Reality vs. hysteria

oldmanfan

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Reading a lot of hysteria about letting all our  vets go to accumulate picks, the season is doomed, and so on.  But similar concerns were raised last preseason and the reality is they made the playoffs.  

So removing the hysteria and focusing on reality:

1.  Middle of the O line is clearly the biggest team weakness.  I was very disappointed in Groy today, same with Miller, and Ducasse was just dominated.  A guy his size cannot just allow himself to be pushed straight back.  I expect Teller starts and Ducasse gets cut, maybe Miller as well, and that a C is targeted high in the draft next year.

2.  Allen is going to be good, but Peterman has to start.  He gets the ball out quickly which will have to be done with our O line.

3.  D will be OK.  Davis had a tough day but should be OK.  Pass rush was lacking but they didn't show everything in their packages.   And Edmunds will be a load soon.

4.  Clay is expendable.  Start Croom.

I expect we'll be active in trades or waiver wire for linemen.  And that while we may not be as good as last year we will not be the train wreck some are wringing their hands over.

Love the post, Indy.  I agree that people are overreacting, and I'm a little guilty of it, myself.

Our OL just looks abysmal.  Yet, at the same time, you're right--we looked terrible last preseason and still made the playoffs.

I'm still really excited about the regular season.  And I honestly still think McDermott still finds a way to build another successful season where we're very much in the Wildcard race at the very end of the season.  The offensive line just looked so bad, but one thing I'm also starting to wonder is you're #4.  Maybe Clay can be used as trade bait for a capable OL...? 

I don't think Charles Clay is very good.  He has and has always had a seriously difficult time catching the football.  I'd like to see us get some compensation for him, if possible, while keeping any combination of Croom, O'Leary, Thomas, and/or Khari Lee.

But yeah, I agree.  No reason to push the panic button. 

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

Clay will be gone soon  Contract Whaley designed was terrible especially given Clay already had knee issues  On the bright side Bills backup TE's look to have some talent  Croom looks intriguing

Yea, damn Whaley for locking up the guy who has been our top receiver. He looked bad, but he generally comes up big during the season. 

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be truthful, and not wanting to make excuses, but the Bengals were keying on our OL and getting off their line so quickly, that I wondered if they had some skinny on the Bills snap count or if Allen (or Groy/Bodine) has one helluva "tell" that they picked out on film.  Maybe AJ or Bodine could do a little sleuthing and find out.

The last game I've seen like it was the first half of the Denver-Carolina Superbowl when it seemed the Panthers center could barely snap the ball before someone in a Denver uniform was sitting in Newton's lap.

That Denver pass rush was incredible though.

Our oline just had their a**ess handed to them by the f*cking Cincinnati bungles.