Why the hell didn't we address the OLINE?

Klaista2k

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

No money, and they needed to draft a franchise QB.  They have the most dead money in the NFL this season. This is year two of a tear down / rebuild project. Making the playoffs in the teardown year doesn’t change that. 

No money? Where did all that money we gave to Star come from then? Thank god they spent a boatload on him to protect our huge investment at QB right?

No? Well at least he's going to be a dominant force on defense right? Hmmm.... about that.... 

Ok, at least we used our other 1st round pick on someone who will help Allen right?! What? We used it on a 19 year old LB??? Ok....this is starting to look like we had options, but decided O-line wasn't the priority -_-

Edited by BigDingus
  • Haha (+1) 1

Our Centers are terrible, Hell we should probably give Redmond a chance.

At Guard, get rid of Ducasse and bump up Teller & Boettger, Miller might still be alright.

Marshall Newhouse has no business being on this team. He sucks. Was Dawkins injured?

15 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Bean overpaid for the two #1's.....gave up a slew of 2's and 3's that could have rebuilt some positions of need like OL.  imho.

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I mean they tried... Just didn't have the money. We signed Newhouse and Bodine... and drafted Tellar. We tried to address it with what we had. Trading up twice in the first round hurt our draft picks we had.

Let's look at some facts.

Over $115 million dollars of Free Agency contracts were awarded to new Bills players this year.

$8 million went to OL

Even IF you want to say the Bills used the 2 1st rounder's they had on "other" impact players they passed on drafting OL

with the next 3 picks. 

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

No money? Where did all that money we gave to Star come from then? Thank god they spent a boatload on him to protect our huge investment at QB right?

No? Well at least he's going to be a dominant force on defense right? Hmmm.... about that.... 

Ok, at least we used our other 1st round pick on someone who will help Allen right?! What? We used it on a 19 year old LB??? Ok....this is starting to look like we had options, but decided O-line was the priority -_-

Does this surprise you with a D minded coach? He wants to run his defense, we’ll see if it’s any good. They obviously felt they’d wait on the OL until next offseason. It’s not looking good thus far, but who knows ? Bottom line , it wasn’t ALL getting done in one offseason. The plan may have been to redshirt Allen for half the year or more anyway. 

20 minutes ago, GoodHands15 said:

I think they thought they had enough to get by. Clearly not.

today's first half with Allen look no different than last year's Charger game with Peterman, minus the picks. They were a disgrace today. Replace Miller with Teller. Groy hardly shined today. Ducasse got manhandled. And what's really frustrating is these same guys did somewhat decent on run-blocking. Unfortunately none of them have any clue how to pass protect.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Bean overpaid for the two #1's.....gave up a slew of 2's and 3's that could have rebuilt some positions of need like OL.  imho.

We are now getting a glimpse of Beane's team. Just about all of the Whaley guys are gone. Beane has created a lot of holes foolishly giving away picks. Now he will have to build a team on his own. We have not outplayed anyone's first team yet this preseason. This may be a long season.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Over $115 million dollars of Free Agency contracts were awarded to new Bills players this year.

$8 million went to OL

Even IF you want to say the Bills used the 2 1st rounder's they had on "other" impact players they passed on drafting OL

with the next 3 picks. 

So they decided to get a QB and add to the defense this year. Next year will be the O, with a more experienced Allen. This team wasn’t going to be a one year quickie rebuild post Doug Whaley. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Does this surprise you with a D minded coach? He wants to run his defense, we’ll see if it’s any good. They obviously felt they’d wait on the OL until next offseason. It’s not looking good thus far, but who knows ? Bottom line , it wasn’t ALL getting done in one offseason. The plan may have been to redshirt Allen for half the year or more anyway. 

A D-minded coach that went into his first draft hellbent on acquiring picks for a QB of the future, then spent the rest of the season making cap room, acquiring more picks, and setting up the franchise for that QB... Then went into his 2nd off season focused on doing what it takes to trade up, again to draft a QB...

