Why the hell didn't we address the OLINE?

Klaista2k

20 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Let's see what happens when the league make their 53 man roster cuts next week.  There will be a handful of serviceable veteran O lineman across the league who get released because their particular team decides to go with a younger, cheaper player that they feel can step in and do the job.  We don't need a long term solution on the O-line right now, we just need a serviceable stop gap player (or three).  An older vet(s) with a little bit of gas left in the tank might be able to step in and help us out this year.

I think Buffalo will be an attractive destination for a vet with a year or two of playing time left because Buffalo will offer the one thing that most other places won't... playing time.  Is this situation optimal?  Hell no...  Is it probably our best chance to bolster the O-line before we get all three of our QBs killed?  Hell yes...

Im not ducking flying pigs just yet....but I will say that it is frustrating that my eye sees Decausse is absolutely dreadful....and for a guy his size gets on roller skates as soon as he faces a quality interior linemen.....its pretty bad.   If a OG is cut that has ANYTHING left I hope we are making a serious play for him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I mean they tried... Just didn't have the money. We signed Newhouse and Bodine... and drafted Tellar. We tried to address it with what we had. Trading up twice in the first round hurt our draft picks we had.

lol none of those players make the bench for a majority of NFL teams buddy 

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Trouble is there won’t be any cuts until the week before the regular season, most likely. Not much time to work anyone in. This line looks like it could be as bad as the ‘97 Bills with Clod Tollins at QB.  Man, that OL was putrid. 

Agree 100% Boatdrinks...   Even if we can snag a couple decent free agents after the cut downs it will take time for them to gel.  That's why I'm hoping that they keep Allen on the sidelines for the first few weeks and let Peterman take the reins.  I think Peterman won the starting job outright anyways. (don't want to start an argument about that point here)  As for the value of what Peterman has won, that's another matter all together.  He may have won himself a First Class ticket to injured reserve with our current O-line...

Edited by Inigo Montoya

9 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Agree 100% Boatdrinks...   Even if we can snag a couple decent free agents after the cut downs it will take time for them to gel.  That's why I'm hoping that they keep Allen on the sidelines for the first few weeks and let Peterman take the reins.  I think Peterman won the starting job outright anyways. (don't want to start an argument about that point here)  As for the value of what Peterman has won, that's another matter all together.  He may have won himself a First Class ticket to injured reserve with our current O-line...

I think there is a arguement to be made that Peterman has done enough to earn the start against Baltimore......he is obviously improved over his play last year and behind what looks like worse protection.

This should not be a knock against Allen....whos time is going to come.....Peterman's QB rating has been outstanding.....I worry about certain passes because he floats them bad but he makes quick decisions....is accurate....and gets the ball out on a 2 to 3 step drop.

Let the OL get worked out and start Peterman......Nathan Peterman is going to be an excellent backup QB for us when Josh steps onto the field as the starter.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Yeezus said:

lol none of those players make the bench for a majority of NFL teams buddy 

What are you talking about? Bodine has been a starter for the Bengals for 4 years and never missed a game... He was never on a bench let alone never didn't make the bench. Newhouse was a starter last year for the Raiders and has been a starter on 4 different teams... You say they wouldn't even make an NFL bench when they've been starters throughout their careers. I'm not saying they are good starters but saying they wouldn't even make an NFL bench is laughable buddy.

• Like (+1) 1

1.  We didn't have much cap space, so all of our Free Agent signings were bargain-bin castoffs.  Specifically Russell Bodine to replace Eric Wood at Center, and Marshall Newhouse to compete with Jordan Mills at Right Tackle.

2.  Eric Wood's retirement was unexpected.  But at least it happened in January.  The Ritchie Incognito retirement was an even bigger shock, and didn't happen until the earl/mid of April.  By that point, the team was already wrapping up Free Agency and looking towards the draft.

3.  The Bills used their premium Day 1 picks on their two biggest needs.  Quarterback and Middle Linebacker.  Nobody can fault them for that. 

4.  Their next picks were used to fill Defensive Tackle, Cornerback and Wide Receiver, which were also massively huge needs.  They finally followed that up with O-Line, getting guard Wyatt Teller.  By that point, we were already through the 5th Round of the Draft.

We only had so many resources.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Coaching can only get you so far if you don't have talent.

The Bills lacked talent last year but they didn't turn the ball over and were efficient on offense(thanks to whipping boy Tyrod Taylor) and an opportunistic defense.(better coaching from McDermott)

The offensive line lost two solid interior linemen and replaced them with worse players and Tyrods gone. 

