Calling Shananigans On the JA hate

Just now, HappyDays said:

We ran a lot of short throws last week and for some reason this week we weren't calling those routes. I do wonder how the offense would have looked if Clay and Benjamin catch two passes right in their hands and Allen is given that 1st down. In a single half of football it only takes 3 plays like that to cause a big swing in momentum.

I didn't understand the decision to rush the punt team out there when Allen dove near the first down marker, either.  

If our O-line is this bad, Allen will be playing very soon regardless of which QB starts week 1.  

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He did today - subject him to that for a season (or half a season) and he will have happy feet and throw to nobody - ruined...

Not true. Some things can be fixed. He will need to get to the line earlier, diagnose presnap, and get the ball out early. I didn’t see many easy throws like you see Brady commonly gets, mainly WR screens, misdirections and 3-step hitches. He just will need time to get a handle of things. Benching him will delay that process.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We ran a lot of short throws last week and for some reason this week we weren't calling those routes. I do wonder how the offense would have looked if Clay and Benjamin catch two passes right in their hands and Allen is given that 1st down. In a single half of football it only takes 3 plays like that to cause a big swing in momentum.

Right. It was like Daboll was playing with “what can an can’t we do with Josh”

Week 1 we saw deep routes— ok

Week 2 we saw JA running dink dunk NP plays.— Admiral to the point of 1st team reps

Week 3 was almost in between. Plays that Josh would need to drop...step up maybe a step or two and rip. —Incapable due to 1st string O-line gap to competition.

Call it ignorance. But I believe JA could’ve—and would have—made every read and throw Nate did in just as timely of a manner given the line + COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLAY CALLS WHERE THE FIRST READ WAS A HIGH PROBABILITY 5-7 YARD THROW.

(Maybe except for KB throw that’s just a NP:KB thing there)

I truely think Daboll was putting Josh through his own little experiment...because...it’s... an exibhition game. 

But I do still feel the “We can’t start Josh because he’ll die” arguement does not fly in in a room full of millionaires who get paid to go sacrifice their bodies for the sake of my entertainment. The experience gap is too close to rationalize that to a locker room. 

I love Josh but Peterman has earned the right to start. Josh just admitted that he had some difficulty diagnosing the defense as the play clock was winding down. Also said he could be quicker getting into and out of the huddle. I think we go with Peterman due to his mental edge over Allen at this stage. I like everything about Peterman except his out throws to the far sideline. I think Dabol can manage that though with play design. Allen's time will come when he is ready. 

Anyone who blames Allen for todays debacle doesnt know football..The offensive line was atrocious...the wrs had trouble separating. Could he have gotten rid of the ball a hair sooner sure..but just contrast the time he had to dalton or barkley..on the td pass to aj green dalton has over 3 seconds to throw..on the one play in the first half allen barely finishes his drop before ducasses is pushed right back into his lap.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, GoodHands15 said:

Ok enough is enough. No one is giving JA any credit for getting the $?!@ kicked out of him and getting back up—AND signaling Daboll to put him under center as opposed to the gun.

I needed to see Josh Allen get pummeled and not turn the ball over. He DID that. YOU SAW NERVES. I definitely believe there was a little of that. He never set for that ball to Clay, which was a rookie move, he just slung it... and over compensated on the next shot. 

Outside of of those two plays. He had drops, a bad no challenge, and an absolute joke of an oline. But the one thing I 100% saw was that the pressure did not make his scared to stand in the pocket which is huge. No throwing off the back foot, no bailing out immediately. You could almost see him forcing himself to stand in there...almost like he was making a point to trust it.

I don’t think at any point did he look like garbage. He did all that he could while being asked to wait on intermediate routes.

Show the kid a little love for having a pair!

Hate? Please.

So many of you people don't know what hate looks like. What you're seeing her is what happens when a guy looks like he's not ready yet.

Most people seem to feel that anything other than unqualified jock-sniffing fanboy love is hate. And that ain't so.

