Why the hell didn't we address the OLINE?

Klaista2k

I said Bodine sucked as soon as the Bills signed him. Bengals fans were so glad when he left. I thought Groy would be serviceable, if that was his max effort he is in deep dodo. He looked like a rag doll all day.

I thought the line would be excited for the rookies first start. They went out there and got manhandled. 

4 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Maj may have something here.  I thought Miller was going to be better and he has regressed even more. 

Waiver wire and maybe a trade.  They have excess at RB, QB, TE, P, and S.  Package a player and a pick to try and find a serviceable G somewhere.

Yeah I am kinds Grasping a bit with Kicking Mills inside because no telling if that trasnition could happen. But I know he is OK at RT so maybe getting him in that phone booth he will excel ( ala Andy Levitre)

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Last year they also had Tyrod Taylor who was afraid to throw the football and Dennison whose play calling had many girlfriends & wives of posters able to predict the play pre snap! 

The problem is the communication imo.  Which is coachable. Woods was the big loss . He runs the line, calls the shifts ,etc and this QB and C competition didn't help  We now have 2 weeks to get some chemistry on that OL..

I know what we just witnessed was depressing, embarrassing and a disaster but McD clearly was shuffling the line mid game (another reason for the confusion, terrible communication) to make a final assessment . These factors won't be a problem week 1

The problem isn't just communication or lack thereof as it's more about lack of talent across the line. Dawkins looked decent last year because he had pro bowl Incognito next to him and this year he doesn't. Plus, now he probably needs to help whom ever is playing LG. 

You can't expect to replace three pro bowl players with backups/scrubs and have anywhere near the same success. Dawkins is about the only line player I have any hope for this season.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

The problem isn't just communication or lack thereof as it's more about lack of talent across the line. Dawkins looked decent last year because he had pro bowl Incognito next to him and this year he doesn't. Plus, now he probably needs to help whom ever is playing LG. 

You can't expect to replace three pro bowl players with backups/scrubs and have anywhere near the same success. Dawkins is about the only line player I have any hope for this season.

Dawkins didn't play for a reason. I'm guessing because the coaches know what he provides , and that's quality LT play. I'd bet the house the ol looks way different come week 1

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

I mean they tried... Just didn't have the money. We signed Newhouse and Bodine... and drafted Tellar. We tried to address it with what we had. Trading up twice in the first round hurt our draft picks we had.

Signing two guys ranked as one of the worst at their positions is not trying. Whaley was amazing at signings like that, and Beane is obviously lacking. They might want to hire a good pro personnel guy to help.

This is a complete FO failure. They knew about Eric. Addressed it with Bodine/Groy (thats fine with the way Groy looked). 

Then Richie went into Crazy mode and DID NADA there. 

Ducasse needed to be replaced anyway but with Richie doing off the reservation now two OGs were needed and they sat on thier hands. 

I also know it is year 2 of a rebuild and the playoffs where a gift last year. But once again i see similiar mistakes in how this team is being built yet again. 

1 hour ago, October 1918 said:

To point out the obvious, the interior of the O-line can't pass block at all. None of them. We can probably get by with Miller, but we're in big trouble at Center (they both suck) and left guard (ideally, we need Teller to win the job).

Between 2015-2017, the Bills generally had some good pieces to shore up the clunkers on the OL, namely Wood, Incognito, and Glenn.  That's how most NFL teams operate: better OLers help the lesser OLers play better.  The Bills problem is that they don't have ANY good OLers except perhaps Dion Dawkins, whose play has probably declined somewhat since he's no longer got Pro Bowler Richie Incognito playing inside him.

36 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Beane was not here for the 2017 draft.  Repeat, Beane was not here yet when they took Zay.   This is a recording..........

McDermott was, however.  Essentially, Whaley was a subservient to both Ryan and McDermott, especially in the draft.   Just as Ryan dictated to Whaley, so McDermott dictated to Whaley.   Maybe Beane is subservient to McDermott or maybe they're on the same wavelength.  Obviously, the current Bills regime, however it's structured, doesn't care much, if at all, about the offensive side of the ball.

