Forgotten Songs, Albums, and Groups

T&C

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Proto-Industrial? Rammstein 15 years before Rammstein?

Sisters of Mercy hits the nail on the head for me.  I had "First and Last and Always" on vinyl way back when. Not sure how I stumbled into them, at the time I was listening to metal almost exclusively but I always thought that album was strong. I'll have to revisit to see if it stands the test of time.

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Proto-Industrial? Rammstein 15 years before Rammstein?

Never heard of this group so I listened to the video. To be honest It didn't do anything for me... just different tastes in music is what it comes down to.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:10 PM, T&C said:

Wow.  Musicians sitting around playing music in a very musical way.

How refreshing! 

It's hard to find this now, and it's all because of MTV.

There are still great musicians out there, but you have to dig around to find them.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Wow.  Musicians sitting around playing music in a very musical way.

How refreshing! 

It's hard to find this now, and it's all because of MTV.

There are still great musicians out there, but you have to dig around to find them.

It really is... Oldfield was just 19 when he composed this. Wonder if he's still around, I haven't looked. Mahavishnu Orchestra or Return to Forever would be other good ones if someone is looking for pure musicians... or even ELP or Yes if you want something with words.

Alan Parsons or any variation of him (engineer of DSOTM) has hit virtually every kind of modern day music except for cuntry... prog, pop, classical, rock, new wave, psych, ... and probably inspired a **** ton of bands who play today.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Alan Parsons or any variation of him (engineer of DSOTM) has hit virtually every kind of modern day music except for cuntry... prog, pop, classical, rock, new wave, psych, ... and probably inspired a **** ton of bands who play today.

I had a cassette tape with about 2 hours of APP.  

Montrose 

91xd9iNK+cL._SY355_.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I had a cassette tape with about 2 hours of APP.  

Montrose 

2 hour cassettes... thin tape and and sound. I liked the 90 min ones, still have a few.

Montrose. Not a band we hear about much anymore, good choice.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That's because they showed the record execs this video.  Dear God, that is about the lamest thing I've ever seen, and I only made it 90 seconds into it.

I'm guessing you weren't around in the early 80's to watch MTV. I'll say not bad for a group w/ no cash on hand to make a video. 

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Bollocks is one of the greatest albums of all time. It defined a genre.  Not one that I'll ever forget.

Exactly.  It was ground breaking, as well as an affront to disco, which at the time (1977) was at the height of popularity.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Exactly.  It was ground breaking, as well as an affront to disco, which at the time (1977) was at the height of popularity.

Yes, but it's hardly forgotten.

Everyone, even spoiled millennials, knows who the Sex Pistols are.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Yes, but it's hardly forgotten.

Everyone, even spoiled millennials, knows who the Sex Pistols are.

I'm not so sure about that.  Most of the kids today are more concerned with Taylor Swift, rap/hip-hop, and the like.  I haven't asked any of them if they know who the Sex Pistols are; they may have 'heard' of them just because of the unique name, but I doubt they could identify any of their music or know who Johhny Rotten (Lydon) is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.