What areas of the team has Beane actually improved?

Yeezus

On 8/27/2018 at 1:51 PM, Yeezus said:

Dline? LOL

We had one of the best pass rushes in the league with Rex and now are ranked near dead last. Our Dline is a joke. 

Carolina had 1 good season and make the superbowl and got crushed by a far better team. hasn't done anything before or after that season.

why would we follow their blueprint. 

So they have 1 bad day and now the DLine sucks? Man. it's preseason, they aren't showing their cards and all these defenses are playing vanilla. 

On 8/26/2018 at 11:16 PM, SoTier said:

Cherish the memory of the playoffs, dude, because you're not likely to have any new ones in the near future.   Contrary to some fans' fantasies, 2019 doesn't look the year the Bills "put it all together" and dominate the AFCE ... or even 2020.

Fair evaluation. Hoping for better, yet reality beckons.

Hopefully QB. With the addition of a solid CB on the right side (Will it be Davis?) you could add the secondary to that list. Other than that, I agree. Others areas may get better as the season goes along such as LB or WR, but I don'[t expect a big jump anywhere in 2018.

All of the moves that Beane has made were brilliant, salary cap saving moves. Don't be thinking short term and start thinking LONG term. What has Beane improved? 

SALARY CAP.

In 2019 we're set to have the 2nd most cap space to do whatever we want.  Close to $62M under the cap. Yea we'll suffer this year, but if we can land a top 5-10 draft pick and pick up key FA's next year, we're sitting pretty. Talk to me then...

54 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

All of the moves that Beane has made were brilliant, salary cap saving moves. Don't be thinking short term and start thinking LONG term. What has Beane improved? 

SALARY CAP.

In 2019 we're set to have the 2nd most cap space to do whatever we want.  Close to $62M under the cap. Yea we'll suffer this year, but if we can land a top 5-10 draft pick and pick up key FA's next year, we're sitting pretty. Talk to me then...

Yuck

If we had some schmuck coach i might believe you. But if Coach McDermott got last year's team to the playoffs i see no reason to think he can't with this team too.

Edited by reddogblitz

On 8/28/2018 at 10:48 AM, dave mcbride said:

I go back to Rex using the media to go after his GM in NY. He does note appear to be an easy guy to work with, which is no surprise. I'm not here to defend Whaley, who I had major issues with, but put yourself in his shoes - he's constructed an excellent defense that was #2 overall in DVOA in 2014 (behind Seattle), and Ryan comes in and forces an inappropriate scheme on the group. Next thing you know, they're #24 and #27 in defensive DVOA the next two seasons despite real talent.

it was a dysfunctional marriage from the beginning with Whaley, in my opinion, deserving 50 percent of the blame.

Whaley failed to get entirely on board with the Ryan hiring, because the Pegulas essentially took the decision out of his hands, and there being no clear definition of power between Rex and Whaley.

both spent the next two years trying to assert their power over the other.

Rex was the one who proposed having Tom Coughlin be hired to take over as football czar, so he could have someone have his back. he's the one who introduced Coughlin to the Pegulas.

Whaley and Brandon were against the move for obvious reasons, and eventually, Coughlin backed out.

Whaley and members of his staff then spent much of the 2016 season bad-mouthing Rex in the Pegulas' presence, leaked things to select members of the media who were indebted to him, avoided other members of the media, and eventually boasted to friends that he had the authority to fire Rex, and was going to do it.

Unfortunately, the Pegulas over-ruled Whaley initially.

Ryan was attempting to avoid the same scenario that took place with the Jets, and wound up suffering the same outcome.

Whaley won the power struggle but eventually couldn't save himself from the problems he himself created by claiming he wasn't privy to anything going on.

Thankfully, the Pegulas saw through the whole thing and made what was ultimately the right decision.

jw

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, Nihilarian said:

Whaley made so many stupid moves too.

Bills fans forget that Whaley personally went down to Fla and scouted EJ and he made the choice on him. Then attempted to build around a bad choice at QB. Two firsts and a fourth for a WR when the team didn't have a solid franchise QB.  Whaley signed OG Chris Williams for 13.5 mill, 5.5 guaranteed money for a player that lasted 3 games. Anyone remember WR Mke Williams, OG Sam Young, OG Doug Legursky? 

Incognito and Tyrod Taylor were Rex Ryan's guys as he vouched for Richie and he wanted Taylor signed. Whaley had his chance with Richie the year before to sign him and didn't. Jerry Hughes move was a mistake of that imbecile GM of the Colts who wanted to foolishly rid the team of Bill Polians last 1st round draft pick as he called Whaley to start the negotiations. Same with McCoy as Chip Kelly wanted him off the team and called Whaley to start negotiations. Allowing WR Chis Hogan to leave to NE.

