OL what I would like to see happen TOMORROW

At this point put our 5 best out there and pray.

Dawkins - Teller - Bodine - Groy - Mills

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Teller has had some issues picking up the X's and O's which is why he hasn't had any time with the ones. But if Ducasse or Miller keep playing the way they have, coaching staff won't have a choice but to let Teller get in there just to see how he does.

What was up with Dawkins? I don't recall reading about him being hurt or anything. Were they resting him and just seeing what Newhouse could do at LT?

It was rough. They need to get their sh!t together. I've never really felt great about the Castillo hire but we'll have to see what happens.

They are obviously experimenting on the OL. They have to be concerned.

34 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Teller has had some issues picking up the X's and O's which is why he hasn't had any time with the ones. But if Ducasse or Miller keep playing the way they have, coaching staff won't have a choice but to let Teller get in there just to see how he does.

What was up with Dawkins? I don't recall reading about him being hurt or anything. Were they resting him and just seeing what Newhouse could do at LT?

It was rough. They need to get their sh!t together. I've never really felt great about the Castillo hire but we'll have to see what happens.

The coaches rested a few veteran starters including Dawkins, Shady and Meatball 

It is not all about the players. What is Castillo doing to help the team? What about the Pegula's decisions in this? What about the "McBeane's"  collective decisions in this? Total lack of good decision making concerning the O Line. Questionable talent decisions on WR's. They had little choice on Ritchie and Wood, but their FA signings to replace them were pure Bill's history based pocket book choices, not talent based. Letting a pro bowl LT go to get a "maybe" choice at your future QB when you already lost 2/3 of your strong left side of your OL was not the brightest staffing moment. Considering your right side was already pathetic. Although Miller's performance may explain away my doubts about their evaluation about Miller last year that I did not comprehend at that time. I find myself blaming the management and coaching more for expecting more out of individual players than they even have in themselves to offer.  I agree with not putting Allen's future in the hands of this putrid Oline. And giving the two rookies a chance on the OLine, it will not get much worse considering the vets we are starting instead. Only Groy and Dawkins have shown me any glimmer of hope on this collection of mediocrity.  Hey, I'd offer Ritchie  a contract containing his own private  live in Shrink during the season if it would bring him back to play at his best again, LOL.

Edited by simpleman

LT - Dawkins

LG - Ducasse

C - Bodine

RG - Groy

RT - Mills

Not great, but better than what we saw yesterday.   Miller was horrendous.   Ducasse was beat bad by a very talented player on a few occasions.   Groy looked like an absolute fool on one play.  But neither accounted for three penalties and a sack in one half of football. 

Sadly, there isnt a lot out there in terms of trade or scrap heap.   They could trade for Warmack who would be an upgrade over Miller, but he is in the same realm as Ducasse when it comes to play.   This way you aren't giving up future picks for players who are sub standard starters like Warmack. 

4 hours ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

looks like a long season... I'll be hitting a lot of Virginia winery tasting rooms with my wife on Sundays this year it looks like

What we witnessed yesterday with the oline was disturbing. I knew we were weak at OL but I had no idea it was this bad. Better be a lot of 3 step drops this year or someone is getting hurt.

There was no Guard/Center play at all in the 1st half, when Allen was in. That's as far as I've watched for the moment, but I honestly cannot remember, more abysmal interior O-Line play than I saw in that half, going back to Losman's days - and that screams that we have problems.

Groy completely missed a block on the very first series. Miller was a penalty machine and Ducasse was bull rushed straight into Allen. Bodine was being beaten like a drum, and the list could go on and on. Just about every snap, one guy out of the interior O-Line, stuffed up in one way or another. It was a hideous performance, and it never seemed to get any better, even with swapping guys around.

3 hours ago, ALF said:

I need to watch the game on DVR. 

Who played in place of Dawkins ?  I've read Miller had a bad game , what happened to him with penalties ?  

With that OL , Allen would barely have time for 1 read , get rid of the ball or run. 