Then, upon trading away our LT for a high pick, realizing "oh, our 2 other BEST O-linemen just left....now we have more holes....what have I been preparring for again? Oh right, a rookie QB. What does a rookie QB need? Protection? Ehhhh.....f*** it. Let's spend more picks on defense!" 

NOBODY is saying "ALL" needs to get done in one offseason, but surely, you're not stupid enough to think ignoring the MASSIVE O-line problem while simultaneously going all-in on a rookie QB since day-1 was a smart idea..... If you honestly believe ignoring the O-line, while the best players on our O-line leave, while planning to invest in a 1st round QB is a smart idea, you are absolutely insane.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

$8 million went to OL

with the next 3 picks. 

Yeah and we weren't gonna get a guranteed starter with those next three selections. And we still needed a nickle Corner. At that point in draft your just not gonna draft a starter... That's the point to add depth and that's what we did. 

Watching games last year it was clear that QB, DT, and WR were our biggest needs. We addressed two of the positions. We had so many holes to fill that you can't fill them all in one offseason. It's impossible. Especially when we traded up in first twice.  I'm sure OLine and WR and gonna be addressed in next off-season or at trade deadline.

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

A D-minded coach that went into his first draft hellbent on acquiring picks for a QB of the future, then spent the rest of the season making cap room, acquiring more picks, and setting up the franchise for that QB... Then went into his 2nd off season focused on doing what it takes to trade up, again to draft a QB...

Then, upon trading away our LT for a high pick, realizing "oh, our 2 other BEST O-linemen just left....now we have more holes....what have I been preparring for again? Oh right, a rookie QB. What does a rookie QB need? Protection? Ehhhh.....f*** it. Let's spend more picks on defense!" 

NOBODY is saying "ALL" needs to get done in one offseason, but surely, you're not stupid enough to think ignoring the MASSIVE O-line problem while simultaneously going all-in on a rookie QB since day-1 was a smart idea..... If you honestly believe ignoring the O-line, while the best players on our O-line leave, while planning to invest in a 1st round QB is a smart idea, you are absolutely insane.

Wrong!  

I'm sure Coach McDermott would never say "f*** it".

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Yeah and we weren't gonna get a guranteed starter with those next three selections. And we still needed a nickle Corner. At that point in draft your just not gonna draft a starter... That's the point to add depth and that's what we did. 

Watching games last year it was clear that QB, DT, and WR were our biggest needs. We addressed two of the positions. We had so many holes to fill that you can't fill them all in one offseason. It's impossible. Especially when we traded up in first twice.  I'm sure OLine and WR and gonna be addressed in next off-season or at trade deadline.

Hold on Kmart, don't get mad at me.  I've been saying in every OL thread this offseason that Beane and McDermott have chose not to

address the OL situation at all this year.

I also said if the OL "blows" which causes the entire offense to play bad then so be it.

I got replies (and Dingus did too because both of us talk a lot about the OL) like:

Conor McDermott is great and will be the starting RT.

Miller is going to have a breakout year at LG.

etc.

Click on the Spotrac link to see how low at #32 the Bills OL really is, if you want to.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

I do think the OL will perform better come regular season.  

-For one thing, we’ll be running the ball more.  

-Hopefully the OL gels a bit more over the coming weeks leading up to Game 1.  

-Daboll can gameplan to hide weaknesses, instead of being in evaluation mode.  

-Dawkins and Shady will help.  

That being said... That first half today drained about 90% of my optimism for this season.  Now we get to hold our breath and hope the OL isn’t a dumpster fire and preseason Peterman is the real Peterman, not SD Nate.  We’ll know soon enough with Baltimore, San Diego and Minnesota defenses out the gate. 

Biggest worry - The “up the gut” pressure needs to get fixed and I don’t know how you do that without changing personnel or having said personnel man up. 

Edited by SCBills