Do you want Josh Allen to start week 1? (After pre-season wk 3 performance)

Rigotz

Do you want Josh Allen to start week 1? (After pre-season wk 3 performance)  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Josh Allen to start week 1? (After pre-season wk 3 performance)

I voted yes despite how bad yesterday was (and it was truly awful). I think anyone gets killed behind that OL. I also think that teams know exactly how to play Peterman despite his superb preseason play (and he’s looked great). Teams will pressure him and play underneath all over the field. I don’t see any team letting the Bills run quick passing plays (regardless of who is in there). Why would you? They haven’t proven that they can hold up at the LOS so just bring heat and jump routes. The only way that’s going to change is if the Bills elude the rush and make a few plays down the field. 

I don’t think it’s going to be pretty at all. With that being said, I’d just assume he gets the experience now. The Bills aren’t going to be very good this year. That factors into my reasoning as well. If you are going to take your lumps do it now. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

This garbage is why we Bills fans should not be allowed to even draft QBs anymore, We're the only team in the league that can't just simply draft a QB and then play them and stick with them for 3 years like every other team does.

We totally deserve every Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kyle Orton and Kelly Holcomb we get, cause thats exactly who we have with Nathan Peterman.

makes no sense at all.. There is nothing wrong with not rushing a new QB into starting game 1.. He'll start before the seasons out and Peterman is getting the ball out faster at this point. AND at this point with the state of the OL we can afford to wait 8 games while this disaster of an OL learns to be serviceable at best

Edited by ddaryl

May not be a good idea to throw him to the wolves behind that O-line. He had no chance whatsoever with them being that bad. NP has looked much better so far but who knows how he'll do behind that replacement level line.

Heck no.  Not ready to start, clearly.

But I'm not on the same page as those who say to let Peterman take the lumps of playing behind this line/and let Peterman start and Allen will take over.

I know it is only preseason, so things can change in the regular season, but Peterman hasn't just sort of won this battle by default--he has looked excellent in games and has seemed to do all the right things in practice as well.

Peterman had only two years as a college starter and was dramatically better in his second season. Shows his ability to learn and improve.  If he continues to improve at this rate, Allen will be sitting the bench for much longer than a few games.

Edited by Mister Defense

28 minutes ago, teef said:

i was on the i'd like him to sit train.  he showed a lot of promise and i thought..well, just play the best guy.  Yesterday put me back in the sit and learn category.  this team needs to come together a bit before a rookie qb gets put out there.

edit:  this is not just about allen's showing.  the entire team looked awful.

Isn't it frustrating, teef?

I don't know what a healthy Wood and not crazy Incognito would provide for this team in 2018, but it obviously would be better than what we have now and it would have given the kid a likelier chance to start against Baltimore.

Right now I'm with Sal C: You can always take Peterman out as the season goes, but once Allen is in there he has to stay in there and it may not be the right call on September 9th.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I still say play him, but give him better blocking maybe.    Understand that McCoy will be the focus of any defense once the season starts.   Having him out there will change our offense completely.   They come with that pressure we dump off screens to McCoy and he runs them for touchdowns.    Cincy wasn't scared of our running game yesterday and we weren't trying to run the ball much anyway, we were trying to evaluate a QB.    They knew it and they sent the house. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Isn't it frustrating, teef?

I don't know what a healthy Wood and not crazy Incognito would provide for this team in 2018, but it obviously would be better than what we have now and it would have given the kid a likelier chance to start against Baltimore.

Right now I'm with Sal ? You can always take Peterman out as the season goes, but once Allen is in there he has to stay in there and it may not be the right call on September 9th.

i think the bolded captures it perfectly.  once they start allen, they completely need to commit to him.  i'm not sure if the first 4-6 weeks are that time.  if they decide to play him and let him learn on the fly, so be it.  i just has a dangerous feel to it.

• Like (+1) 2

I voted yes because I think that even behind the OLE line, he'd still learn some valuable lessons. And he wouldn't be the first to do so. Plus, we'd learn if he truly has the mental and physical capacity to handle the NFL game.

2 minutes ago, teef said:

it just has a dangerous feel to it.

I think that's a good thing in the long run. If it turns out he can't hack it, we know sooner rather than later.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

They knew it and they sent the house. 

What scares me is they really weren't sending the house. They were mostly rushing on 4. Even when we had extra blockers in they were getting to Allen in no time. He's used to our slow front 4 in practice so he wasn't ready for a real pass rush.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What scares me is they really weren't sending the house. They were mostly rushing on 4. Even when we had extra blockers in they were getting to Allen in no time. He's used to our slow front 4 in practice so he wasn't ready for a real pass rush.

What I mean is their Dline was attacking our Oline with little regard to screens or misdirection or the run game.  They came downhill every play with their ears pinned back.  They didn't need to blitz because their front 4 just decimated us. 

25 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I still say play him, but give him better blocking maybe.    Understand that McCoy will be the focus of any defense once the season starts.   Having him out there will change our offense completely.   They come with that pressure we dump off screens to McCoy and he runs them for touchdowns.    Cincy wasn't scared of our running game yesterday and we weren't trying to run the ball much anyway, we were trying to evaluate a QB.    They knew it and they sent the house. 

This is borderline delusional.  Murphy and Ivory both ran very well yesterday, when given the opportunity.  As good as McCoy is, he won’t do that much better and he might not do as well, given his running style.

And Bengals did not “send the house”.  They were getting immediate pressure with a standard, plain-vanilla, four-man front.

31 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I voted yes because I think that even behind the OLE line, he'd still learn some valuable lessons. And he wouldn't be the first to do so. Plus, we'd learn if he truly has the mental and physical capacity to handle the NFL game.

I think that's a good thing in the long run. If it turns out he can't hack it, we know sooner rather than later.

This doesn't take into account injury. I'd rather have him lean lessons in the film room than learn where the trainer keeps the good knee brace.  

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

This is borderline delusional.  Murphy and Ivory both ran very well yesterday, when given the opportunity.  As good as McCoy is, he won’t do that much better and he might not do as well, given his running style.

And Bengals did not “send the house”.  They were getting immediate pressure with a standard, plain-vanilla, four-man front.

you need to understand football in the preseason.  We were not looking to commit to running the ball, we wanted to have our QB throw the ball to evaluate him.   and as I said to HappyDays what i meant was their dline was not concerned with stopping the run (which is why it looked good when we tried it) they were concerned with getting after our QBs and nothing else. 

I don't think you improve a bad offense by putting a less talented QB out there. I understand that injuries are a concern, but they're always a concern. If we were deep in the playoff hunt and lost 3 pro-bowl linemen to season ending injury we wouldn't be asking them to pull our franchise QB to prevent injury. I think it's time to let him play, do our best with scheme and personnel to protect him and help him out, and then trust that his talent level will make things happen. Defenses aren't going to pass blitz every down when Lesean McCoy is in the backfield, and as soon as they cheat to the line Allen can make them pay unlike Peterman and McCarron can. 

I also think that once Dawkins is back in the lineup the entire line will look significantly better. 

I do understand the fear of injury, but I think as soon as you start changing the way that your team does things to hide from injury, you're in trouble. 

Edited by whatdrought