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Bean overpaid for the two #1's.....gave up a slew of 2's and 3's that could have rebuilt some positions of need like OL.  imho.

But the fan base demanded the organization to rid of Taylor and begin a new chapter,yet again,with a fresh young QB.We can't have our cake and eat it too,since we are not the queen of England.It's part of the process,I guess.We have a full set of picks next April and about 70 million in savings.Rome wasn't built overnight.We have many holes on this team ,there was no way we could have filled all of them..especially because we never planned to be without Wood and Richie.....those two key losses were our offensive "Death Blow"

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Dawkins didn't play for a reason. I'm guessing because the coaches know what he provides , and that's quality LT play. I'd bet the house the ol looks way different come week 1

The Buffalo Bills had one of the very best left tackles in the league in Jason Peters and yet the line still stunk because he is only one player and can really only help himself and perhaps help out the LG somewhat. 

The main problem with the line against the starting defenses the last two games was not at LT but mostly at OC, OG positions and the overall line actually managed to run the ball at times. That will stop once teams stack the box to stop the run and dare to beat them with the pass. Plus, last time I looked the Bengals and Browns didn't field a top ten defense.

If Bills fans think things look bleak now just wait until they play the Ravens, Chargers, Vikings to start the season.

26 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The Buffalo Bills had one of the very best left tackles in the league in Jason Peters and yet the line still stunk because he is only one player and can really only help himself and perhaps help out the LG somewhat. 

The main problem with the line against the starting defenses the last two games was not at LT but mostly at OC, OG positions and the overall line actually managed to run the ball at times. That will stop once teams stack the box to stop the run and dare to beat them with the pass. Plus, last time I looked the Bengals and Browns didn't field a top ten defense.

If Bills fans think things look bleak now just wait until they play the Ravens, Chargers, Vikings to start the season.

Solid points. Nonetheless , I guess you put way more into scrimmages than I do. 

The same Chargers team that looked far worse than the Bills and lost 34-7 in their scrimmage? Since you're basing so much off of our game, shouldn't the same be done for them?  

You'd think after last year when this board had the same predictions for a 9 win Bills team , you'd learn.. It's the NFL my man , imo I think McDermott is too good a coach to field an awful team 

3 hours ago, October 1918 said:

To point out the obvious, the interior of the O-line can't pass block at all. None of them. We can probably get by with Miller, but we're in big trouble at Center (they both suck) and left guard (ideally, we need Teller to win the job).

There was one early in the game, may have been the first one, Groy looked like a high school kid playing in his first game. It was embarrassing to watch.

A lot of smart people have said a lot of smart things on this subject and most are correct, but the bottom line

is the OL is broken and can't or won't be fixed this year, but stop talking about next year. The NFL is a now league. 

We may run out of QBs before the season is half over. This line couldn't protect my mother.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Foreigner said:

A lot of smart people have said a lot of smart things on this subject and most are correct, but the bottom line

is the OL is broken and can't or won't be fixed this year, but stop talking about next year. The NFL is a now league. 

We may run out of QBs before the season is half over. This line couldn't protect my mother.

Let's see what happens when the league makes their 53 man roster cuts next week.  There will be a handful of serviceable veteran O lineman across the league who get released because their particular team decides to go with a younger, cheaper player that they feel can step in and do the job.  We don't need a long term solution on the O-line right now, we just need a serviceable stop gap player (or three).  An older vet(s) with a little bit of gas left in the tank might be able to step in and help us out this year.

I think Buffalo will be an attractive destination for a vet with a year or two of playing time left because Buffalo will offer the one thing that most other places won't... playing time.  Is this situation optimal?  Hell no...  Is it probably our best chance to bolster the O-line before we get all three of our QBs killed?  Hell yes...

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

I'm sure things will be better with Dawkins playing but we'd be naive to think we'd get a franchise QB and Pro Bowl OL in the same year

Why? Edmunds is supposed to be ProBowl MLB in the future.  Do you think ProBowl players only come in the first round?