If that game doesn't mess with Allen's confidence nothing will.

I hope Daboll will learn a lot from that game , Castillo is still a mystery to me.

They started Newhouse in place of Dawkins. 

I forget what other ones Miller had but I remember a leg whipping penalty on the first play of the drive that instantly killed us. Then next play he got beat and got Josh hit again. 

6 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

My plan going forward

Draft Trey Adams-LT Washington 6’7 328 in the 1st, draft Dalton’s Risner-C Kansas St 6’5 310 in the 3rd and Daryl Williams from Carolina in FA

Adams-Dawkins-Risner-Teller-Williams 

Invest in the OL and protect your Franchise QB

Not bad. I see us making several Oline moves this off season. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why do folks always think OT skills automagically transfer to guard?  That was Marrone's theory with Pears - he was a servicable but marginal RT so let's make him a guard.

He was brutal, and Marrone was brutally wrong.

Agreed. Many OTs are too tall to be ideal at G. It’s a different build/ body type. 

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Could a real Doublel Team space eater been had at cheaper ?  I don;'t know whom... but again if the run D is vastly improved from last year then I'm not going to lose sleep over this> its not killing our cap in future years

Benie Logan is exactly that and only 4M so yes 

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Benie Logan is exactly that and only 4M so yes 

welp water under the bridge now and he's a Bill.. Not sure how good either of these guy are or are going to be this year, so any further perceptions by me would be uneducated opinion

10 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

Agree on the first part, strongly disagree with the last sentence. I honestly think Miller was the worst player on the field tonight. He was blown up several times and had slow feet. There was one drive he cost us about 25 yards in two plays. Penalty for 15 and then a sack where he didn’t even touch the guy in front of him (Billings I believe). Our whole interior is garbage but Miller I would like to see on the first bus outta town. His play was embarrassing. 

I agree. It was close between him and Groy but I had Miller as the worst guy out there. And I am an avowed Miller fan - liked him before the draft, thought he had a solid rookie season and a good sophmore season. But he has regressed massively under Castillo's coaching and he was atrocious last night. Worst player on the field. Agreed. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. It was close between him and Groy but I had Miller as the worst guy out there. And I am an avowed Miller fan - liked him before the draft, thought he had a solid rookie season and a good sophmore season. But he has regressed massively under Castillo's coaching and he was atrocious last night. Worst player on the field. Agreed. 

Coaching is a huge deal on the OL because it is about playing as a unit and knowing each others assignments, strengths and weaknesses.  What we are seeing is the anchor that held this OL together retired (Wood) and now they are relying more heavily on the coaching and trying to find their way as a unit.  Problem is that I don't think they have a good enough coach to make up for the lack of talent and leadership to bridge the gap. 

I think you saw the starting lineup yesterday and they will give them a game or two before they change it up.  There is no way that they can put Allen behind that line to start his career if they want to bring along with confidence.  The game is faster already, add guys coming from all angles with no time in the pocket and it's going to be frantic.  You could see the Bills giving up over 100 sacks easily with Allen back there (if he could withstand the beating) - not that he has been bad, but he's a rookie that needs a little more time in the pocket and there is no question that someone trying to correct some deficiencies in his footwork will regress if not given some stability where he can actually set his feet. 

We'd have to come up with 3 very solid starters to consider this OL even average. That assumes that Dawkins can be moved to RT where he belongs and Teller will be better than any other interior OL on the roster (which isn't saying much). Our starters are all backup caliber except Dawkins, who is playing out of position. He was fine at LT in college, but has really struggled in pass protection these last 2 games.

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

We'd have to come up with 3 very solid starters to consider this OL even average. That assumes that Dawkins can be moved to RT where he belongs and Teller will be better than any other interior OL on the roster (which isn't saying much). Our starters are all backup caliber except Dawkins, who is playing out of position. He was fine at LT in college, but has really struggled in pass protection these last 2 games.

He didn't play yesterday.  The fact that you don't know that says volumes about your bias.  I do agree they need to revamp the interior though.