time it was all doom and gloom and we made the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Peterman has the quicker release which means the ball is out of his hands before he gets his ass handed to him.

Peterman's ball speed is what is being called slow.

These are two totally different points of fact.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bdutton said:

Peterman has the quicker release which means the ball is out of his hands before he gets his ass handed to him.

Perhaps this hot potato style of play is why he threw 5 picks vs. SD last year.  The protection is going to be the same.

14 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Delaying the inevitable is not a bad approach, and many good organizations subscribe to it. And Peterman undeniably gets rid of the ball a LOT faster than Allen. 

Edited by dave mcbride

IMO, here is what should happen:

- fire Castillo

- Start Teller at LG

- Feature a run-heavy game. Use Murphy a lot

- tell the WRs to fight for every ball

- Start Peterman and give him a very conservative game plan and a short leash

- protect the ball at the expense of big plays

- If IntercePeterman shows up for two consecutive games, give him the hook and don't look back ever again

I am torn... I voted no, then I changed to yes, and I think I will stick with that.  Here's the thing about what happened yesterday... have we forgotten how Nate handled relentless pressure?  Our line is bad.. yes that's true, but yesterday was worse because of the intentional cycling of players at positions that they aren't normally in.  In some cases Allen had 1 sec before he was hit.  No one can perform under that kind of failure to protect.  A part of me is wondering if the coaches did this to see how he would respond to adverse conditions.  Other than the one throw that should have been intercepted, he didn't make many mistakes.  I believe with Shady on the field, and a stable (albeit poor) O-line, I say start Allen.  

Just let him sit and wait his turn to take a shot it shouldn't take long I'd say by the time we roll out of September Nate or AJ will be on the IR and the other will be going through concussion protocol so he'll get his shot.

24 minutes ago, bdutton said:

Peterman's ball speed is what is being called slow.

These are two totally different points of fact.

I’ll concede that. But if his ball remains slow what’s the upside there? He’s getting the ball out quick but throwing it slowly so it’s getting intercepted or one-hopping vs. Allen taking sacks. 

Just now, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I’ll concede that. But if his ball remains slow what’s the upside there? He’s getting the ball out quick but throwing it slowly so it’s getting intercepted or one-hopping vs. Allen taking sacks. 

80% completion rate.

Hard to argue when he's getting the ball to the receiver consistently.

Bills fans swerve all over the road. 

At first it was McCarron was the steady veteran to execute McDermott's offense. 

Last week it was Allen is playing just as good as anybody, might as well throw him out there. 

Now its Peterman has won the job, Allen is going to get killed. 

Nate Peterman has thrown 6 interceptions in <2 games when the real bullets are flying. 

1 hour ago, Perry Turtle said:

Guys like Jim Kelly, John Elway, and Peyton Manning  all played as rookies behind poor offensive lines.  They turned out okay.

The nature of the draft places the better QB prospects on bad teams.  If the prospect is a franchise caliber QB, they elevate the play of the bad team in some way.

If the prospect is not truly an elite NFL QB, they fall to the level of the bad players on the team.

The sooner a coaching staff knows whether they have a QB that elevates the team, the better. 

Hiding Allen accomplishes nothing if he is a franchise QB.  

As I alluded to in the original post, I think this is the only real debate here.

Does putting a QB behind this O-Line with this WR group help or hurt him? I'm of the opinion that bad habits can be created by having bad football around you. QB confidence is also a real thing... I think at this point I feel more comfortable letting Allen sit while we figure out all the other issues with our team and come week 6 or later, when we have an identity, we let him go in there and sling it.