Peterman Cumulative Preseason Stats

17 hours ago, MDH said:

his arm makes the room for error on that throw exceedingly narrow but he does have the arm to make it.

His accuracy problems are tied to arm strength, IMO.  He has to wind up and really drive it to make certain throws, which means everything has to be in sync--footwork, clean pocket, WR separation, etc.    He can do it occasionally, but not consistently. 

Which makes him look good enough to keep tantalizing a segment of the fan base, much like Fitz did.    Win a few games, lose a few games...

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

If Allen were putting up Peterman’s numbers then we would all be jumping for joy and slapping hands. But since he’s not the chosen one and didn’t light it up his first start as a rookie we can dismiss it.

Numbers aren’t the whole story. Is the goal to build a championship caliber team or to get by ? The franchise has been “ getting by” for all too long. Squeaking into the playoffs once every couple decades doesn’t cut it. We all see what Peterman does, but lets be honest. He doesn’t remind anyone of Jimmy Garropolo out there. If he did, the reaction would be far more enthusiastic. We’ve seen many of Petermans kind. I don’t blame Bills fans for being weary of watching these types of QBs play for their team. 

I really don't have a dog in this fight; I think whomever plays QB is going to have a difficult time because of the OL. I have to laugh though that people seemed pissed at Peterman because he's put up good numbers and hasn't fallen on his face. It's as though he is purposely not screwing up in an effort to deny Allen the job. Just seems a bit weird.

• Like (+1) 1

IMO these 2 throws demonstrate adequate NFL arm strength:

The one throw he has not been able to make is the curl/out routes to the far right sideline. And I'm not even sure arm strength is the main issue there. I think he stares down the receiver and the CBs are jumping the routes, which would happen for any QB regardless of their arm strength if they stared down the receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The one throw he has not been able to make is the curl/out routes to the far right sideline. And I'm not even sure arm strength is the main issue there. I think he stares down the receiver and the CBs are jumping the routes, which would happen for any QB regardless of their arm strength if they stared down the receiver.

Those are two easy on balance throws in clean pockets with no pressure.  It's when he's under duress in less than ideal circumstances where he must show growth at regular season game speeds when facing # 1 defenses.  

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But our residents TBD GM’s know all and that say Nate is bad. 

/sarcasm 

44 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Those are two easy on balance throws in clean pockets with no pressure.  It's when he's under duress in less than ideal circumstances where he must show growth at regular season game speeds when facing # 1 defenses.  

I would LOVE and pay to see you make those throws. 

Please quote this so 26 can read this as he is ignoring me.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

True enuf 26 but just maybe he can. Now he will get his chance to show just what he can do - and with ample preparation there should be no excuses. Of course we should probably also take into consideration that he won't be behind a solid offensive line throwing 10 yard crossing patterns to the likes of Rice and Taylor who then take it 90 yards to the house. 

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

We’ll see. I have a feeling we will be seeing some pick 6’s in a couple weeks. 

...not if you outlaw "outs"......kid certainly demonstrates improvements in reads/progressions and his quick release......I'd say "not too bad" for a FIFTH rounder in his SECOND pre-season......why being a round earlier than Brady, he SHOULD be better right?......just effin' amazing.............

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No those are not "easy throws." Let's be realistic. On the pass to Reilly it looks like that is his 3rd read and the ball is thrown within 3 seconds. That's excellent timing, reading the defense, and throwing the ball to a perfect spot. And sure I don't know yet how Peterman will respond when the d-line is getting pressure. But I'm pretty sure Allen isn't ready for that either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

No those are not "easy throws." Let's be realistic. On the pass to Reilly it looks like that is his 3rd read and the ball is thrown within 3 seconds. That's excellent timing, reading the defense, and throwing the ball to a perfect spot. And sure I don't know yet how Peterman will respond when the d-line is getting pressure. But I'm pretty sure Allen isn't ready for that either.

...nice assessment Happy.......:thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree. It looks to me like his arm is (not great but) NFL adequate - like Joe Montana, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning (2012-2014), Chad Pennington etc... adequate. If he fails lack of arm strength will not be the reason IMO. At the max of his range I think he can throw the ball 40-50 yards downfield if he has to. How many passes in a game travel more than 45 yards. Pre and post snap reads, the timing of throws, accuracy etc... are all more important. I think he will probably go as far as his smarts take him, which might be a long way. 

We can’t pass protect, and he gets the ball out fast. That’s how Brady survives (and NO, I’m not saying he’s Brady!).  I wish he had a stronger arm....and I could get that Charger game out of my mind. (But I can’t, no matter how hard I try!) 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No those are not "easy throws." Let's be realistic. On the pass to Reilly it looks like that is his 3rd read and the ball is thrown within 3 seconds. That's excellent timing, reading the defense, and throwing the ball to a perfect spot. 

That was a fantastic pass, he did a great job of looking the safety off. If Allen made that throw we would have a thread dedicated to that play.

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I agree. It looks to me like his arm is (not great but) NFL adequate - like Joe Montana, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning (2012-2014), Chad Pennington etc... adequate. 

Did you just lump Montana and Brees together with Pennington? Adequate??

Just now, QCity said:

That was a fantastic pass, he did a great job of looking the safety off. If Allen made that throw we would have a thread dedicated to that play.

Did you just lump Montana and Brees together with Pennington? Adequate??

Ok fair enuf, so Chad is the one example of a good NFL QB with maybe less than NFL adequate arm strength. Fact remains, two of the greatest ever QBs had only adequate arm strength. Nothing special. As well as other successful QBs. Peterman's arm strength looks to me to be adequate. Nothing more nothing less. 

Peterman has been awesome.  He has earned the job, by any measure.  And he has clearly worked hard in the offseason.

It’s really a no brainer.  Of course we all want to see our shiny new top 10 pick light it up, but the smart move is to let him sit and learn, and see if NP can keep this level of play going in real games.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He showed good ability to process information and make the throws. I'll give him that, but as I already stated they were without any pressure which is where he's shown the propensity to melt.  Allen has actually shown he can manuever in the pocket under pressure by sliding and climbing the ladder as evidenced by the TD throw last week against the Browns with pressure in his face at the onset.   It's something Bills' QBs may be facing often this season given the lack on talent on the OL. 

No expert here but an observation.  Looking at Nate throwing it often looks to me like he does not step into his throws very well.  His back almost appears arched upright or even a little rearward.  That for sure will reduce velocity.  Now he might be compensating a bit for his height, he's not a taller QB and so his launch point being a little lower might mean he releases the ball at a bit steeper angle.  Just looked at some Jim Kelly highlights on youtube.  There is a noticeable difference in the body position of the 2 QBs when throwing.  Jim definitely stepped into his throws more.

Edited by keepthefaith

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...not if you outlaw "outs"......kid certainly demonstrates improvements in reads/progressions and his quick release......I'd say "not too bad" for a FIFTH rounder in his SECOND pre-season......why being a round earlier than Brady, he SHOULD be better right?......just effin' amazing.............

No doubt. Certainly looks like a different player but you can just see CB’s sitting on those outs....