Why the hell didn't we address the OLINE?

Klaista2k

23 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

No money? Where did all that money we gave to Star come from then? Thank god they spent a boatload on him to protect our huge investment at QB right?

No? Well at least he's going to be a dominant force on defense right? Hmmm.... about that.... 

Ok, at least we used our other 1st round pick on someone who will help Allen right?! What? We used it on a 19 year old LB??? Ok....this is starting to look like we had options, but decided O-line wasn't the priority -_-

I questioned the wisdom of Beane throwing away a pro bowl left tackle. At the very least the tackles would be solid and they could concentrate on the interior. 

I also don't see how switching out Dareus for Louteleli was a good move. 

17 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Yeah and we weren't gonna get a guranteed starter with those next three selections. And we still needed a nickle Corner. At that point in draft your just not gonna draft a starter... That's the point to add depth and that's what we did. 

Watching games last year it was clear that QB, DT, and WR were our biggest needs. We addressed two of the positions. We had so many holes to fill that you can't fill them all in one offseason. It's impossible. Especially when we traded up in first twice.  I'm sure OLine and WR and gonna be addressed in next off-season or at trade deadline.

Beane CREATED those holes at DT and WR by getting rid of starters for chump change. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I mean they tried... Just didn't have the money. We signed Newhouse and Bodine... and drafted Tellar. We tried to address it with what we had. Trading up twice in the first round hurt our draft picks we had.

And they didn't count on losing Cog after FA was basically over, and even Woods, admittedly they did have time to address that spot which they did with Bodine.  So far hasn't worked too well.

I'll wait for the real games to start though as can recall last pre-season people were saying the same thing.  The first half of the season they were still shaky, but by Nov/Dec they were holding their own.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Hold on Kmart, don't get mad at me.  I've been saying in every OL thread this offseason that Beane and McDermott have chose not to

address the OL situation at all this year.

I also said if the OL "blows" which causes the entire offense to play bad then so be it.

I got replies (and Dingus did too because both of us talk a lot about the OL) like:

Conor McDermott is great and will be the starting RT.

Miller is going to have a breakout year at LG.

etc.

Click on the Spotrac link to see how low at #32 the Bills OL really is, if you want to.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

Well we shall see... I do think our starting unit is bad. But at the same time I think that this OLine is deeper than it has ever been. I just think it's about finding the right combination. Groy playing Guard with Bodine at Center seemed to be our best lineup today... Miller and Ducasse both played terrible. I'd like to sign Alex Boone and maybe go with a lineup  of

LT- Dawkins

LG- Groy

?C- Bodine

RG- Boone

RT- Mills

Think that kind of lineup would get us by for awhile

28 minutes ago, VADC Bills said:

We are now getting a glimpse of Beane's team. Just about all of the Whaley guys are gone. Beane has created a lot of holes foolishly giving away picks. Now he will have to build a team on his own. We have not outplayed anyone's first team yet this preseason. This may be a long season.

I think we far outplayed Caolina's 1st team.

33 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

No money, and they needed to draft a franchise QB.  They have the most dead money in the NFL this season. This is year two of a tear down / rebuild project. Making the playoffs in the teardown year doesn’t change that. 

Please stop interrupting the hysteria with your common sense.

40 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I've only been talking about this all offseason...but this board seems to think you can throw in 5 scrubs to start as long as you have a 1st round QB behind your line.

I really don't get why fans do this every year. Nobody cares about the O-line until they see how it gets us destroyed. Suddenly everyone cares when they realize our QB is getting smacked around week after week, our RB is getting stuffed in the backfield 1 second after the ball is snapped, and we start racking up loss after loss.

It's happened so many times in the past 20 years, it blows my mind. I feel like Bills fans should be intimately acquainted with the importance of a good O-line at this point...especially after we've seen so many QB's get eaten alive behind such garbage ones.

You're right, you can't. But since it was clear since the 2017 draft the Bill were loading up to take a QB in the 1st round, perhaps they should've spent some time planning on how to protect him as the #2 priority....

First of all....Dawkins is not a scrub

Second.....we are going through the pain year of a dead cap season...EVERYONE knows that this OL was going to suffer

Third....nobody listens to you

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well we shall see... I do think our starting unit is bad. But at the same time I think that this OLine is deeper than it has ever been. I just think it's about finding the right combination. Groy playing Guard with Bodine at Center seemed to be our best lineup today... Miller and Ducasse both played terrible. I'd like to sign Alex Boone and maybe go with a lineup  of

LT- Dawkins

LG- Groy

?C- Bodine

RG- Boone

RT- Mills

Think that kind of lineup would get us by for awhile

I wanted them to sign Boone months ago.

We shall see if Beane thinks he needs to address the OL.

11 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I questioned the wisdom of Beane throwing away a pro bowl left tackle. At the very least the tackles would be solid and they could concentrate on the interior. 

I also don't see how switching out Dareus for Louteleli was a good move. 

Beane CREATED those holes at DT and WR by getting rid of starters for chump change. 

Watkins would have been gone now with nothing at all in return.

Dareus, agree better WHEN he fels like showing up. And hopefully doesn't get suspended again for something stupid that he does.

33 minutes ago, TPS said:

Dawkins would've helped a little. They are a decent run blocking group, which is why they need someone who gets the ball out quick.

Doubt it, the pressure was right up the middle. One of the worst interior performances I have seen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

They are going to have to get some help on defense next year as well.

Pass rush is still bad and LBs are questionable.  Another starting corner opposite White will be needed as well.

Hopefully they hit on Murphy and Star. If those guys both struggle then McBeane will have their hands full next offseason.

No doubt. The pass rush has been undetectable thus far this ps. It’s a talent starved roster all around. 

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Bean overpaid for the two #1's.....gave up a slew of 2's and 3's that could have rebuilt some positions of need like OL.  imho.

Totally agree, this team and the future would of looked good with a OC, OG and OT on rookie contracts taken in rounds 2 and 3.     Beane can be as loose as Whaley with trading away picks.

It's a new coaching staff and they don't know what they don't know...

It took Dick Jauron watching NT Kriss Jenkins manhandle three Bills players by himself and still sack the QB before they drafted Eric Wood in the first round and Andy Levitre in the second. Meanwhile, they didn't replace a top OT in Jason Peters until Buddy Nix drafted Cordy Glenn with a second round pick.

These new coaching staffs learn as they go as McD knows defense so that is where he wants to put most of his marbles. What these men don't comprehend is that it takes five top linemen to make a solid, cohesive offensive line good enough to allow the team to win playoff games. Not to mention quality backup linemen in case of injuries. This current roster has neither! 

9 minutes ago, billspro said:

Doubt it, the pressure was right up the middle. One of the worst interior performances I have seen.

Losing Eric Wood and not properly replacing him s the problem and until they do replace him with equal or better talent this team will suffer. 

45 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

can’t judgae anything fro this game other than this season is up in the air right now 

Can't judge anything period imo. Our stud, one of the best playmakers in the league didn't play. Our potential stud LT didn't play. 

No Kyle/Murphy. A very vanilla defense.

I do agree with OL concerns but again , they could and should look completely different in Bmore. The staff is fully aware of the situation and will game plan accordingly. I still don't think we can be any worse than last year