Do you want Josh Allen to start week 1? (After pre-season wk 3 performance)

Rigotz

Do you want Josh Allen to start week 1? (After pre-season wk 3 performance)  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Josh Allen to start week 1? (After pre-season wk 3 performance)

I think this is an interesting debate...

Initially I would have said yes, but now I'm leaning toward no... and that doesn't necessarily have to do with Josh Allen himself.

The underlying questions really are: 

"Can you ruin a QB by starting him on a bad team?"

"Is experience the most important thing for his development at this point?"

• Like (+1) 1

I need a maybe. I need someone who is better at this than me to look at the all 22 and tell me were there open receivers out there that Allen did not have the confidence to throw to? That would surprise me as he hasn't been afraid to throw the ball as of yet. Some complained he should have thrown the ball away, but he was still in the pocket most times and had his own lineman pushed into his face. The tv coverage was so close, I could never get a good read what was going on with the wide receivers. I do think that if Clay & Benjamin would have made those catches, it could have been a different story....

• Like (+1) 3

i was on the i'd like him to sit train.  he showed a lot of promise and i thought..well, just play the best guy.  Yesterday put me back in the sit and learn category.  this team needs to come together a bit before a rookie qb gets put out there.

edit:  this is not just about allen's showing.  the entire team looked awful.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 7

i'll be perfectly honest.... if Peterman was anyone else on the planet I would be screaming to start him. i'm trying to get over the fact that its Nathan Peterman, forget the past, and get on board.

the bottom line is he's played with every unit and put points up. i'm begrudgingly in the "sit the rookie" category, I suppose.

• Like (+1) 5

I say no, because of the o-line. Let him sit and learn. Play him when the line is ready.

While they will be doing more shotgun formations during the season to cover for the line, the line still sucks donkey balls in pass protection.

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 1

Considering how bad the O-line was, I wouldn't see Peterman doing much better than Allen.  I was impressed with Allen's ability to move throughout the pocket.

BUT... combine the terrible O-Line with Allen's style of play looks like it would absolutely get him injured this year.  I don't see any Bills qb having a ton of success based on what we just witnessed.  But Peterman looks like a guy that's not gonna play hero ball and will know how to take his medicine. 

So I'd start Peterman until we hopefully get the O-line figured out.  I just don't see much to gain from throwing Allen into this.

• Like (+1) 1

This garbage is why we Bills fans should not be allowed to even draft QBs anymore, We're the only team in the league that can't just simply draft a QB and then play them and stick with them for 3 years like every other team does.

We totally deserve every Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kyle Orton and Kelly Holcomb we get, cause thats exactly who we have with Nathan Peterman.

• Like (+1) 1

Interestingly enough, I think he is probably the best of the Qbs to start behind this horrible OL due to his mobility and size. That being said, I think we need to let Peterman take the lumps of the first few games at least (Balt, SD, Minnesota, all defenses that will destroy our OL) then bring him in if needed. He cant really learn how to play from the pocket if there is no pocket.

• Like (+1) 3

What a difference a week makes.  After game 2 I was saying start the beginning of the season with Peterman due to the o-line and was getting beat up some for it.  Lol.  

This team is likely going 0-4 to start and JA will get chances to come out and play even when not starting I'm fairly certain.  Let's not ruin that confidence he had last week by making him scramble around all day before getting put on his ass repearedly and then having to deal with the fans losing confidence. . .we've been through so many QBs these past 20 years that we should have at least learned how to ruin them so as to not repeat again; maybe.

Edited by sleeby