What wins Josh the job today?

Virgil

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'd like to see him pick up chunk yardage on intermediate throws where he hits players in stride that have strong YAC opportunities. I don't need to see 60 yard hero-ball throws. Basically, can he take over drives and move the ball down the field at will.

..."short and intermediate" seem to be the perceived weaknesses advertised here because of his arm strength....those are more of a finesse, timing throw.......think you're right that Daboll's game plan focuses on this ...just my hunch..........

Number 1 thing Allen has to show is trustworthiness.

He has to look like he is in control and isn't going to make mistakes which hand victory to the opponent.

If the coaching staff can trust him, he'll start in Baltimore.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..."short and intermediate" seem to be the perceived weaknesses advertised here because of his arm strength....those are more of a finesse, timing throw.......think you're right that Daboll's game plan focuses on this ...just my hunch..........

To be fair, I guess I also want to see if Daboll understands this is how elite teams play in the NFL. It seems like for 20 years we've been running a curl-flats-bomb strategy, and it's just been miserable to live through.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

To be fair, I guess I also want to see if Daboll understands this is how elite teams play in the NFL. It seems like for 20 years we've been running a curl-flats-bomb strategy, and it's just been miserable to live through.

...nice assessment...thanks for sharing.....:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...ironically, he's "on par" with the "other Josh"......and Lamar who was highy touted here along with "I'd take him at #12" posts is at 41%........takes time............

Does that count drops and spiked balls?

2 hours ago, hemma said:

Move the chains, red zone efficiency, score points. 

Three scores (13 pts) would do it, I think.

Yes, essentially what he did the last game would help lock it up.  It's not the big play he needs to show, it's the ability to sustain drives and operate the O.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I have to admit that I'm pretty excited about the game today as I think it will make the decision as to who will be our starting QB.  In my opinion, I think the coaches know what they have in Peterman, so it's Josh's job to change their mind and overall his job to lose.

With that being said, I know that it's not about statistics, but it kinda is.  Results matter.  Peterman was almost lights out in his performances so far, but Josh is the known future so a tie goes to the Rookie.

For me, if Josh is playing with the starters for the entire first half and shown good prep all week, I think anything about 60% completion with 140+ yards and 1+ scoring drives makes Josh our week 1 starter.  Obviously there will be other factors, but if that's the result, I believe it's his.

If he does win it, I will make my formal apology for Daboll and Josh for all the terrible things I said at their hiring and drafting.

Its not about a stat line 

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Its not about a stat line 

..the whole damn thing is a conundrum for me (as expected).....is today's Allen performance the deciding lynch pin for McD?........if Allen shines, is it a done deal?.......or with McD's continual TC QB rotation, does he play it safe and start Peterman with no explanation?....he his pretty forthright on his moves explanation (COUGH), right?......which way do you guys see him leaning if Allen acquits himself today?.......

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..the whole damn thing is a conundrum for me (as expected).....is today's Allen performance the deciding lynch pin for McD?........if Allen shines, is it a done deal?.......or with McD's continual TC QB rotation, does he play it safe and start Peterman with no explanation?....he his pretty forthright on his moves explanation (COUGH), right?......which way do you guys see him leaning if Allen acquits himself today?.......

Ok but repeat what y ou said above into a classic batman cliff hanger ending

• Haha (+1) 3