Why the hell didn't we address the OLINE?

Klaista2k

Just now, Nihilarian said:

Losing Eric Wood and not properly replacing him s the problem and until they do replace him with equal or better talent this team will suffer. 

Not having a Center/QB combo nailed down by now is also a huge problem and I'm sure was a factor today. I think we'll figure it out. Looked Very vanilla . Really missed Dawkins

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I do think the OL will perform better come regular season.  

-For one thing, we’ll be running the ball more.  

-Hopefully the OL gels a bit more over the coming weeks leading up to Game 1.  

-Daboll can gameplan to hide weaknesses, instead of being in evaluation mode.  

-Dawkins and Shady will help.  

That being said... That first half today drained about 90% of my optimism for this season.  Now we get to hold our breath and hope the OL isn’t a dumpster fire and preseason Peterman is the real Peterman, not SD Nate.  We’ll know soon enough with Baltimore, San Diego and Minnesota defenses out the gate. 

Biggest worry - The “up the gut” pressure needs to get fixed and I don’t know how you do that without changing personnel or having said personnel man up. 

This is a pipe dream as defenses will stack the box and blitz the weakest links. You know, like the Chargers did against Peterman last year. 

The first three teams are the Ravens, the Chargers, the Vikings and I wonder if the Bills will have run out of starting QB's by then. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Totally agree, this team and the future would of looked good with a OC, OG and OT on rookie contracts taken in rounds 2 and 3.     Beane can be as loose as Whaley with trading away picks.

Those picks were needed in order to get the 7th pick to get Josh Allen

What would you have done?

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Can't judge anything period imo. Our stud, one of the best playmakers in the league didn't play. Our potential stud LT didn't play. 

No Kyle/Murphy. A very vanilla defense.

I do agree with OL concerns but again , they could and should look completely different in Bmore. The staff is fully aware of the situation and will game plan accordingly.

I still don't think we can be any worse than last year

Last year the team had pro bowlers in Wood, Incognito and still stunk at times.

Think back to 2010 and starting 0-8, finishing 4-12 and the only reason the team won four games is because Buddy Nix was able to pull Erik Pears and Kraig Urbk off the waiver wire to stop the jailbreaks. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Those picks were needed in order to get the 7th pick to get Josh Allen

What would you have done?

Well... if we are going to start second guessing ourselves, maybe Edmunds was a luxury that we couldn't afford this year...

Edited by Aussie Joe

6 minutes ago, Mij yllek said:

One way to get way under the salary cap is to cut all 5 starting O linemen and replace them with turnstiles. Less money, same result.

Is our starting OL making that much money?

Dawkins (would we really cut him.....playing well....second round pick)

Decausse (I will give you this one...not worth whatever he is making

Groy (making peanuts) Bodine (Not making that much)

Miller (not making that much)

Mills (not making that much)

Are you talking like starting street free agents or something?

Just now, Nihilarian said:

Last year the team had pro bowlers in Wood, Incognito and still stunk at times.

Think back to 2010 and starting 0-8, finishing 4-12 and the only reason the team won four games is because Buddy Nix was able to pull Erik Pears and Kraig Urbk off the waiver wire to stop the jailbreaks. 

Last year they also had Tyrod Taylor who was afraid to throw the football and Dennison whose play calling had many girlfriends & wives of posters able to predict the play pre snap! 

The problem is the communication imo.  Which is coachable. Woods was the big loss . He runs the line, calls the shifts ,etc and this QB and C competition didn't help  We now have 2 weeks to get some chemistry on that OL..

I know what we just witnessed was depressing, embarrassing and a disaster but McD clearly was shuffling the line mid game (another reason for the confusion, terrible communication) to make a final assessment . These factors won't be a problem week 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So who would we have starting at MLB?

Some free agent scrub like Bowman?

Maybe re-signed Preston another year?

Neither one is a great option either mind you but the OL is looking ominous...

To be honest though, - I loved the pick of Edmunds at the time so not really trying now to backtrack from that .

Just wondering aloud if perhaps they could have gone in another direction....

Edited by Aussie Joe

My Solution on addressing the OL with what is currently open to them. 

1.  Fire Juan

2.  Fire Juan

LT - Dawkins

LG - Teller

C - Groy (have to live with this at this point)

RG - Mills (can run block with power so maybe taking him out of space and in a phone booth it helps

RT - Newhouse 

4.  Go back to points 1 and 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

This line is not very good at pass blocking right now. When the Bills offense gets in 3rd and long situations Daboll is going to have to be very creative. 

If the offense can keep the defense guessing then they will be ok for this season. Not good. 

Address the center position first and then the other guard position in the off season. If they can find a right tackle in FA so be it. 

Today had some to do with the Bills wanting to get Allen reps throwing against a first team D. Cincy is a good D too. Allen held up well. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

My Solution on addressing the OL with what is currently open to them. 

1.  Fire Juan

2.  Fire Juan

LT - Dawkins

LG - Teller

C - Groy (have to live with this at this point)

RG - Mills (can run block with power so maybe taking him out of space and in a phone booth it helps

RT - Newhouse 

4.  Go back to points 1 and 2. 

Maj may have something here.  I thought Miller was going to be better and he has regressed even more. 

Waiver wire and maybe a trade.  They have excess at RB, QB, TE, P, and S.  Package a player and a pick to try and find a serviceable G somewhere.

1 minute ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Because Beane fell in love with Edmunds and Zay Jones and pissed away our extra picks he got for pissing away the talent they already had on the team.  

Beane was not here for the 2017 draft.  Repeat, Beane was not here yet when they took Zay.   This is a recording..........

• Haha (+1) 1