Groy & Bodine = $4.6 mil in salary cap at center

Punt75

1 minute ago, Jpsredemption said:

Aka we want to bring in "our guys" which is code for we don't want to develop someone else's talent or be tough and try and adapt to their shortfalls. 

This is a sign of a poor plan

I totally agree with you, my post was totally sarcastic. 

16 hours ago, Punt75 said:

These two centers were awful today.  Bodine was ranked 28th out of the starting centers in the NFL. Why did they sign him?   Ryan Groy was supposed to be Woods replacement at Center yet he's 2nd string at guard & center.  I see nothing at all positive from him.

New England pays their center $800,000.  

Any explanation???

Kraft is cheap

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Whaley was really good at FA, but not great at the draft. That being said, outside of qb, a lot of his draft picks are still in the league. Beane reminds me of Tim Murray more and more everyday.

That's 28th amongst starters. I've see a few that had him last.

Whaley was good in the draft, too.  His draft picks are sprinkled all over the NFL on playoff teams, including SB winning Philly.   His problem was that when the Bills hired a new HC, they always hired one who wanted to start from scratch with his own players in his own system rather than change his system to fit the players he had.  

16 hours ago, Punt75 said:

These two centers were awful today.  Bodine was ranked 28th out of the starting centers in the NFL. Why did they sign him?   Ryan Groy was supposed to be Woods replacement at Center yet he's 2nd string at guard & center.  I see nothing at all positive from him.

New England pays their center $800,000.  

Any explanation???

He's on his rookie contract.  Unless they're first rounders, OLers don't get paid a lot.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Whaley was good in the draft, too.  His draft picks are sprinkled all over the NFL on playoff teams, including SB winning Philly.   His problem was that when the Bills hired a new HC, they always hired one who wanted to start from scratch with his own players in his own system rather than change his system to fit the players he had.  

I read a stat a few months ago (trying to find to confirm), that in the years Whaley was named GM (13-17) he has more starters in the NFL than any GM in the league. 

Edited by Mango

3 hours ago, Mango said:

What don’t you understand? We are clearing out all of our bad contracts we have to quality football players at important positions, so we can over spend on really bad depth, and unimportant positions. 

Its the process...

Paying a FullBack that we use very little $2.1 million a year is not a good contract. 

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

He's on his rookie contract.  Unless they're first rounders, OLers don't get paid a lot.

The Pegulas have screwed up quite a bit in both franchises. It's crazy to me that your GM isn't selecting the coach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

The Pegulas have screwed up quite a bit in both franchises. It's crazy to me that your GM isn't selecting the coach.

I feel the same.   Coaches think in the short term, usually now, and maybe next week or the week after.  GMs are supposed to be the guys who think in the long term, next season, the season after that.   A long term mind set is critical for managing personnel within the salary cap, too. 

I truly feel that not having a GM who is truly "in charge" of the team, including selecting the HC and making final personnel decision, has been the biggest reason that the Bills have wallowed in mediocrity or worse since John Butler departed.   If the GM selects the HC, he can pick a guy who fits his philosophy and whose willing to adapt to the players that are already there.  Just because a team has a rough year or multiple years doesn't mean that all the players are crappy.   Even though Cleveland went 0-16 last season, they still had some talented players, particularly on defense.   If your team has a great 3-4 D, changing to a 4-3 that doesn't suit your personnel on the whim of your newly hired HC -- who may be a first time HC at that -- is a prescription for guaranteeing a long rebuild. 

21 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I feel the same.   Coaches think in the short term, usually now, and maybe next week or the week after.  GMs are supposed to be the guys who think in the long term, next season, the season after that.   A long term mind set is critical for managing personnel within the salary cap, too. 

I truly feel that not having a GM who is truly "in charge" of the team, including selecting the HC and making final personnel decision, has been the biggest reason that the Bills have wallowed in mediocrity or worse since John Butler departed.   If the GM selects the HC, he can pick a guy who fits his philosophy and whose willing to adapt to the players that are already there.  Just because a team has a rough year or multiple years doesn't mean that all the players are crappy.   Even though Cleveland went 0-16 last season, they still had some talented players, particularly on defense.   If your team has a great 3-4 D, changing to a 4-3 that doesn't suit your personnel on the whim of your newly hired HC -- who may be a first time HC at that -- is a prescription for guaranteeing a long rebuild. 

It seems to me that they fired Murray in one league and went right out and signed his twin in the other. Both are young, untested, and arrogant guys that made questionable trades and contract decisions almost immediately. 

• Like (+1) 1