Whaley also got this team into cap hell and helped make the wrong choices on head coaches. The biggest knock on the guy is how many of his draft picks are still with the team today? The 2017 draft doesn't count as most are pretty sure McD made those choices.

Both Whaley and the entire scouting dept were fired after the 2017 draft. There is a real reason as to why Whaley is currently not an NFL GM.

"It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play."

*Anyway, I think that Beane, McD has the ship headed in the right direction. Just want to see that offensive line rebuilt with some quality talent. 

Whaley seems a better Pro Personnel evaluator. Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Beane improved RB, TE and more importantly QB. I think he set this team up long term, we'll start to see some growth midseason but overall 2018 will be about bringing the young prospects along.

12 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Secondary and nothing else. Everything else got worse. McCoy going to look like he aged 5 years behind this line. 

What TE belongs to Beane? We don't know how Allen will work long term and McCarron seems like a wasted signing. Whaley drafted Peterman.

Whaley signed all the secondary players, except Davis who seems like a busted signing ATM.

6 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

Whaley seems a better Pro Personnel evaluator. Time will tell.

In my view, Whaley's forte was on the defensive side as he seemed to bring in better defensive talent than offensive ...and yet he missed on Khalil Mack.    

Also, I think that the Sammy Watkins trade up defined his career as a GM in the thinking that a stud wide receiver would greatly help his choice at QB in EJ Manuel. Clearly, he must have watched nothing but highlight film of Sammy at Clemson but he didn't take into consideration that most of Watkins yards were obtained from screenplays.  A play which the Bills don't run very often. 

I can recall that right after drafting Watkins the Bills FO stating that they were still looking for that big, tall red zone WR target. If that were the case then why didn't he simply draft WR Mike Evans who has had four 1000+ yard seasons for the Bucs. 

The man failed to build a decent offensive line to protect his rookie QB and didn't have enough common sense to make certain that EJ would be developed properly by having an NFL QB coach, an NFL veteran QB or at least an actual NFL offensive coordinator to teach him.

As it was EJ, Jeff Tuel, and Thad Lewis were all left to be taught by Nathaniel Hackett who is now Blake Bortles OC. At the time Hackett had no experience as an NFL OC and had been the OC at Syracuse under Marrone. 

Whaley failed on many levels, so many positions, so many wrong choices on building a team the wrong way.

Heading back to the topic of this thread. The only place I think this FO, Beane McD have partially failed in is rebuilding the offensive line quickly as was needed. McD did draft Dion Dawkins to play RT last year which was a great move to shore up a badly manned position. The problem was Dawkins was needed at LT where he did a masterful job his first season.

Woods neck injury, Richie's mental meltdowns happened sort of fast and this FO probably consulted their O-line coach to see how they stood in that department and Castillo probably told him he had things under control. This FO also must have consulted with that line coach to determine how best to handle the situation. Although McD must think highly of his coach in Juan Castillio. I think that will change after this season or I hope it will. 

The way I see it is that this team is desperate for quality talent at OC, LG, RG, RT in that order. Meaning that most of the line needs to be rebuilt though next years draft or some trades made. How Beane handles this offensive line problem will define how Josh Allen develops which could end up defining both McD and Beane's careers in the NFL. 

On 8/26/2018 at 11:04 PM, Yeezus said:

Brandon Beane came into this organization and shook up the roster more than any other past GM's I can think of. He made several headline trades that saw some of our best young talent getting shipped away for draft picks

It was risky but we needed the draft picks. 2 years later he got his QB and this is the squad we are left with. Holes everywhere on the squad. 

I love Mcdermott as a HC, I think given what he had to work with last season he did very well. But I'm not at all sold on Beane like 90% of this fanbase. I truly don't understand what he has done to improve this team in the last 2 years. Roster turnover is rather quick in the NFL. This isn't hockey or the NBA where we have to wait for years until a young core of players develops into elite talent. Beane traded away some of our best players and has yet to replace them. 2nd offseason in a row he has completely ignored the oline and we now objectively have the worst oline in the league. 

I can only think of the RB's and safety position groups that have improved since the Rex era. Our LB's are some of the worst in the league, Dline and the pass rush has disappeared, and our top ranked rush offense is no more.  

This season doesn't count, and shouldn't. But we are realistically 2-3 years away from competing. Beane has a lot of work to do next offseason. 

Nothing better than a self-answering post.