They will lose 10 to 12 games this year, IMO.

I agree as Bills fans need to think of this season of 16 games with Peterman playing last years Chargers game over and over. The Bills have played the Bengals, Browns so far and neither are near the level of the Vikings, Chargers or Ravens defense wise. Scary stuff.

OTOH, If an assclown like Buddy Nix can find Pears and Urbik off of the waiver wire in 2010 to save the season I suspect Beane can do even better. This team is desperate for a quality center and two guards. That right tackle position could stand to be upgraded too. JMHO

If this FO wants to save this season and their new franchise QB, Beane had better move heaven and earth to make a trade somehow. 

5 hours ago, jahbonas said:

Its the price of trading up for Josh Allen.  Traded away LT Gordy Glenn  and then traded away 2 picks in rd2 that could provided OL help

They traded Tyrod so Allen was a must. Besides Glenn is already injured again. 

I'm not going to fault this FO for going after Edmunds but that is the pick that could have translated into some quality O linemen. 

Bodine is a depth player at best from anything i have read from a Bengals site the job should be Groys to loose & just for the simple fact that Mills, & Ducasse are still pencilled in as starters makes me wonder about the competency of Castillo as the O line coach !!

He's not shown anything in a while that can prove he is a coach they need to keep to move into the future they are striving for I hope they can see that sooner rather than later !! 

Ducasse & Mills need to be traded out for Teller & Gerhard or the other guy they picked up from NE's practice squad if they are going to be bad on the O line don't let it be because of a vet that has a proven bad playing history go with a kid that could have a higher potential ... At least that way they have the excuse of the unknown on their side !! 

On 8/27/2018 at 1:05 PM, Nihilarian said:

I agree as Bills fans need to think of this season of 16 games with Peterman playing last years Chargers game over and over. The Bills have played the Bengals, Browns so far and neither are near the level of the Vikings, Chargers or Ravens defense wise. Scary stuff.

OTOH, If an assclown like Buddy Nix can find Pears and Urbik off of the waiver wire in 2010 to save the season I suspect Beane can do even better. This team is desperate for a quality center and two guards. That right tackle position could stand to be upgraded too. JMHO

If this FO wants to save this season and their new franchise QB, Beane had better move heaven and earth to make a trade somehow. 

They traded Tyrod so Allen was a must. Besides Glenn is already injured again. 

I'm not going to fault this FO for going after Edmunds but that is the pick that could have translated into some quality O linemen. 

As an option to Allen -  Teddy Bridgewater was there and could have decided to go Bridgewater & Peterman  and then have a 1st  & 2   2nds  to add  (2 OL & 1 LB)

17 hours ago, jahbonas said:

As an option to Allen -  Teddy Bridgewater was there and could have decided to go Bridgewater & Peterman  and then have a 1st  & 2   2nds  to add  (2 OL & 1 LB)

Don't get wrong here as I love the Allen pick and was advocating for him long before many were even aware of him. I just don't care to see him ruined before he has a chance to develop. Allen was the right pick it's just that he is a bit of a project and needs some time to develop or a very stout line/run game to help him develop quicker.

As of now, it looks like the Bills have neither as teams will stack the box to stop the run and force the pass...then blitz when they do pass.  Peterman should start the season as QB. 

Beane needs to do some magic and conjure up a quality center, left/right guard, and right tackle. What's crazy is Dawkins was drafted to replace Mills at RT because he was a liability and now the weaker links are the inside linemen.

As for Bridgewater, he was an unknown due to his severe knee injury and nobody knows if he will ever hold up in a 16 game season. 

In response to the topic title "Why the hell didn't we address the O-Line?" 

First, consider the cap situation this year. It's terrible for the Bills, who are still paying a lot of dead cap space. It gets better next year. 

Second, last year and this, the Bills need:

QB, at least a couple if not 3 LB positions, all DL positions, backup RB, WRs, P, and then ... 2 pro bowl O-linemen retire. 

You can't fix the train wreck Whaley left behind in a year. They upgraded the LB some. They have a QB to groom. They tried to fix DL with limited cap hit with Star and Murphy. They got a decent RB. 

The WRs and OL got the least attention, not because they don't matter, but because there's only so much you can do. 

This rebuild of the dreck left behind by Whaley is going to take 3-4 years and in those years, we're going to see a lot of Star and Murphy types in and out as the Bills try to manage the cap.