40 minutes ago, Steptide said:

No doubt his o line was puke, but HE DID hesitate and hold the ball too long as bad as Tyrod in a playoff game. He's young and new to this league. I'm sure he was fairly nervous. I think he will start at some point this season. But looking at things through un biased eyes, Peterman is just the better qb right now. 

Maybe, just maybe, the receivers weren't open?

I LOVED the Josh Allen pick, and I don't blame him at all for today, but I don't know if I want to see him get destroyed behind that line all season. With that said, I will be ok with whoever they name to be the starter for this season. Although I don't think it should be McCarron. 

Edited by DocLawless
  • Like (+1) 2

I was at the game, focusing on the WRs, TEs and RBs the first-half. Just like last week when McCarron was at the helm, the receivers were not getting any separation, often running into traffic. The TEs and RBs were trying to bloch and releasing late, giving nothing in the way check down options in time considering the paper-thin o-line. Oddly vanilla offense for the 1s each of the past two games now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DocLawless said:

I LOVED the Josh Allen pick, and I don't blame him at all for today, but I don't know if I want to see him get destroyed behind that line all season. With that said, I will be ok with whoever they name to be the starter for this season. Although I don't think it should be McCarron. 

With this O line at this point, NP gives you a quick release and I think he understands the playbook and the angles on D, and he can put the ball through a tire hanging from a tree on a rope 10-35 yards away.   These 5 things could get us to the playoffs again:  however, the O line has to become at least average.  Also, I'd take accuracy over being able to chunk it 60 yards.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoodHands15 said:

Ok enough is enough. No one is giving JA any credit for getting the $?!@ kicked out of him and getting back up—AND signaling Daboll to put him under center as opposed to the gun.

I needed to see Josh Allen get pummeled and not turn the ball over. He DID that. YOU SAW NERVES. I definitely believe there was a little of that. He never set for that ball to Clay, which was a rookie move, he just slung it... and over compensated on the next shot. 

Outside of of those two plays. He had drops, a bad no challenge, and an absolute joke of an oline. But the one thing I 100% saw was that the pressure did not make his scared to stand in the pocket which is huge. No throwing off the back foot, no bailing out immediately. You could almost see him forcing himself to stand in there...almost like he was making a point to trust it.

I don’t think at any point did he look like garbage. He did all that he could while being asked to wait on intermediate routes.

Show the kid a little love for having a pair!

The stage clearly isn't too big for the kid. Great silver lining from an ugly SCRIMMAGE game. 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ga boy said:

With this O line at this point, NP gives you a quick release and I think he understands the playbook and the angles on D, and he can put the ball through a tire hanging from a tree on a rope 10-35 yards away.   These 5 things could get us to the playoffs again:  however, the O line has to become at least average.  Also, I'd take accuracy over being able to chunk it 60 yards.  

What about the quick release we saw basically an entire half last week with a whole different play calling scheme?

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

You can't teach hate...it's that same fans that hated the pick when it happened.Blind is blind....

Hell I hated the pick and still think he got tossed to the wolves today.  No excuse for that poor of protection.  I even pointed out in the 1st half thread he was sacked in under 4 seconds with 7 blockers and only a 4 man rush.  You can't evaluate someone under those conditions.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Not true. Some things can be fixed. He will need to get to the line earlier, diagnose presnap, and get the ball out early. I didn’t see many easy throws like you see Brady commonly gets, mainly WR screens, misdirections and 3-step hitches. He just will need time to get a handle of things. Benching him will delay that process.

Benching rookies doesn't delay processes like this. You can learn nearly as well from the sideline, especially so when you're talking about a guy who doesn't know NFL defenses well yet.

And while we're already seeing choruses of "Allen only had long throws called for him while Peterman had shorter ones," it's far more likely that Peterman just better diagnosed what the defenses were giving him, made smarter and quicker reads and get the ball out quicker. Which is not surprising when you're comparing a second-year guy to a rookie before his first season has even started.

You can reach a point where you've learned about as much as you can learn from the sidelines and need to get in and play to make significant progress. That point is well over the horizon at this point.

And they're still facing mostly vanilla defenses as you'd expect in preseason games.

Edited by Thurman#1